Earning your dolphins

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by GSSR_Vvd, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have got my start date to join up (2nd Sept),

Im going to be a MA(SM) and cant wait :)
    I have heard a few stories about how you get to earn you dolphins and was wandering if anyone would like to share their day of earning? :pukel:

Also i was trying to find out how long it takes to earn them? i understand that i have got a lengthy phase of training ahead of me :downtown: but i havent been able to find out how long it actually is before i get to wear the dolphins
  2. Whats a MA?
    It takes as long as it takes.
    First you have to do your Part 1 training which is in essence your basic submarine course.
    You'll do basic submariners course which involves the 'tank' then your boat training for the type of boat you are about to join. Which there ain't a lot of choice of boats these days either nukie pooh or nukie pooh!!
    Then you'll do your Part 2 training which is branch related so you'll go off and learn about the job YOU will do on the boat.
    You'll then be issued with a submarine- hopefully if there are any left! and once on board you'll do your Part 3 training learning EVERYTHING and I mean every thing about your boat doing tasks completing a task book getting signatures having tests and oral exams etc. Then you'll have your final Part 3 exam where, usually, you'll sit an oral exam on the boat questions about systems, and equipment. Questions on what you would do if.......The board is usually made up of the XO, Engineer your DO possibly the odd senior rate. If you pass you'll be awarded your Dolphins. If you fail you'll be chopped up into smallie bits and fired from the fwd SSE and sent back to Gens!!!
    Good luck enjoy.
    A word of advice keep a diary may seem daft now but in 20 or 30 years time you'll have a book of good dits which nobody will believe and you'll earn a mint publishing it.
    How long does it take? I joined boats in March 1971 got my Dolphins about June 1972
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I refer the honourable gentleman to the same question previously answered.

Have you actually read the posts in response to your previous questions?
  4. Yeah, sorry NS. I started the post wanting to know about any dits people had from earning them and then got carried away with the questions.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only joshing mate! Don't apologise- sling pooh back!
  6. Sorry Polycell - the pipeline is wholly different for MA's. As an MA, you will do around two years befor you get to sea, assuming you go for boats. Phase one, SETT, firefighting, MASM career course, SMQ dry then wet.

Anyway, Dolphins. 'Engines' took me for part three walk round on the Walrus, and I was cacking myself as an 18 year old sprog...started at the front end and talked our way to the back end...and that was it. My reward was not just the Dolphin badge, but also the priviledge of having my own bunk in the for'd mess. Up until then I'd been kipping in the bomb shop on a camp bed thing. Bit different now I know, but then people are different and have different expectations, enjoy it whilst you can because it soon fades away.
  7. I also done a walk thru on Revenge and it took about 3 hours,(I wished at the time I had joined in the time of Midget subs,could have been done in 5 mins and I could have sat on my arse for the whole time !!!!)
  8. Anyone young enough to have heard of an SMQ??!!! Only Officers do a Pt III now - damn Ratings do an SMQ. Consists of a 'Dry' phase (about 8 weeks-ish) of classroom study and guided tours through boats to look at the systems being studied. When you join your boat you will have about 4 weeks to qualify BSS (basic ships safety) to enable you to be a 'safe submariner' - find your way around, be part of the duty watch, fight fires, etc. After about 3 months you will be expected to have completed your SMQ 'wet', which is as described for the old Pt III. If you're really unlucky, you may be sent to a deploying boat as an 'additional' to complete your SMQ prior to taking up your own 'assignment'. (draft, for the pre-JPA readers...)
  9. My part three was a relatively civilised affair, a walk through the boat with the 1st Lt and then a Q&A with him followed bys another Q&A with the skipper, my nuclear conversion was a bit different, walk through the front half with the 1st Lt then the back half with the senior engineer (who had trained with John Winton so had plenty of god dits) and then 3 hours of detailed question by Sandy Woodward, who paid me the nearest thing to a compliment afterwards.. Got my Dolphins a bit after than when they were first issued.
  10. Not a lot different to the days of old. Lots of Part IIIs joined running boats to get their part 3 done and then left the boat to go elsewhere.
    Plus the initial training in Dolphin in fact its much as it was just given different names
  11. Our SMQ's would have a fwd/middle/aft walkround with an oral board (concisiting of 1 officer and 1 senior rate and lots of nutty and tea).
    Once you have succesfully passed that I would gather all the 'new submariners' in the Senior Rates mess on day zero where they, after a small ceremony, would be presented with their dolphins at the bottom of a glass of rum by the visiting VIP. The trainees would have to down the rum and catch the dolphins in their teeth (without vomiting over the said VIP).
    We also had a plaque for the trainee of the trip, he would have his name engraved on it and have a boats tankard to keep.
    Not all boats are the same, but there again, not all Swains are as nice as me!!!!!!!!!
  12. Over here, one of the traditions started by the Okanagan crew (few bricks shy of a full load types) would throw the poor chap into the harbour.....I wonder if any of those guy's are still alive today... :afro:

When I went through it took me ages..(having too much fun on runs ashore.[​IMG]), but the most we did was drown the Dolphins in a yard of beer and down it until you got the dolphins in yer teeth and then got shit faced, and woke up the next day broke...and calling god on the great white telephone... :pukel:

The process depended on whether the sea daddies wanted to help you along or not...be prepared to buy wets and lots of em...oh and lose the chip if you have one...unless you want to get "pinged" during the process..least ways this is the way it was...

No greater feeling though then when your handed the dolphins and you get to strut your stuff with the best of them... :thumright:
  13. And as soon as you get your Dolphins the Captain would say 'well done, now you are entitled to an opinion and can voice it, if asked'. Now you can sit in the mess all smug and relaxed until the mess killick pops his head in and says 'well done, now while you've got some spare time on your hands why not get on with your panel board' Which is a nice way of saying finish your tea and start learning to do things the proper way. It never stopped, there was always something else to be qualified for.

You then get to be a sea dad and kick a non qual *********** to complete his part three....just like you got and you vow not to be be the same sad b*st*rd that your sea dad was. You then realize that being 'nice' is a slippery slope and that you've got to be cruel to be kind. Besides, if your part three trainee is slacking the XO will clobber him for being a drag arse and then you for not sorting him out. All your hard work goes by the board because you've allowed some sh*t fer brains to lower your standards a tiny bit. Falling below standard was a big no no and the methods to get you back up there were a bit evil.

You have to stay on top of your game all the time because to fall below the required standards meant a lot of work and ridicule from the hard pushers.
    'Remember they're harder to keep than to get was the adage' how true that was.