easier or harder

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by moggy_mad, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I appreciate the treadmill v road running has been ' done to death' .
    My son has now to book his PJFT with fitness first.
    We live in a rural location with country lanes and a busy A road, all 60mph with no pavements, grass verges and huge dykes ( can imagine the funny comments coming :lol: )
    Road as in road running is therfore a no no for a 17 year old at this time of the year when he gets home and it is dark.
    He has been training on our lane which is a green lane no tarmac which is just over half a mile, there and back and repeated. It's a pretty bumpy lane slight dips etc. At the mo with the tractors and the rain it is a mud bath !! Add the severe head wind one way in an exposed area it is all slowing him down.
    Thoughts on .... will he find a treadmill a walk in the park or struggle to get to grips with it ! easier or harder ?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A treadmill is easier for most as there is no wind resistance, no undulation & no weather to contend with.

That said, it's best practising before the PJFT on a treadmill a couple of times otherwise it feels downright strange.

After the PJFT, avoid treadmills entirely- always run outdoors if practicable.
  3. Totally agree with Ninja, I didn't run on a treadmill at all before my PJFT and I found it much harder than running on the road, probably because it's a strange experience.
  4. Treadmills are more of a mental test imo, if you can switch off and think of nothing for the duration then it's easy to run indefinitely. The second you look at the time remaining, it goes to hell and you can think of a million and one reasons to get off it :wink:
  5. I also run outdoors and thought I'd find the treadmill easy. After 6 mins of legging it, I was hanging out! I still done it well within the time given, but I wasn't proud. If I'd have practiced on the treadmill before hand, I'd have been able to pace myself better.
  6. thanks ninja :)
    He has got 3 x 1 day vouchers for fitness first let him have a go and see what happens... i have got to say it is the false environment of fitness first that worries me ie the treadmill, the heating, etc .
    He can do it , as a pass on our farm lane not in a stunning time like some of the 9 mins i read on here though ! 11.5 mins !
  7. reading your replys with interest thanks folks :)
    I think from what you have all said it is a mental test as well ie running with a machine !
  8. I couldn't agree more.
    However, in order to make it fair for everyone joining up it is the only way to measure everyones fitness in the same environment.
    As previously said, he will need to be familiar with treadmill running as it is very different to running on a farm track and being out in the elements. Once he passes the PJFT, bin the treadmill.
  9. I find it a lot easier to run on a treadmill, it's totally different to outside running even with an incline on the machine. Ever since my PJFT I mix it up, run 3 times a week on road and once in the gym so I'm not wasting my membership lol. I also picked up a couple injuries on a treadmill. Never had them from running on the road so it's probably the treadmill. Unless it's my trainers :eek:
  10. I found it harder on a treadmill, for some reason it took more effort than road running.
  11. Then you apply that mechanical precision to road running and realise that the road is not nice and steady and pop one ;)
  12. Ball, knee, shin, anything that is used to keeping up rather than exerting. Unless that's just me and something's hideously wrong with my legs 8O

EDIT: and my balls.
  13. He has passed it this tea time :) , set the treadmill at 12.5 km ph and just stuck with that pace, time he came in at was ? .......... i shall let you get on the calculators :lol:
    He found the treadmill and gym far more comfortable than a muddy, uneven howling wind farm track ( he had 3 practices this week), he is however ditching the treadmill now ........ they tried to sell him a membership 40 squid a month !
    Just the interview to go now, hopefully before xmas !
    Cheers folks
  14. I was on the treadmill for about 20 years before I saw sense. I never looked back!
  15. Pop your hip out love if you try it :lol:
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Best of luck to him- the difficult bit for many is keeping them sufficiently focused, particularly if there's a long wait to join.