Earrings/Ear Stretchers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by potsjan, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

My son took his entrance test last month and passed with flying colours. He now has to wait around for his various medicals/fitness tests etc. Today he bought himself one of those ridiculous ear stretchers! He is determined to wear it, probably as a challenge, but I know if it turns out to be against RN rules common sense should prevail Can anyone enlighten me and my son as to the rules written or unwritten when dealing with earrings in general and ear stretchers in particular?

Many thanks.

2. Hello potsjan

Welcome to Rum Ration!

I've heard of this being a problem before; in that case, the lad described them as Flesh Tunnels.

I could quote you chapter and verse on piercings etc then let Ninja Stoker confirm his position later.

This is the question from the lad who had the Flesh Tunnels:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/45701-help-please.html

Edited to say:

potsjan, I realised after posting the link that there wasn't that much in it which would be useful to you. I'm sorry about that. I do know that the lad who posted it did eventually join the Royal Navy as a Chef. However, during the application process (which was a lot quicker then and time wasn't on his side), he was advised to stop wearing the Flesh Tunnels. Obviously, he wasn't going to be allowed to wear the little discs in his ears when serving and this was pointed out to him. He did stop wearing them. However, another matter of concern came up which was the size of the piercings in his ears which were left once he had taken them out, as the gaps in his ear lobes were judged to be a safety hazard. In his particular case, he had to have minor surgery at his GP's surgery to close up the holes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Cheers, Soleil. I'll point him in the direction of this board in the next couple of days. He's going in the comms branch like his two grandfathers, and I could imagine there'll be an issue with headsets!

4. Sounds like a good plan, potsjan.

He won't be able to wear these ear stretchers once he joins and he would be well advised not to create holes in his earlobes which are so big that they require surgery to close them up during the waiting period. I'll wait for Ninja and angrydoc to add their comments on this later.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. Minor point, but if surgery is required then it's up to him to sort that out before he joins - the Service will not provide it for him. The NHS may not see it as a priority operation and there may be a significant wait.

6. I bet he's a really interesting bloke, the sort any Father would be love his daughter to bring home.
    Also why doesn't the twunt spend some money on a decent haircut? That style was popular with William the Conquerer wasn't it?:laughing2:

The son of the OP probably thinks it's derigeur in the RN to have piercings, you watch she'll be dripping about the mess his tarred pigtail makes of his pillow cases next.:slow:

7. Must admit my liberal views take a knock here - what a fool.

Good comment about the Bill the Bastard haircut, think he had a bit more of a trim at the back, but can certainly see your point.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Must admit I didn't bother reading this thread on the assumption the person asking the question would be a person who has ear-stretchers bleating about being told to "do one" at his AFCO, rather than someone having the foresight to enquire.

What is rather interesting about most people who festoon themselves in tattoos & impale themselves with base metals, is they usually only consider employment prospects after the event. There are always those that try to push the boundaries - if we say no piercings in training or on duty, they immediately ask: "What, not even if I cover it with a sticking plaster?" in the assumption it's just a snagging hazard rather than an attitude to discipline & authority that applies equally. If we say no tattoos on the hands, neck or face, they ask "What about behind the ear?" If the individual needs to ask, the odds are there will be an issue. Holes any bigger than that for a standard earring "sleeper", will most probably be a problem

The guidelines state:
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/linkedfiles/careers/upload/pdf/eligibility_v1_20100730103322.pdf

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Was your Prince Albert, sans heavy duty padlock OK Ninja? (see - Why Should Britain Tremble by Chas Cooke)

10. Cheers for the replies and advice, guys. I think we've headed this one off at the pass! I told him what had been said and informed him that he would have to pay for the op out of his own money. He rather truculently said he wouldn't bother putting them in, but then truculence comes with the territory at 16!! Once he does join, though, he's going to be one hell of a matelot because he is totally committed to doing 22 already, as his decision probably proves.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You're all missing the point re the piercings and tatts, look at the photo, would you employ it? Ergo guaranteed dole money for life, constant moans that he wants to work but no one will give him a chance etc.

12. Depends on the employment really, hairdresser (Unlikely in this case with that cut I know.), tattoo artist/piercing wrangler, ITish gaming stuff perhaps. Etc, etc.
    Some of the younger ladies in my place of work, a Library, have gone for the retro tattoo look ala Amy Winehouse, minus the drugs and Bride of Frankenstein hairdo I hasten to add, the boss would probably frown at that.