Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E/Standard: Navy’s New Carrier So Large The Crew Need An App To Find Their Way About

Sharkey

Banned
I guess for Monty and me it was always this way, 'kin sprogs that we are. Even the SMR, Chippy, CPOSA and MAA would be seen with windy hammer and gogs, but I do think that was more a case of making a statement to the JRs of their depts.

The only time anyone other than the sailors got involved in the outside bit was when we went into dry dock and it was all hands in scrubbing the fishy bits off, when a skimmer I did a turn at HQ1 watch keeper, other than that all I did was lamptramp stuff, and maybe had there been "lean manning" I may have considered my future sooner than I did.

G

guestm

So how does all this apps on mobile phones thing work with ships EmCon policy?

You don't need a signal to run the app, only to download it.

In fact you don't even need that as it can be uploaded from a computer.

Anyone notice this?

Hmmn, looks like "2Deck Dash" was streaking on the wrong deck.

The Two-deck loop had a lesser likelihood of being caught, erm apparently.

When I was in Vince and The Ark they had a bit of a ritual where you had to do a 2 Deck Dash successfully before being "allowed" to do a 5 Deck Dash. What you wouldn't want to be is a sprog AB2 on their first draft getting the after cross-passage timing wrong and running straight into the Cdr's leaving the Wardroom after a convivial evening meal, port and cheese. Apparently, it gets a bit painful.....

G

guestm

so it's next to useless as there's no You are Here! big red dot then

Yes. Let's dismiss the idea out of hand without any awareness of how it works. I'm pretty sure they'll have thought the design through thoroughly and it serves it's purpose. Most probably by way of location marking on an interactive map.

G

guestm

As an aside. (And a brilliant one) Our old friend councillor Johnny Bramham, Johnny Bramham, Johnny Bramham has popped up again in the comments section of the original article.

Good times.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
My understanding, from reading an article in another publication, is that there are QR codes in compartments which when scanned will show your location on a digital map and offer directions to other locations. I don't know that it'll still be used once its in service fully but you never know.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

G

guestm

My understanding, from reading an article in another publication, is that there are QR codes in compartments which when scanned will show your location on a digital map and offer directions to other locations. I don't know that it'll still be used once its in service fully but you never know.

Sounds like a great idea to me, clever useage of available and popular technology.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
So pipe is now attack party muster at QR code squiggle?

Once again, I'm not sure it's intended for use once in service. It will be good for people getting used to the layout initially but it seemed it was more for efficiency for the builders, contractors and crew during the build process. The QR codes were just stuck on bulkheads so it didn't appear too permanent.

Sharkey

Banned
And if they build in a, where's my 'phone thingy, (well it works on Startrek) they can see if you are fixing the 20" signalling projector and not sniffing round the lady sailors bunk space

tomcat24

Lantern Swinger
I think its going to be more for the not Royal Navy personnel who get to piggy back off the carrier--RAF and Army.

G

guestm

So pipe is now attack party muster at QR code squiggle?

Now, I know your simply being facetious, but the app is meant for new joiners and to familiarise. Not as a central navigation tool for the fire party cyborgs.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's what I'm saying but as its Monty that says it's always been thus, I must be wrong, its just I never saw a sickbay tiff or chef doing out but cooking and curing.

SSEP, Vent Party, RAS party, Flat cleaning party, Night cleaning Party, Crash boat crew, all on T23.

I've also worked as a chockhead, nurse and turned to part of ship, chipping and painting.

I'm sure that there are more jobs that I haven't mentioned or remembered.

I'm also aware that other people do jobs that's not their 'part of ship' but this is my experience as a chef.

poma

Badgeman
:drunken:I was hoping that there would be a lot of them. Then there would be a need for some old and bold Acting Local(unpaid) PO to see if he can earn some extra bread by writing " HMS Elizabeth II - the Good Pub Guide".

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Not the Graf, just a bog standard Spree? Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS ESFA to require reduction in subcontracted activity and introduce a new subcontracting standard, following sector consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Standard Cirrus 75, fatal accident MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the recommendations of the Public Accounts Committee following the inquiry on HMRC Standard Report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to standard and enhanced ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
soleil Droitwich Standard: "Sailors To Dock In Droitwich To Talk About 'The Role Of The Royal Navy'" Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Companies House retains Customer Service Excellence standard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS opportunity for 2018 standard contract holders MoD News 0
S Accelerated Scheme Vs Standard Entry Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS News story: Military Aviation Authority (MAA) transformation of the design and airworthiness requirements for service aircraft (Defence Standard 00-97 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator launches consultation on 2020 Rent Standard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GC contributes to European standard to combat food fraud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Amber Rudd: West Midlands a standard bearer for helping people into work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: 2018 standard civil contract holders list available MoD News 0
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O Press up/sit up standard at raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil E. Standard: "Belgian Frigate Brings Flanders Soil To London For Memorial" History 0
R Standard Learning Credits The Quarterdeck 0
N standard of entrant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Evening Standard: "Navy Could Send Warships To Impose Syria No-Fly Zone" The Fleet 0
Bunter Maybe Oldest Surviving Naval Flag/Standard History 7
soleil Evening Standard: "Navy's Biggest Ship To Guard London Games" The Fleet 8
soleil Evening Standard: "Marines Take The Lead In A Gang Teachers Want Boys To Join" The Corps 0
trelawney126 Russian Blow for the Evening Standard The Gash Barge 0
soleil Dumfries & Galloway Standard: HMS Dragon Prepares To Leave The Clyde The Fleet 6
soleil Redditch & Alcester Standard: "Matthew Is Top Navy Recruit" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Evening Standard: "Wedding Role For Prince William's Drugs Raid Comrades" The Fleet 1
T Laying up of the standard HMS Caroline Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
soleil Evening Standard: "Further Defence Cuts To Be Reviewed At Emergency Talks" Current Affairs 20
C fitness standard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
xdous Lacing the standard issue assault boot The Corps 15
soleil Ev. Standard: "Ark Royal Could Be A Museum In The Docklands" The Fleet 14
soleil Evening Standard: "Defence Review Brought Forward" Current Affairs 1
Z Standard learning credits UPO 7
soleil Standard: "Chopping The Choppers - Helos Facing Big Cuts" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil "HMS Lancaster FC receive their FA Charter Standard award" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Standard: "Dithering over defence spend" Current Affairs 13
Z Standard issue boots and skin grafts Health & Fitness 20
M What are the VA3 eyesight standard jobs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Fitness standard Health & Fitness 3
I standard of recruits falling in armed forces? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 97
M Are RMR really a better standard then Reg. Infantry? RMR 5
M Are RMR really a better standard then Reg. Infantry? The Corps 7
H Standard Naval Entrance Test RMR 5
left_handed_sailor Standard issue kit size Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Father_Famine Interesting polls from the London Evening Standard The Quarterdeck 3
Chalky Designed to Commercial Standard? The Fleet 8
N Stock or Standard Phrases for Reports Diamond Lil's 9