Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Education results going into the RN

Eggy_Russ

Badgeman
In my case I've finished my gcse tests months ago now achieving decent grades ( not to sure if I should say what I got ). Just wondering if these results can restrict someone from being able to get promoted to a certain level or maybe, let's say you have a certain preference to train/work on a specific aircraft which is a very popular and spaces are limited maybe, would gcse or any type of education results like degrees or A-levels etc help/hinder someone? Does it opens more doors?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For promotion beyond CPO, you need GCSE's.

It neither helps or hinders promotion as a rating however, it may open doors to gaining a commission if you have a minimum of 5 GCSE's A*-C, including maths & English....if you also have adequate leadership/management potential.

The thing to be wary of is assuming academic attainment is an indicator of anything beyond eligibility for promotion. Nowadays we are seeing more & more graduates joining as Ratings. Why? Because there are more graduates and a degree bears no relevance to leadership potential or aptitude although it may present more accesbility for the individual to acquire those skills whilst at uni.

BoxSwallow

This is my first post on here but I had another question along this vain. If I do poorly in my A-levels but still get grades good enough to meet the 180 UCAS points needed to apply, will it affect my possibilities of actually passing AIB and being accepted into BRNC? Will my grades be compared to that of the other applicants to decide if I get a place or not, will I be more likely to get a place with higher grades or is it more based on management and leadership qualities shown than academic ability?

Thanks in advance :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Selection is based on the AIB grades, not academic achievement. In other words a person applying (for a branch that does not require vocational qualifications) who has a PhD is no more likely to be selected than someone meeting the minimum required academic qualifications. Unless they otherwise score exactly the same at AIB & are otherwise exactly the same in all other aspects of selection.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MOD Education Support Fund results 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary says post-16 options better than ever, as GCSE results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary wishes pupils good luck with A level results MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North East talent awarded prizes for education contributions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd investment in education and skills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baroness Sugg speech on girls' education at UNESCO’s Global Education Meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary urges overhaul of adoption system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary urges overhaul to adoption system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Kenya to host major education summit in 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New remote education support for schools, colleges and teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools and early education inspection update: academic year 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major expansion of post-18 education and training to level up and prepare workers for post-COVID economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gavin Williamson, Education Secretary letter to Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring 12 years of quality education for children around the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary sets out aims for higher education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Written statement from Chair of Ofqual to the Education Select Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Susan Acland-Hood made Acting Permanent Secretary at the Department for Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary appointment of Second Permanent Secretary at the Department for Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to heads of admissions, higher education - 7 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator opens statutory inquiry into Birmingham-based education charity, after continued non-compliance with governance requirements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports college as it offers female education in Saudi Arabia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Universities Minister speech at Festival of Higher Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investing in education and accelerating action on the SDGs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Powerhouse Education, Skills, and Employment Summit 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major overhaul of higher technical education announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting every child's right to quality education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Angelina Jolie and UK call for support to protect education for refugee children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary FE speech with Social Market Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 02 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid will help provide millions of Palestinians with healthcare and education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protecting children in conflict and ensuring access to education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 19 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator opens statutory inquiry into Yorkshire-based education charity, following repeated non-compliance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult education budget: S31 grant determination letters 2020 to 2021 MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Education Secretary accelerates T Level roll-out MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Courts shut down rogue education publisher MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to review students’ and apprentices’ online further education experience MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adapting teaching practice for remote education at a special needs secondary school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A mixed approach to remote education at a primary school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 16 May MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK education providers are helping teachers, parents and students respond to the impact of COVID-19 worldwide MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools to benefit from education partnership with tech giants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to 9 April direction from Secretary of State for Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to 31 March direction from Secretary of State for Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary speech at ASCL's Annual Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for Item 3 General Debate on Girls' Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM appoints new Special Envoy for Girls’ Education ahead of International Women’s Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary: We're going on a discipline drive in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Department for Education ministerial portfolios confirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New National Plan to shape the future of music education MoD News 0