Early attestation and Op HERMES

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Hi all,

I've now thankfully passed my RT and IOCI (and eye test) and am waiting on an apparently very long list for a medical.

I was informed about early attestation and as such am booked in for the attestation next week and was just wondering what to expected and how to prepare.

Also I put my name forward for whatever the equilivant of OP HERMES is this year and was wondering if this would expedite when my medical, PJFT and AIB would be?

Any help will, as always, be appreciated.

Cheers,

MenInSlacks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
All you need do is a bit of reading out loud, nowt to it. No prep required.

Op Hermes may well expedite AIB but unlikely in all other selection elements (which must be completed before attending AIB).

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Fair enough, thank you kindly.

Any idea what it's called now? People keep telling me it's not HERMES anymore but no one seems to know it's actually name :confused:

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
AOP - Accelerated Officer Program(me) is the current acronym. Your unit Whole Ship Co-ordinator is probably a good bet once you've attested for any questions about AOP, there me a nominated officer for the candidates as well.

The early attestation process for Direct Entry officers makes me mildly irritated as we appear to be attesting officers because they haven't passed AIB - yet traditionally (and BR3 says) officers aren't attested. Minor harumph.

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Thank you for your reply, happened to be briefed on it before I saw this actually :confused:

I've been put in touch with the person in charge of it and it's noted at my unit that I want to go through with the AOP.

The early attestation process for Direct Entry officers makes me mildly irritated as we appear to be attesting officers because they haven't passed AIB - yet traditionally (and BR3 says) officers aren't attested. Minor harumph.
The way it was explained to me was that I am in no way taking part in officer training at the moment, I'm attested as a RNR Rating (well probationer, AB2) and that means they're not attesting officers.

Just a way to keep us keen, little bit of experience and put numbers on the books :rolleyes:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, that's the way I see it too, attested as a rating initially.

Having said all that it is interesting that Maritime Reserves Officers don't attest. (He says, having mistakenly attested a re-entry Lt Colonel :oops: )

The one that irked me was when Naval Ratings all of a sudden were required to swear an oath, breaking with centuries of tradition.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
BR3(2) 0209 for the geeks among us*. MR officers don't attest but you only join on completion of AIB so we're attesting people as non-officers pre-AIB. I'm sure the policy implications have been fully thought through and that there are no hidden distinctions between members of the Naval Service attending AIB and civilians.

I do however agree with NS that the best way to fix this would be going back to the days when the Navy's loyalty was beyond question and no-one needed to attest. Presumably it was the switch to the Armed Forces Acts that required that.

* In other news the accessibility of BR3 on the RN website has come on leaps and bounds recently, almost like someone has actually tried to use it.

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
The one that irked me was when Naval Ratings all of a sudden were required to swear an oath, breaking with centuries of tradition.
Ninja as a question you may know the answer to, I believe that I've now been attested from the other night as I've been marked as a AB 2 (Probationer).

However I never had to say anything out loud, just fill in paperwork? Is this the way of doing the oath or is there something additional I have not done?