Education

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Novocastrian, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there are plenty of people in the RN currently undergoing some type of study. Is there any chance of instigating an 'Education' board where people can post advice on such topics as the OU/SLC/ELC/Course4forces etc.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a natural home for this type of discussion. Apologies if I have inadvertently missed such a place. It doesn't necessarily have to reside in the resettlement section. Many serving Matelot's at the beginning of their careers are now using SLC's/ELC's etc to their advantage.

Any thoughts?

2. Wot's Edumacation then??? :roll:

3. Education , Education , Education ,
    RN the university of life :roll: :lol:

4. Sounds like a good idea. There's information out there but not always available to all personnel - particularly those of us working away from the mainstream. Could be useful from a resettlement perspective too. Any schoolies out there willing to take this on / contribute?

SF

5. Its what people like me and you should have been doing all those years ago in Brazil. :lol:

6. Did you's two happen to be on HMS Hecla by any chance on the Brazil trips , I was on her 90 to 93 :roll:

7. (Puts on Education and Resettlement Officer hat)

I would strongly urge all those eligible to sign up for Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) even if you have no intention of using them. You may not want it now but you may in the future and if they are still usuable for up to five years after leaving the mob then where's the harm in signing up for it?

Same for Standard Learning Credit (SLC). You get £175 a year, free, to do some sort of course that's not directly service related. For example, improving your language skills. You have to use it in that year though, you can't roll over your SLC to following years.

(Takes hat off)

8. That's affirmative big boobies, we are old shipmates then :D

9. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I believe the window for registering for the ELC scheme has now closed apart from new entries. However, IIRC there will be a window of opportunity for people who didn't register previously to do so and I believe this is in 2008. You'd have to be very foolish not to do so as I think it's outstanding that the MOD will give you six grand over 3 years to better yourself!

The official bumf on SLC is that it has to benefit the forces in some way or another. The courses I'm doing are as about as detached from my trade as you can get. When I was asked how it would benefit the forces, I said that better educated ratings are an asset to the Naval Service :D

Oh, and if you're not able to drive, you've got no excuse now as SLC's are allowed to be used for driving lessons now. Make sure that whatever course you do though, that you register with the Education Office BEFORE you start the course otherwise they will not reimburse you upon succesful completion of the course.

10. What courses are you doing shippers?

11. the_matelot

BA (Hons) in Social Sciences with Geography & Politics comprised of

Cert in Social Sciences
    Diploma in Geography
    Diploma in Politics and Governments
    Remaining modules are in IT/Management

12. An education site would be a good idea. I'm currently the A/ERO onboard my ship (you don't get paid for doing it nowdays either), and education is very big at the moment.

Currently studying with the OU, BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences. Now in my 4th year and just 130 points accumulated, this is due to ships programme and only able to do 30 points at a time.

13. Its very difficult to work it around the ships programme, I dipped in and got a vv.cushy draft which is allowing me to do 130 points this year alone. Means I will finisth my degree in 5 years instead of 6.

14. All the forums on RR are ridiculouysly organised. "The Fleet" is just a general posting forum, none of the Mods enforce forum discipline (unlike ARRSE) and there are boards that no-one uses (Charity, Bases etc) and lots that are needed instead.

But despite me PMing the Mods, no-one has bothered to reply, let alone explain the policy. Take this forum. By rights, this should only be about surface ships. Nothing else. But it is used entirely for general discussions (exactly the same as J_D's Quarterdeck, which is where these talks should be).

Anyone care to explain the RR policy towards suggestions .like this?

15. the_matelot

Geoffrey, stop trying to stir crap and talking bull. You haven't sent me one PM with your concerns. The purpose of 'The Fleet' is not to talk about surface ships only-it's to do with all issues concerning to matelots currently serving. If you've got an issue with Education such as why SLC haven't increased in value in over 9 yrs despite inflation, JPA and the impact that this will have on your admin when you cannot get connectivity to the system, Topmast and how the navy has decided to concentrate on JR's welfare and wonder why SR's with valuable experience have had enough and leave etc, The Fleet is a place to put it.

16. whats wrong with good old NAMET Maths and English :lol: