Eczema - Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Webster, Feb 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a patch of eczema about the size of a £5 note and after trying various creams it's not clearing up. I have my medical next week and was wondering what the implications will be. I had infantile eczema but nothing for years now so It's bad timing as oppose to an actual serious condition. Thanks for any feedback.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Active eczema can be an issue, particularly if prescribed treatment within the last couple of years. The reason for this is because we use synthetic oils and greases on ships, aircraft, vehicles & weapons which can make the condition worse. For obvious reasons, if it is active, you can hardly claim you don't have it.

Ultimately, it's the medical officers call on the day, but people have been medically discharged from New Entry because of it, even after passing the initial medical.

Good luck.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try a search of
    [h=2]Eczema[/h]in the search box at the top right hand corner

4. Thanks for the help (Y)

5. Ezcema is a benign condition in civvy life, but as NS says we live and work with a lot of chemicals, greases etc that will make it runcriot.

Active ezcema has a 3 year deferral period following the last recorded symptoms and / or treatment.

The Dr will make a decision on what they find at your medcial, but it does not look promising. Sorry.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

6. I meant to say run riot, sorry!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have visited a private doctor and been prescribed some steroid cream. I went private this time to avoid it showing up on my records. I have been allergy tested and I'm allergic to dairy protein which apparently has been the cause of my eczema. It's day two and it's clearing up nicely, my medical is approaching soon so il keep you posted for future reference if anybody cares.

8. Ok, lets put things in a straight line, 1. You have visited a doctor 'off the books' for your condition. 2. It has been confirmed through testing that you have a reaction to a dairy protein causing the ezcema.

This means:

1. You will run out of the cream, which means the condition will return.
    2. You have a condition that you can't control when you join because you have no idea what is in the food from Service sources including rations pack etc.

Finally,

3. You have openly declared that you have a condition that may prevent your Service entry, and plan to fraudulently enter the Service by withholding that information.

I am sure your family will be proud when you are discharged from the RN for being a cheat. Do me (and the rest of the RN) a favour and think again about your potential career.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

In short:

Active eczema = no go
    Food allergy = no go
    Telling porkies to Peterborough AFCO = Not good.

10. I see what your saying, I wasn't going to hide the fact from the AFCO (they already know) (And it's Camebridge?) I just did't want it on my records as someone mentioned the deferral. I guess il talk to them again and see what they say, otherwise it looks like I need to look down other avenues

11. Why don't you get your eczema cleared up with steroids + emollients. You sound like a mild case. Then apply again-it is possible to put eczema into remission for ages.

Declare everything- the NHS can easily sort this out. Incidentally skin prick allergy +es+s in eczema are a waste of time, as you react to everything

12. Ninja_Stoker

The power of internet diagnosis, eh?

"You sound like a mild case"

It needs to be in remission & treatment-free for about three years.

13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

mild eczema? it's still eczema and a stopper to joining.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  14. As a doctor/ GP have not come across a case of eczema that did not at least intermittent treatment with emollients. If you can persuade the royal naval powers that be to accept that then you have a chance.

Otherwise you could always go to medical
    School like I did - could earn a fair bit too in the long run. Good luck

15. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Joyika, do you have any experience of the RN recruiting process?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

16. No-just do the odd army
    Medical form
    Now (guess thats because recruitment low in my area) .Bow down to your superior knowledge on this matter. Know loads about eczema though

17. Ok-did not mean to cause any offence. After reading up, like you, recommend they find another career path

18. You sound ever so important.

19. As a tax payer who will end up paying for you to be medically discharged why don't just not bother. Thats as polite as I can put it.

• Like Like x 1