Edinburgh University ends funding for US drone component maker

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Sep 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably a bone question but why/how has Edinburgh University an "investment portfolio of about £230m"? Is this admitting that the Scottish Capital's University is just another business? I wonder how much it gets from Parliamentary or Assembly Grants.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Strange (but always disappointing) how stupid the well-educated can be.

3. Odd. Surely companies sponsor Universities - not the other way round?

4. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

The investments may well be amalgamated legacies and trusts used to fund reseach or phds from the returns on investment, this would be separate from state funding for under grads.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

5. Maybe I'm missing something but, from the "accounts" Link kindly provided by SJRM_RN, I always find it odd that organisations can have debts draining far more than investments can be accruing. There again, if Ultra dividends are sufficiently high and the share values appreciating enough to make it a net gain, gashing the shares will cost the University far more than it will hurt Ultra. Still it will keep those great patriots, Ms Gilfedder, Ms Schmidt and the bleeding heart students happy.

6. I agree but perhaps some of them are not as well educated as they think they are and taxpayers are entitled to expect!