Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E/Standard: Navy’s New Carrier So Large The Crew Need An App To Find Their Way About

tomcat24

Lantern Swinger
American sailors do get lost on board their own carriers...and if it was not for their Navy, they wouldnt know where other countries are.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Anyone notice this?

London Evening Standard said:
The QE will be able to fly 36 F35 strike aircraft and house Apache attack helicopters.However, the new design has put paid to one of the quainter traditions of British aircraft carriers, known as the “five-deck dash”.
“The idea is for a crewman to run naked all but an anti-flash mask on his head through five decks without being identified. You can’t do that with the complex layout here,” said one of the carrier’s crew.

The two aircraft carriers, Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, will continue to be controversial as the Government looks at further defence cuts.

Hmmn, looks like "2Deck Dash" was streaking on the wrong deck.

The Two-deck loop had a lesser likelihood of being caught, erm apparently.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Anyone notice this?

Hmmn, looks like "2Deck Dash" was streaking on the wrong deck.

The Two-deck loop had a lesser likelihood of being caught, erm apparently.

With condition Zulu this might be a challenge. Transiting the scran queue dodging hot spatulas (warmed in the toasters) would make a man of you. A scarred, lumpy man.

G

guestm

Well before you were "in" I never saw clear lower deck to chip, derust? and paint the ship, so maybe this is a recent innovation due to lack of.........................whatever

Gash hands with not enough to do. Whole ship not part of ship etcetera.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ships_Cat

War Hero
He adds: “We do it by maximum use of automation — particularly in handling ammunition and ordnance.”.......:sad7: Also..The QE will be able to fly 36 F35 strike aircraft and house Apache attack helicopters.!!!!!

While I realise you dont have to be a proper bombhead to operate a weapon lift or a P-type hoist (under supervision...), I do feel that once its topside, rolling about on a trolley, a small mistake with a lashing may lead to some serious pant filling. Speshly with the dearth of senior sup greenies (mixy AVs Pink/green etc), and whatever the pongoes do for WL sups training embarked. Dunno how the manning levels were off Libya, seeing as they got some live ord fitted and not returned this might inform us better how the whole lean thing could work with more hydraulics and special handling kit, or not.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
"Sailor what are you doing?"... "useing the... "BING" .. location app..."wrrrrrummm peeow" ..Sir... "Game Over!! , whould you like to try again?"........ "OH bugger!"

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Wasn't it ever thus?

I concur, mid deployment, a few weeks before going into some port or other, there would be big push of spare hands (i.e. gash) from DHP and I/C heads and 2 deck flat polisher into parts of ship to dabber all the things that would save hours at the dockies. Sanding the round down, rails, paint removal from stuff that was getting a welding to, unshipping all those lights and fittings you never see cos they are painted into place. Given that most civ contractors bill by hours, I think the ships purser was trying to save a few bob on his "soft costs" (manhours, excuse me, personhours, stewards are people too...). Lectures on ships husbandry and being told not to take the piss out of RPs wandering about with a pot of phos touching anything not in motion drove the point. The Captain would dangle bait like "if we save money on this I will buy a new jackson/goffer cooler for the cross passage" etc.
It wasn't a clear lower deck, but it sure thinned the herd in the messdeck. Only the middle watch keepers would be found pre or post kip, and most had the sense to keep the fridge closed and the telly off, as SRs would be boned off with some task and trawl the messes for lucky punters. It made it not cool to be loafing instead of digging out, an era of personal responsibility I rarely see now as a civvy.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
give us a decade?

Wouldn't it be simpler for you to just tell me when it wasn't like that? I think MLP is a bit younger than me, I'm guessing you are bit older, I think the point you're making is it wasn't always like this, I'm proposing its been that way for 20 years or longer, and given the lean manning concepts likely it hasn't changed. I await a current HOD/DHOD/DSR to tell us what the current situation is like, but I certainly got a flavour from some of Levers posts on the wreckage of the Eng branches.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
American sailors do get lost on board their own carriers...and if it was not for their Navy, they wouldnt know where other countries are.

If it wasn't for GPS they would bomb the $hit out of half the western world, and a good sandy portion of the east.... Elmer is very keen with the lead, not so bothered about where its landing. (In due deference to their FAC embeds, they do care, just sometimes they cant stop the stick jockey from doing stuff)

Sharkey

Banned
Wouldn't it be simpler for you to just tell me when it wasn't like that? I think MLP is a bit younger than me, I'm guessing you are bit older, I think the point you're making is it wasn't always like this, I'm proposing its been that way for 20 years or longer, and given the lean manning concepts likely it hasn't changed. I await a current HOD/DHOD/DSR to tell us what the current situation is like, but I certainly got a flavour from some of Levers posts on the wreckage of the Eng branches.

