Early Day Motion - Ex-Servicemen and Women [pensions]

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may be of interest to the Old Salts here. This is an Early Day Motion (EDM) so far signed by 35 MPs which proposes the Motion:

'That this House believes that all ex-servicemen and women should be treated equally in the payment of pensions, regardless of when they served in Her Majesty's Armed Forces.'

You can view which MPs have signed and how many come to sign the Motion via:
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31636&SESSION=885

Steve.

2. Well spotted mate. I'm lucky that my service (16 years) all counts for pension as I joined Jan 74. I have always felt that servicepeople who had served and finished (not 22 years) prior to then have been well and truely shafted by all Govt's. Hope it works this time...

3. I'd liked to have seen

" and that all service pensions should be free of income tax"

added to that (very short) statement, but we are hardly like to see that are we ?

It must be for those of the older salts who did not qualify for pensions prior to the 70s.

(It would be too much to hope that sponging exes were to be denied a portion of it too :wink: )

4. When did pension Qual actually come in Whitemouse ?

5. I could be wrong, but it was something to do with not having done 22 years pensionable service.
    I did 17 yrs (man and boy) having left in '79, and was awarded a preserved pension, and another terminal grant (I received one on completing LS2 -nice people !!), on reaching 60.
    If it affects you, it might be wise to check out the Service pension people, you can get the details from the Veterans Agency website.
    :)

6. Free of income tax? :lol: What an optimist you are Whitemouse! I'm afraid that such a move would set a precident and therefore will never happen.

An EDM is an indication of backbench interest or disquiet about a topic. If it gets enough signatures it stands a small chance of being debated in the House. What you Old Salts need to do is write or preferably visit your local MP and persuade them to sign the EDM. If you want to know who your MP is you can locate them via this link:
    http://www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/

If you need help drafting something diplomatic (and therefore more likely to be effective in generating sympathy rather than ending up in the waste paper recycling bin) let me know.

Steve.

PS: As for your ex... I cannot help there I'm afraid, though you might have a claim against her for inflicting psychological trauma on you when she binned piccies of your past. Does it still give you nightmares? :wink:

7. Optimism is about all we have left now, but I think Brown is working on a tax for that too... :wink:

But, seriously, how many times have we seen/heard of these motions, only for them to be quietly dropped at a later date - particularly where money is concerned which might affect the amount hoarded in government coffers ?

As for the ex, I've not seen her in ten years - there is a god !!
    :)

8. When was it passed that war widows do not pay tax. I think that was only because the faceless wonders where pointed out that all the other countries widows where tax free.

See our MP was not on the list to busy building himself a career in the sinking ship called THE LABOUR PARTY

9. Whitemouse,

EDMs are not dropped, all they do is signify interest or dissent in a matter. What you lot need is justice - and that will best come from asserting your human rights!

The reason why the government, or to be more presise, the Treasury, are so unwilling to play fair is the precident it will set and the costs in the future that will incur upon the taxpayer. They should still pay up! If they can afford to fritter away a minimum of £6-8 Billion on the Olympics then they should find they money for you lot. They can hardly plead poverty! :x

Steve.

10. Any one who took discharge before late 1974 got no pension unless thy had completed 22 years. i.e. my 12 years in the mob counted for nothing in terms of pension.

Nutty

11. Nutty how did you manage 12 years ?? are you counting boys time

The signing on after 1956 was LS1 [9 years] LS2[ a further 5 years]and then LS3 which was the 22 years for pension.You got a gratuity after 9years and a gratuity after 14 if you left the mob .

Tiffs had to do CS 1 [12 years ] and CS2 was the further 10 for pension.

Only way to get out was to buy yourself out or be thrown out!! :lol:

There used to be a 7yrs and 5 years reserve .

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I did the best part of 11 years with boys time, I don't recall getting any gratuity for the 9 years mans time, just shown the door with nothing other than the fortnights pay.

I believe that I have posted this link before, but for those who didn't see it first time around

http://www.afpg.info/index.htm

13. Janner --yes you are right--- the gratuity was for 14 year men[LS2] and in 1956 it was £150 !!

I have a 'In which we serve' booklet that lays down all the new regulations and pay rates from 1956. It was printed in 1956!!

It mentions National Insurance payments --the serving members only paid half of what a civvy would .

14. [
    EDMs are not dropped, for you lot. They can hardly plead poverty! :x

Steve.[/quote]

Apologies, perhaps I should have said 'placed on the top shelf' ? :)

Don't forget it's POET's day today :D

15. Talking to a U.S.M.C. reservist stripey in the sandy place and he said that all of Uncle Sams reservists/National Guard girls and boys get a pro rata pension for time served!

So there you go, looks like the powers that be get a pretty good deal with our british reserve forces. A a qualified pool of navy, army, airforce and marine personel only paid when needed and an empty handshake when they leave, bargain!

16. The only way they'll ever be anything of that sort here is if the EU impose it, in which case I would like them to backdate it to 1979 - then I'd be eligible! :D

17. I did 16 years from '52 to '68. Signed on originally for 12 years, the signed on for a further 10 because I needed the £200 bounty as I had no money when I came home from the far east in 1961. In '68 I bought myself out for £350. My son who joined in '66 and did about 14 years then opted for discharge got out for nothing and he got a pension. I don't know how much he gets though.

18. I had 14 years reckonable service,2 years National Service with the Army and then 12 years Service with the RN from Jan 1954 untill Jan 1966 for which I received a gratuity the Princely sum of £252 3 shillings and sixpence.
    There have been comments from some 22 year men who have stated that we knew the score when we joined regarding pensions.
    After 1975 pro rata pensions came into being and this is one of the reasons that we find it so totally unfair, plus pre 1975 Members of Parliament awarded themselves quite substantial Pensions some for as little as 4 years service.
    I find the Early Day Motion to be a step in the right direction and am pleased to see it gaining support ( To date 48 signatures )

19. Now, there's the rub. Our elected bunch of crooks have the say so on how much they award themselves in expenses and pensions, reviewable when they feel like it, in comparison to people who have made a real contribution to UK society through service in any of the Forces. How do we compare, I wonder, to the Police and Fire Brigade, one of which role Servicemen fill when the normal exponents choose to withdraw their labour?