Eats leaves and shoots

Sgt Pepper appears not to have the understanding to differentiate between grammatical solecisms (principally apostrophes) in ignorance and typographical ( wrong fingers on wrong buttons) errors.

Let me attempt to explain where he's confused.
1. Possessive apostrophes: St. Pepper's car -singular or
The Peppers' family cars -plural

2. Omitted apostraphe: Sgt. Pepper's petulant

Hope this helps

dogwatcher said:
Sgt Pepper appears not to have the understanding to differentiate between grammatical solecisms (principally apostrophes) in ignorance and typographical ( wrong fingers on wrong buttons) errors.

Hope this helps
What's an apostraphe?

dogwatcher said:

Hope this helps
The Thread should be called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

For any interested wordsmiths out there, try the book of the same title by Lynne Truss.

DOGWATCHER; even you might learn a thing or two about the much abused and often badly used punctuation mark.

:frustrated:

Streaky said:
dogwatcher said:

Hope this helps
What's an apostraphe?
I think it's a kind of typagraphical error.

Drakey said:
dogwatcher said:

Hope this helps

For any interested wordsmiths out there, try the book of the same title by Lynne Truss.

DOGWATCHER; even you might learn a thing or two about the much abused and often badly used punctuation mark.

:frustrated:
Would be delighted to learn further. Can you help? Of punctuation marks, I enjoyed the Spanish inverted question mark before and one our way up (correct) at the end of a question. It prepared the reader for the interrogative

Streaky said:
dogwatcher said:

Hope this helps
What's an apostraphe? :
Something similar to a disastrophe? :biggrin:

If you're a cannibal with a rifle it's "Shoots, eats, (preferably with a nice Chianti and fava beans), and leaves before Jodie Foster arrives.

Crabman said:
Streaky said:
dogwatcher said:

2. Omitted apostrophe: Sgt. Pepper's petulant

Hope this helps
What's an apostraphe? :
Something similar to a disastrophe? :biggrin:
That's what it might be if one gets it wrong. Very clever though!

Drakey said:

I also enjoyed "Talk to the hand", by Lynne Truss. A book about rudeness, on which theNorm must be an expert. Polymorph, The Borg, Legion, and now, theNorm. :ufo:

Ballistic said:
If you're a cannibal with a rifle it's "Shoots, eats, (preferably with a nice Chianti and fava beans), and leaves before Jodie Foster arrives.
Fava beans most appropriate with liver.
Hanibal Lecter---- A regular Anthropothagy

I hate to be pedantic (actually, I love to be pedantic, but who cares?) but 'Eats, shoots and leaves' does not make any sense. It should surely be 'Eats shoots and leaves' or 'Eats, shoots, and leaves', depending on the meaning one is attempting to give.

Joe_Crow said:
I hate to be pedantic (actually, I love to be pedantic, but who cares?) but 'Eats, shoots and leaves' does not make any sense. It should surely be 'Eats shoots and leaves' or 'Eats, shoots, and leaves', depending on the meaning one is attempting to give.
You're a prime candidate for the book.

:bounce:

Drakey said:
Joe_Crow said:
You're a prime candidate for the book.

:bounce:
What, as editor?

Joe_Crow said:
The one that makes no sense is the book title (see jacket). The second is a pandas diet. The third hides a great deal between commas, such as "wipes his d*ck on the curtains, throws money on the dresser"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Diamond Lil's 1
P The Fleet 8
all_purple_now Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7