Educational Opportunities

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ShinyMan, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm seriosuly considering submitting an application to join the RN as an AET. My question is with regards to the opportunities available to ratings within the RN to further develop their educational qualifications. I understand the trade will, in itself, provide me with civilian recognised qualifications for the future, however, i would be interested in working towards gaining a foundation degree if at all possible.
  2. All depends how motivated you are at the time, but it can be done.
  3. I am 17 and want to redo my GCSE'S in Maths,English and Science, is there anyone who is actually serving or know that you can resit them?
  4. Yes I've known shipmates to resit exams during their time in the mob. As SJRM has said you get learning credits

When you're in most units/bases and ships have some one who is the education officer and will give you the information you require
  5. Albeit they were O levels when I did them but I took Maths, Physics and Tech Drawing (in my own time) 'cos I was bored. Also did an HNC in Electronic engineering for the same reason, all paid for by the pusser 'cos they were branch related. Same applies today, get your arse down the education centre as soon as you get in, all establishments have them plus every unit has a nominated education officer.
  6. True, I left in Oct 08 and am about to request ELC for a degree course.

As for Quals, when I came out of training all I got was a C & G pt 2. They they gave me a NVQ3 for answering some questions. I completed a HNC (with Chief Tiffs help) which was paid for with my 1st bite of the ELC cherry.

So the answer to the question is there are loads of opportunities to gain quals, if you can keep off the piss long enough to study. Mortgage/Wife and Child stopped me going on the piss.
  7. Again, did all my GCSE's whilst in the Mob.
  8. Ok thanks for the answers, i did not do as good as i should of, just want to put stuff right
  9. Can you take A Levels as well, or if you have completed training at NVQ level 2, can you request Level 3 NVQ training if you are good enough?

10. Being a Jock could i do GCSE's when i get in or could i be doing highers? I don't suppose it would make much of a difference mind just a curiosity.
  11. Everyone in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines has the opportunity to study for extra qualifications regardless of their rank. Many training courses lead, either wholly or in part, to civilian-recognised qualifications. Opportunity for all. The Royal Navy encourages all its people to reach their full potential. Many who join the Service with no formal qualifications gain GCSEs, A-levels or even degrees while serving. Funding - Generous levels of financial support are available for external training, whether directly relevant to the Royal Navy or not, mainly under two different schemes.

All Naval personnel can claim up to £175 per year, for all kinds of training courses, under the Standard Learning Credits scheme.

The Enhanced Learning Credits scheme offers assistance to personnel who have served for a longer period of time (4 years minimum). Under this scheme, you qualify for awards for training of up to £6,000 over 3 years, which can be used either while in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines, or as much as 10 years after leaving.

Hope this helps you all