Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submarine

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mmmm,

If it is a Brit Boat in this production then there is every chance that a DSRV will quickly arrive and rescue at least a few of the unfortunate crew.

Bob

2. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

In my opinion the Kursk incident was tragic. A recent event with families coming to terms with their grief. Although on national TV in almost graphic detail it was news. I would not like to see it in a Fringe theatre which is supposed to be about entertainment. Unless they all get rescued and no mention of the Kursk is made.

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Being as its in Edinburgh, should'nt be a problem finding a doctor to inject the lady at the press conference. The junkie is bound to nick the needle.

4. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

General question about deep sea recovery/rescue. I assume that when various countries build their boats they have a standard universal rescue connection. Is that the case? One of those questions I wished I had asked before. :wink:

5. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

Of course they do, which is why the DSRV seat has a CE mark stamped on it to show compliance, Gerber.

6. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

Thanks, thought so but didn't know for certain :oops:

7. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

I worked on a (losing) bid for the NATO Submarine Rescue System, and the rescue vessel used a flexible collar that sealed to the DISSUB's hull: so provided the casing wasn't too damaged or obstructed, you could mate up to just about anyone's hatch. It's not that there's a "standard connection", rather that the rescue craft are designed to cope with what they find.

8. It says the story is told from the perspective of a British Submarine 'keeping tabs' on the Russians. This would indicate that it is not a fictional story about a British boat sinking in a similar manner to the Kursk. Looks like a an interesting play none the less. Shame the OOW hasn't ironed his shirt, scruffy cnut.

Edited to add: 'A time to die: The Kursk Disaster' is a cracking read if anyone is looking for a good book. If someone wants my copy send me a PM and make a £5 donation to Hols4Heroes, I will send it to you.

9. Re: Edinburgh Festival: New drama "Kursk" set on a RN submar

P-O-L

I suspect that there may be two very different plays portraying the Kursk tragedy - one is an Australian production - the Janowicz one - featuring Russian characters - the second, the one which is on at Edinburgh, is an entirely British production and is set on a Royal Navy submarine.