eblueys- who sees them?

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Vardy, May 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im sorry for repeating if its already on here but ive searched and got bugger all thats relevant back.

Just had a text from my OH which was lovely but it was 20 mins after Id just finished my first ebluey to him. I put his service number on it and stuff but OH said "please dont send email until ive sorted my own email address out on ship as the whole ship will see it"

is this the case? if its an ebluey, its got his number on it etc. the ebluey website said that they get printed off and only the recipient and the sender see the content. is this really right? or do others actually see it?

Amy x x x

2. oh thank god. i dont want him getting pissed off with me already for allowing the whole ship to see what ive written in the ebluey...its nothing majorly embarrassing but its just personal stuff and like most men, they dont like everyone knowing their personal stuff...especially my OH. i was lucky to get a good kiss in public at the train station, thats the sort my OH is. hehe.

what do you mean piped?

thanks for the reassurance
    Axxx

3. Piped nowadays means "announced over the main broadcast" (tannoy system). It used to be done via a bosun's pipe.

Mail being piped means that someone announces on the tannoy that the mail is ready for collection.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Exactly. Tell Sticks to sound off Mail Call.

5. They are secure but unless you've sent it to a land base don't expect it to be quick. Sent mine a valentine one on the 1st February this year it arrived after he had left the ship and got forwarded on 24th March!!

Sent one out to a ship in the Taurus fleet over a week ago and it still hasn't arrived even though they are in port at the moment, also sent a couple same day by BFPO via normal mail to see which arrives quickest

All I can say is thank the Lord for emails!!!
    :lol:

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Advice on e-blueys here...

From my own experience as a Forces' Postie (on land and on board ship), the e-bluey system is a great but under-used system, despite being free. As described already, once you've registered on the e-bluey website, you type your message as you would with an email. Once you select the recipient's address (by BFPO number), the message is saved on a secure server and the postal operators routinely download all messages, which are then printed and sealed automatically by machine (exactly the same way as pay slips are created); there is no requirement for anyone else to read the message. If your partner is land-based, the local Postal & Courier Troop (usually Royal Logistics Corps) will distribute the mail to units as necessary; the benefit of this is that the mail can be written, printed/sealed and delivered within a matter of hours (depending on download ability and distance between PCS Tp and FOB).

However if he is on board ship, the e-blueys are printed and sealed at the British Forces' Post Office at RAF Northolt in NW London and added to the rest of the ship's mail then sent onward by air globally and delivered to the ship by the ship's chandler - this could take a matter of days or even weeks, depending on the ship's location. Incidents of mail serials going missing are extremely rare and is often an administrative error, and the mail is usually forwarded to the ship eventually.

To reply to e-blueys, your partner can do so via the e-bluey website (if he has internet access on board or elsewhere) or he can write one 'handraulically', and add it to the outgoing mail.

There is a free packet service for all units operating as part of Op TELIC, Op HERRICK and HM Ships in Support. The free service will operate until further notice. Family and friends in UK and BFPOs can send packets up to 2Kg in weight free of charge to Op TELIC, Op HERRICK and HM Ships in support only, however there is NO Parcel Service to Op TELIC, Op HERRICK nor to HM Ships in support. More details here.

However be advised that some items should not be sent (see here for the list of BFPO prohibited items); these include:

Aerosols - Prohibited by the BFPO mails network- e.g. hairspray, deodorant, etc.
    Perishable goods - foods like fruit and meat.
    Fragile items - glass.
    Magazines containing pictures that might offend the cultural values of host nations, even though these might be widely available in the UK . 'Top shelf' magazines are an obvious example.

As I said, it's a good service and worth using, as it's free. Even in these days of emails, the atmosphere and morale in a messdeck improves when mail is received on board, even if it's a silly postcard or a three-week old newspaper! I'm sure your partner would appreciate the gesture... and he will reciprocate (probably with a cheap wooden carving from Mombasa or a silk robe from Singapore!) :wink: