Eats leaves and shoots

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by dogwatcher, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sgt Pepper appears not to have the understanding to differentiate between grammatical solecisms (principally apostrophes) in ignorance and typographical ( wrong fingers on wrong buttons) errors.

Let me attempt to explain where he's confused.
    1. Possessive apostrophes: St. Pepper's car -singular or
    The Peppers' family cars -plural

2. Omitted apostraphe: Sgt. Pepper's petulant

Hope this helps
  2. What's an apostraphe?
  3. Actually I think you will find it is eats, shoots and leaves. If you are Royal.

Or eats shoots, and leaves. If you are a panda.
  4. The Thread should be called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

For any interested wordsmiths out there, try the book of the same title by Lynne Truss.

DOGWATCHER; even you might learn a thing or two about the much abused and often badly used punctuation mark.

5. I think it's a kind of typagraphical error.
  6. Would be delighted to learn further. Can you help? Of punctuation marks, I enjoyed the Spanish inverted question mark before and one our way up (correct) at the end of a question. It prepared the reader for the interrogative
  7. Or eats pandas shoots and leaves if one enjoy omniverousness
  8. Something similar to a disastrophe? :biggrin:
  9. If you're a cannibal with a rifle it's "Shoots, eats, (preferably with a nice Chianti and fava beans), and leaves before Jodie Foster arrives.
  10. That's what it might be if one gets it wrong. Very clever though!
  11. I also enjoyed "Talk to the hand", by Lynne Truss. A book about rudeness, on which theNorm must be an expert. Polymorph, The Borg, Legion, and now, theNorm. :ufo:
  12. Fava beans most appropriate with liver.
    Hanibal Lecter---- A regular Anthropothagy
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Nuff said... :roll:
  14. thread merge to bucket o'shite in 3....2.....1.......
  15. I hate to be pedantic (actually, I love to be pedantic, but who cares?) but 'Eats, shoots and leaves' does not make any sense. It should surely be 'Eats shoots and leaves' or 'Eats, shoots, and leaves', depending on the meaning one is attempting to give.
  16. You're a prime candidate for the book.

17. What, as editor?
  18. The one that makes no sense is the book title (see jacket). The second is a pandas diet. The third hides a great deal between commas, such as "wipes his d*ck on the curtains, throws money on the dresser"