EC

having been offered EC, I am still struggling to decide what to do (have a couple of months to go till the deadline)

I did the old Pro's and Con's list.
Trouble is, the Pro's list is very small. (and struggle to see it NOT shrinking further as time goes by)
I believe that should I take another 10 years, most of that will be on board, which is the big problem.

Looks like I will reluctantly turn it down and see my last couple of years out and say cheerio

anyone else tussle over this conundrum?

Not really, I got (and took) 2OE10, bought a bigger house and paid off my mortgage and financed my youngest through Uni. A guaranteed wage (and a good one for the South West) for 10 years was what swayed it for me.

I knew (as an S/M ME) it would be mostly sea going, which it was, but it was one of the scenarios wifey and I had discussed if I was offered it.

Not really, I got (and took) 2OE10, bought a bigger house and paid off my mortgage and financed my youngest through Uni. A guaranteed wage (and a good one for the South West) for 10 years was what swayed it for me.

I knew (as an S/M ME) it would be mostly sea going, which it was, but it was one of the scenarios wifey and I had discussed if I was offered it.
trouble is, I really do not get excited about COs rounds, the next cocktail party, being pinged for duty short notice, trying to manage the next PWO with their good idea's trying to stamp their mark, being FRE/TAPS and further career will no doubt include at least one 9-monther (again)......

being shoreside, that is a different matter but I know I wont be as that appears to be the same people rotating around the desks :-(

Offered 2OE(10) and much to my DO's surprise told him I was doing one!! (I had said I wanted it just to be offered it, so I could take great pleasure in turning down).

I left at the right time, it could have been easy street up at Cott/Witt however that went pear shaped a year after I left (Harriers scrapped) and as I had a house in the area (and a job to go to). The crabs were doing my nut in and I need to go.

If I was single, I may have suffered it a bit longer, but promotion had more or less stopped for old school AEM's and I didn't want to do AET's course at Sultan (egg sucking). Earning more now that a Level 7 PO just have to buy my own socks, and pay for dental check ups.

babygravy

Lantern Swinger
Wonder what the average RN career length will be soon. 6 years?

It is obviously becoming unattractive for matelots to extend beyond 22, and even more concerning that many are not going to reach the half-pension point, let alone the full 22 years!

The carrot on the end of the stick gets smaller and smaller...

It is obviously becoming unattractive for matelots to extend beyond 22, and even more concerning that many are not going to reach the half-pension point, let alone the full 22 years!

What do you think the main reason is? Too long at sea? Too much petty crap? Better offers elsewhere? Interesting for young ones joining to give it some thought.

Average length of time most serve (in all 3 services) is 6 to 7 years and has been for decades, @NinjaStoker will probably be able to confirm that.

babygravy

Lantern Swinger
What do you think the main reason is? Too long at sea? Too much petty crap? Better offers elsewhere? Interesting for young ones joining to give it some thought.
I think at the moment, civvy jobs appear to pay better for putting up with a lot less crap. This may change if Brexit kills the economy, then public sector jobs will become favourable then.

Also, youngsters now have different expectations (ie 24/7 internet connectivity, not being shouted and told what to do, cleaning 2 deck etc)

The manpower shortages are putting extra pressure on the sea going sailors to go from pillar to post. Then seeing the shin-splint brigade mincing around Nelson their whole career is just another kick in the balls/minge.

Dunno what the answer is, pulling out of some global commitments might take off some pressure though...

Sumo

War Hero
I took the go civy at 22 option, told them to ram 2oe, way before time, irony, I ended up working 13 yrs away as a civy, on less money than a matelots, but the pension topped it up a bit, I went as I knew it would have been virtually 10 at sea, all those that said yes had a sea draft return of post.
I went at right time for me.

I left at 22 and was also offered 2OE, I decided to leave whilst I still had good memories of my time in the mob. I now do a similar job, land based with a quarter of the responsibilities as a chief for the same money and of course my pension puts me on the same money as my shift team leader. I still have an RN connection through volunteering with the SCC. If you have to ask, I would probably say you have made your mind up and won't take it. Word of advice, you will not get the same kind of work ethos from civvys, about 50% are lazy back stabbing lying towed rags, some others however, I would have happily served with.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I left at 22 and was also offered 2OE, I decided to leave whilst I still had good memories of my time in the mob. I now do a similar job, land based with a quarter of the responsibilities as a chief for the same money and of course my pension puts me on the same money as my shift team leader. I still have an RN connection through volunteering with the SCC. If you have to ask, I would probably say you have made your mind up and won't take it. Word of advice, you will not get the same kind of work ethos from civvys, about 50% are lazy back stabbing lying towed rags, someone I would have happily served with.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
barny I would go more than 50%, when at BAE lots of ex RN so not to bad, where I am now, one other did 22 and a few that did a dog watch, including a WAFU and he is a weird miserable twat, don't think he likes me? This place has changed hands a few times, so the constant back stabbing is mental

I have no idea how I will go with regards to EC
as long as good promotion prospects are there, will probably stay on. That is a big 'if' I guess but who knows

Latest Threads