Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EarthQuake hits Cyprus!

slim

War Hero
Turkey sent its army into Northern Cyprus to protect the Turkish Cypriots from the EOKO terrorists led by a certain archbishop Makarios.
Once again a war fuelled in the name of religion.
having worked in the North of Cyprus many times I found that most of the Northern Cypriots (they may speak Turkish but like to be referred to as Cypriots) would like the island to be unified. During my time there I witnessed several peaceful rallies calling for this.

andym

War Hero
And heres me thinking that the Turks were drafted in after requests from Squaddies for more Doner Kebab shops!!!!

slim said:
Turkey sent its army into Northern Cyprus to protect the Turkish Cypriots from the EOKO terrorists led by a certain archbishop Makarios.
having worked in the North of Cyprus many times I found that most of the Northern Cypriots (they may speak Turkish but like to be referred to as Cypriots) would like the island to be unified. During my time there I witnessed several peaceful rallies calling for this.

It was EOKA the greek led terrorist organisation. It was all part of a land grabbing exercise --the Brits controlled Cyprus till about 1960 as a protectorate - then we handed it over with sovereign rights to the air bases . Lots of squaddies killed there up to 1959 -dangerous place.

I think they put in a peace keeping force [Nato/UN?] when we left but the Turkish Cypriots were still getting slapped about or worse so Turkey decided enough was enough and invaded .
Turks are very good soldiers and had no problems -usual threats and muttering from the greeks but they left it as is --and no changes made since.

slim

War Hero
Greenie said:
slim said:

It was EOKA the greek led terrorist organisation. It was all part of a land grabbing exercise --the Brits controlled Cyprus till about 1960 as a protectorate - then we handed it over with sovereign rights to the air bases . Lots of squaddies killed there up to 1959 -dangerous place.

many thanks for correcting my terrorists.
As you say the reason for teh invasion was to protect the Turkish speaking cypriots.
I have spent time working in the North and have found the Northern Cypriots to be fantastic people, Doesnt seem to be any fanatism there

I think they put in a peace keeping force [Nato/UN?] when we left but the Turkish Cypriots were still getting slapped about or worse so Turkey decided enough was enough and invaded .
Turks are very good soldiers and had no problems -usual threats and muttering from the greeks but they left it as is --and no changes made since.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Cyprus hits Earthquake back!!! Diamond Lil's 2
daffy1 Earthquake hits Japan Current Affairs 1
A Earthquake hits Kent and causes possible damage in Dorset! Current Affairs 20
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement following earthquake in the Aegean Sea MoD News 0
NotmeChief Earthquake in Burma Diamond Lil's 0
silverfox Christchurch earthquake Current Affairs 27
sgtpepperband What was that? Oh, it was only an earthquake... Travel & The Great Outdoors 8
D Chile extends curfew to quell looting after earthquake Current Affairs 0
Stirling Chile earthquake Diamond Lil's 6
NotmeChief Wigan Earthquake Appeal - Please Help. The Quarterdeck 9
N UK HIT BY EARTHQUAKE The Gash Barge 4
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace hits record testing capacity as over 10 million people tested at least once MoD News 0
MoD_RSS M4 upgrade team shares insight on most complex work yet as project hits halfway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA hits the road with clear warning to tax it or lose it MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thriving UK jobs market hits record high employment rate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK – Japan trade hits record high in boost for Scottish firms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reaction Engines precooler test hits Mach 5 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Public urged not to take dangerous risks as Storm Diana hits Britain MoD News 0
Waspie Genoa Italy, Ship hits tower, 6 deaths Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk HMS Lancaster hits quay! Current Affairs 33
J JPA admin hits again UPO 19
soleil Operation Lanterne Rouge - HMS Defender Team Hits The Road For Charity The Fleet 0
soleil Milford & West Wales Mercury: "Popular Chaplain Hits The Road One Last Time" Bases / Shore Est 7
NotmeChief Rain hits Somali drought victims Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Intelligence unit deployed to Afghanistan as movie about WWII predecessor hits the sc Current Affairs 0
Andy_Cap Andy hits the 60 Year mark Today Diamond Lil's 39
W Stealth Sub Hits Stealth Rock (submerged threads) Current Affairs 84
soleil MoD: "Royal Navy's Sea Viper Missile System Hits Its Target" The Fleet 2
sgtpepperband Metro: "Lasagne sandwich hits Tesco shelves today" Diamond Lil's 3
soleil Sun: "Tornado Hits Iraq" The Corps 0
S Giant 'Freak Wave' hits cruise ship in the Med Current Affairs 19
soleil Navy News: "Pot Mess Hits the Spot" The Quarterdeck 2
Blackrat Should There Be a RR Greatest Hits Forum? Diamond Lil's 25
Clown_Puncher Why isn't there a RR greatest hits" forum? Diamond Lil's 38
trelawney126 PC Hits the Motorist, what Next? Diamond Lil's 21
trelawney126 Comms Procurement..hits a bad patch! Current Affairs 2
soleil Faslane CPO hits the road for charity Submariners 0
N Superb hits a rock in the Red Sea Current Affairs 4
Shakey Fleet Air Arm recruiting hits all time low The Quarterdeck 8
Maxi_77 Israeli PM hits the army where it hurts Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Royal Marines train with cutting-edge autonomous technology in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cyprus and Lithuania removed from the travel corridor list of exempt countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIO completes new homes for forces families in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint UK-Cyprus statement on the Sovereign Base areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe makes first official visit to Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS BHC to Cyprus speaks on combatting illicit finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Queen's Birthday celebration 2019 in Cyprus: High Commissioner's speech MoD News 0
B Cyprus - clarification on berths Travel & The Great Outdoors 3
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with President Anastasiades of Cyprus: 5 March 2019 MoD News 0