That's what I'm saying but as its Monty that says it's always been thus, I must be wrong, its just I never saw a sickbay tiff or chef doing out but cooking and curing.

G

guestm

That's what I'm saying but as its Monty that says it's always been thus, I must be wrong, its just I never saw a sickbay tiff or chef doing out but cooking and curing.

Wrong. I posed the question: "Wasn't it ever thus?" Not 'It was.' Inferring that that's the way I've always known it.

I'm glad you find my posts interesting, unfortunately I cant say the same for yours.

Yes, well that attempt at a comeback doesn't even make sense in the context of my post.

Guess I'll have to wait a decade for a retort that does alongside an interesting one. If you live that long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ships_Cat

War Hero
I guess for Monty and me it was always this way, 'kin sprogs that we are. Even the SMR, Chippy, CPOSA and MAA would be seen with windy hammer and gogs, but I do think that was more a case of making a statement to the JRs of their depts.

Flagdeck

War Hero
Back in the day, it was all hands in to load ammunition. Them cannon balls were a bast*rd to shift, and humping barrels of gunpowder used to make I sneeze.
I remember that one armed, one eyed hossifer stopping the line so he could get his fancy piece on board, I think she was a jock bird....from Hamilton, I think.
I remember saying to my oppo, Jack, the tar bosun, I hope that bast*rd isn't leading us into battle, with only one eye he'll see no ships, and he'll expect England to do it's duty by every man, although I can't see him getting all that in one hoist. What's the betting we'll end up in Gib, with him full of brandy, and people wanting to put him on a pedestal.

:joker:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Not the Graf, just a bog standard Spree? Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS ESFA to require reduction in subcontracted activity and introduce a new subcontracting standard, following sector consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Standard Cirrus 75, fatal accident MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the recommendations of the Public Accounts Committee following the inquiry on HMRC Standard Report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to standard and enhanced ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
soleil Droitwich Standard: "Sailors To Dock In Droitwich To Talk About 'The Role Of The Royal Navy'" Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Companies House retains Customer Service Excellence standard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS opportunity for 2018 standard contract holders MoD News 0
S Accelerated Scheme Vs Standard Entry Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS News story: Military Aviation Authority (MAA) transformation of the design and airworthiness requirements for service aircraft (Defence Standard 00-97 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator launches consultation on 2020 Rent Standard MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GC contributes to European standard to combat food fraud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Amber Rudd: West Midlands a standard bearer for helping people into work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: 2018 standard civil contract holders list available MoD News 0
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O Press up/sit up standard at raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil E. Standard: "Belgian Frigate Brings Flanders Soil To London For Memorial" History 0
R Standard Learning Credits The Quarterdeck 0
N standard of entrant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Evening Standard: "Navy Could Send Warships To Impose Syria No-Fly Zone" The Fleet 0
Bunter Maybe Oldest Surviving Naval Flag/Standard History 7
soleil Evening Standard: "Navy's Biggest Ship To Guard London Games" The Fleet 8
soleil Evening Standard: "Marines Take The Lead In A Gang Teachers Want Boys To Join" The Corps 0
trelawney126 Russian Blow for the Evening Standard The Gash Barge 0
soleil Dumfries & Galloway Standard: HMS Dragon Prepares To Leave The Clyde The Fleet 6
soleil Redditch & Alcester Standard: "Matthew Is Top Navy Recruit" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Evening Standard: "Wedding Role For Prince William's Drugs Raid Comrades" The Fleet 1
T Laying up of the standard HMS Caroline Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
soleil Evening Standard: "Further Defence Cuts To Be Reviewed At Emergency Talks" Current Affairs 20
C fitness standard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
xdous Lacing the standard issue assault boot The Corps 15
soleil Ev. Standard: "Ark Royal Could Be A Museum In The Docklands" The Fleet 14
soleil Evening Standard: "Defence Review Brought Forward" Current Affairs 1
Z Standard learning credits UPO 7
soleil Standard: "Chopping The Choppers - Helos Facing Big Cuts" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil "HMS Lancaster FC receive their FA Charter Standard award" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Standard: "Dithering over defence spend" Current Affairs 13
Z Standard issue boots and skin grafts Health & Fitness 20
M What are the VA3 eyesight standard jobs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Fitness standard Health & Fitness 3
I standard of recruits falling in armed forces? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 97
M Are RMR really a better standard then Reg. Infantry? RMR 5
M Are RMR really a better standard then Reg. Infantry? The Corps 7
H Standard Naval Entrance Test RMR 5
left_handed_sailor Standard issue kit size Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Father_Famine Interesting polls from the London Evening Standard The Quarterdeck 3
Chalky Designed to Commercial Standard? The Fleet 8
N Stock or Standard Phrases for Reports Diamond Lil's 9