Eileen Nearne; Forgotten Past

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by OSLO, Sep 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Forgotten Past

That is one real sad story.
    Surely they could find a little corner in the Imperial War Museum to display her picture, a paragraph or two on her story and pride of place for her medals.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Forgotten Past

Does anyone have a contact in the RBL at Torquay to give them the heads up if they haven't already had one?

3. Re: Forgotten Past

Or Buster Quinn our resident RBL rep.

4. Re: Forgotten Past

Tragic that she died alone and unnoticed. Nobody should end that way. Especially not such a brave and decent soul. RIP and sincerest condolence. Wish I still lived down in Exeter as then I'd pay respects properly. So tragic

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Looks like the media interest has had some effect, the BBC story has been updated and includes the following paragraphs.

6. Re: Forgotten Past

Yup, well done one and all, especially the RBL for saying (and saying loudly) that they'll be there. Apparently, the funeral home is footing the bill, there will be a church service and the coffin will be draped with a Union flag. THe more I've read about this lady's exploits, the sadder the story of her later life.

7. Re: Forgotten Past

A fitting tribute.

8. Re: Forgotten Past

Its a shame the govt of the Nation she served so admirably didnt take on the burden of giving her the honor she deserved

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Agreed with one minor change