Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effect of the bad economy on RN recruitment?

dunkers

War Hero
Unemployment is rising and the RN is recruiting. Does this mean that the number of recruits is likely to increase, and ease up the undermanning / gapping problem? Anyone seen anything to suggest this?

The armed forces have done well (for manpower) out of a poor economy in the past. Now that jobs are increasingly scarce and Britain is withdrawing from Iraq, will the RN be seeing an increase in applications, if it isn't already.

Just a thought.

The numbers coming through the door always go up at this time of the year. But yes it does seem to be making a difference to the number of applications.

Supermario

:nemo:

foxtrot

Badgeman
Just two days ago I saw a Navy advertisement on the TV for aircrew, surely that means they are still able to actively recruit despite the economic downturn? Its certainly a positive for me!

Oh good.
New recruits that don't really want to be here and are just running away from the "crunch". Woopee doo. Can't wait for them to get to the real RN.

_Tim_

Banned
I imagine that they'll incrase. A career guaranteed for up to 24 years-assuming 16 when you enter- for most. In the recession, who would complain?

Go in, qualify as this, that or another for free and leave after your minimum term to get a job elsewhere.

I agree with Katy, though.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
The Forces have always been an option for those who're on their chinstraps in civvydom, it doesn't make them any worse or better Recruits than those who join for other reasons, ie going to the Royal Tournament (Or it's downscaled modern equivalent, a stand with a few pamphlets at the local jumble sale.) as a nipper and deciding "That's the job for me.".
It could even be a motivation factor during training, as they know they're options outside are limited and therefore they'll dig out to ensure they pass.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
Lamri said:
Oh good.
New recruits that don't really want to be here and are just running away from the "crunch". Woopee doo. Can't wait for them to get to the real RN.

Might not be all bad shippers. I ran away from a crap job at Asda, 11 years on I've got a good career on the go and am loving it, generally.

You always get a certain percentage of dross, but they either leave or get "persuaded" into better ways.

dunkers

War Hero
Lamri said:
Oh good.

But won't the increased number of applications allow for more stringent recruit selection? Since there will be a greater supply of "good" applicants?

chieftiff

War Hero
Grubber said:
Lamri said:
Oh good.

Might not be all bad shippers. I ran away from a crap job at Asda, 11 years on I've got a good career on the go and am loving it, generally.

You always get a certain percentage of dross, but they either leave or get "persuaded" into better ways.

I joined up because the company I was working for went into liquidation and the dole queue was about 3 million people long! 25 years later I decided I'd had enough fun. All of the dross had dropped out after the first real challenge they faced at Raleigh or Daedalus only those who enjoyed it stayed on, those who weren't interested just couldn't maintain the motivation to put up with the bullshit.

dunkers said:
Lamri said:
Oh good.

But won't the increased number of applications allow for more stringent recruit selection? Since there will be a greater supply of "good" applicants?

Considering how long it takes to change anything in the mob, how long do you think it would take to implement more stringent selection of recruits?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Have the RN still got the NAMET? They used to keep dropping the scores on that to get more Killicks etc, so if it does remain, I suppose to get in the Mob now you might need a 1:1 and to be a Tiff maybe a 3:3? Or am I just a silly old sceptic?

dunkers

War Hero
Lamri said:
dunkers said:
Lamri said:
Oh good.

Considering how long it takes to change anything in the mob, how long do you think it would take to implement more stringent selection of recruits?

By the time it was implemented, the economy would be hoofing again.
Which means we'd have shot ourselves in the foot. So yeah good point :thumright:

Guzzler

War Hero
SONAR-BENDER said:
Have the RN still got the NAMET? They used to keep dropping the scores on that to get more Killicks etc, so if it does remain, I suppose to get in the Mob now you might need a 1:1 and to be a Tiff maybe a 3:3? Or am I just a silly old sceptic?

There is no NAMET now S-B, but if there was a 1-1 to enter would be a huge rise in standards, not a drop (0-0 was the highest).

There are no longer tiffs joining either I'm afraid.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Research into the Sawtooth Effect published MoD News 0
Sumo How will this effect Bombers and Fastlane? Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS Effect of pandemic on children's wellbeing revealed in new report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rule of six comes into effect to tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New study to understand effect of COVID-19 on veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Minimum and Living Wage increases come into effect MoD News 0
theoldti FTRS effect of pay rise on pension abatement Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees to mitigate the effect of unequal GMP's on pension income MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Biggest ever increase to National Living Wage comes into effect MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Safeguards governing investigatory powers come into effect MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New research will examine effect of gender norms on men and boys MoD News 0
G Will my eye condition effect my application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
D How will Scottish Independence effect the military? Current Affairs 18
M Will debt effect my rn appliacation??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
soleil ThisIsSomerset: "Lynx Effect Sparked Love Of Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 0
M The "Cameron effect" on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
jesse Rum Ration is having a strange effect on me! Diamond Lil's 1
G Afghanistan effect on mental health Current Affairs 5
J Ignual Hernia effect my eligibility to join the RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
GSSR_Vvd Deployment to effect full time application??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Bad news The Quarterdeck 14
Stirlin Bad Religion. Current Affairs 3
O How bad is the Aircrew Pilot/Observer Qualification pipeline? Joining the Royal Navy 8
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
MoD_RSS Raising expectations of children and parents, high standards for teachers and tackling bad behaviour: how schools in ‘left behind’ areas can improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Schools backed to tackle bad behaviour MoD News 0
S Is my eyesight too bad for the navy? Health & Fitness 3
Waspie SB-1, Bad Guys-0 The Corps 4
J Loans for bad credit UK | low credit score | FleetQuid Finance & Pensions 1
Stirlin Good news bad news. Diamond Lil's 45
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
WelshJaffaCake Apprenticeships: The Good,The Bad and The Ugly Current Affairs 13
Walter_white HMS RALEIGH 27th Nov Good or bad date? Joining the Royal Navy 39
RSPE With the kind permission of site admin (Bad Co) - It's a pleasure to bring you this event..... The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
RSPE With the kind permission of site admin (Bad Co) - It's a pleasure to bring you this event..... The Gash Barge 0
RSPE With the kind permission of site admin (Bad Co) - It's a pleasure to bring you this event..... Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
RSPE With the kind permission of site admin (Bad Co) - It's a pleasure to bring you this event..... Competitions 0
Bondy93 Bad News! (Medically unfit for Aircrewman) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
stan_the_man Good days bad days Diamond Lil's 0
M How bad is the PRNC??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Waspie Bad - Bad Communists Current Affairs 5
frogman007 Bad first day at the office!! The Gash Barge 0
stan_the_man days days fcucking bad days Health & Fitness 28
B Bad day Submariners 0
witsend Romania & Bulgaria (Not that bad?) Diamond Lil's 6
Vrumm Submarines, The Good and Bad Submariners 48
SONAR-BENDER Request for Good and Bad COs Site Issues 7
Waspie I've done a bad thing. Diamond Lil's 0
F Bad taste, or just a bit of fun ? Diamond Lil's 8
SONAR-BENDER Bad luck MLP! Diamond Lil's 13