Eczema - Medical

Hi is this still the case? Treatment free for 3 years? I passed my test last week but was only at the doctors 3 weeks ago for treatment and Steroid cream
It's no good piggy backing on another thread, hoping to get a different answer than the one that you've already been given.

So I've basically got to give up on my dream for the next 3 years with out a fight

Options are if I don't tell them they find out through my doctors notes nd DQ me
Or I do tell them nd they DQ me any aye

So I've basically got to give up on my dream for the next 3 years with out a fight

Options are if I don't tell them they find out through my doctors notes nd DQ me
Or I do tell them nd they DQ me any aye
Basically, yes. Here's the extract from the JSP that Ninja mentioned. I've found it for you as you obviously can't be arsed.

4. Atopic dermatitis. Conditions diagnosed as eczema should also be included in this category. A history of atopic dermatitis is considered to increase the likelihood of irritant contact dermatitis on exposure to irritants (such as oils, greases, detergents) but usually only if the condition was severe in childhood and particularly if it involved the hands118. Candidates with a history of atopic dermatitis within the last 3 years should normally be graded P8119. For candidates who have been symptom free for over 3 years, the presence of the following risk factors should be considered:

a. Functional impairment120.

b. Dermatitis of the hand(s).

c. Secondary care involvement121.

If none of the above factors are present, the candidate may be graded P2. If any of the above is present, the candidate should be referred to the single-Service Consultant Occupational Physician responsible for recruit selection for more detailed consideration.

If you don't disclose your eczema, the Navy will find out and sack you.

I am sorry but Eczema is a nasty thing to get cleared up at the best of time, let alone in a tin can surrounded by various cleaning chemicals, fuels, greases blah blah.

Those guys n girls who have found they are allergic to something never seem to recover once found.

Just imagine having a bloody nasty flare up in the middle of the oggin and all you want to do is pull yer skin off, what are you going to do then?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to add, of the 120 people medically discharged from HMS Raleigh last year, about 52% of them arrived with undisclosed pre-existing medical issues. Technically, they could've all been prosecuted for fraud as well as effectively being sacked.

When one considers it costs about £7 or £8k to get an applicant as far as Raleigh, wasting nigh on half a million quid a year on fraudsters tends to draw little by way of sympathy.

go see your Recruiter give them the facts, and let them get you the official answers, then you will know for sure?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm gonna continue with my application and hope for the best
Ultimately, the only person able to give definitive advice in this area is the medical examiner once he/she has sighted your medical records relating to the issue.

As stated, if the eczema is apparent at the medical, after joining or you have received precribed medication for eczema in the last three years then the odds are unfortunately not in your favour. Good luck, nonetheless.

Think my dream is over as stated before I have its all over my arms and hands (skin Flaking) using cream provided me by the doctor 2 weeks ago so it's on my medical records it has also spread to my chest and arms. The medical offI certainly gonna notice the scares etc even if it had cleared up

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Were you aware this maybe an issue from the outset or has this issue only just become apparent?

Reason for asking is that if you were completely unaware, then we need to clarify the medical standards for entry on the RN website.

I can't imagine it going well like I've mentioned it's all scabby on my arms nd hands (skin cracking on hands) and my backs flared up. I'm supposed to have my interview tomorrow in Hull

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I can't imagine it going well like I've mentioned it's all scabby on my arms nd hands (skin cracking on hands) and my backs flared up. I'm supposed to have my interview tomorrow in Hull
It gets worse...I'm conducting selection interviews in Hull tomorrow. I am on the train right now.

Assum!! presume it's just a interview nd not a medical. Thankfully I've not used my real name on signing up to the forum

Last edited: