e-petition Ban Pubs and Clubs from Discriminating against Armed Forces

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by 2562hill, Mar 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Everybody I know in the forces has come across this at some point in their service life!!!

Its about time we stopped "taking it on the chin" and stood up for our selves...

Please sign this petition and forward it to everybody you know who is pro forces... better still post it on your facebook page

heres the link...

Ban Pubs and Clubs From Discriminating Against Armed Forces - e-petitions

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

"Not tonight Jack, you're not on the list and your civvies are gash"

• Like Like x 1
  3. My brother, who's in the Army, once went to a club and showed his forces ID to get in, and the doorman took him inside, to the bar and said "he doesn't pay here."

4. Thats how it should be, many places in the US are very supportive of forces.... Free public transport, free entry into tourist attractions etc...

5. Seriously now, why? Why should it be like that? No-one owes us anything, we're not forced to do what we do and we have as many tits in our ranks as any other occupation if not more. We do ourselves no favours acting like everyone owes us this huge debt of gratitude.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Couldn't agree more. I find this sort of self-aggrandisement quite embarrassing and a very poor reflection on those who preach it.

I think that humilty is a fine virtue, that's why a great person such as I am so humble.

7. Not Aldershot I assume?

8. witsend

Imagine you're a bouncer and the pub/club is filling up nicely.

Group 1 turn up which is a bunch of local civvy cunts who look half stoned. All shapes and sizes and you can understand what the fuck they are talking about and you work beside one of their fathers. Group 2 turn up which is a group of lads in the armed forces. You can't understand or comprehend a word spoken. The guys are physically fit, trained to be aggressive and work as a team never letting their oppo down.

Who are you going to turn away?

9. Answer Nobody! None of the pubs in Exmouth turn away armed forces!

10. Anyway did you sign it?

11. witsend

99.99% of the marines have to stay sober.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. witsend

Nope, because I think you're taking out of your hoop.

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I wouldn't let squaddies in my club if i owned one. They take their clothes off, talk loudly, start fights and dance like someones dropped a lit fag down their back. Bunch of feral fuckers.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fully concur.

Besides, does anyone seriously think the e-petitions achieve anything besides appeasing the terminally angry individuals who have too much time on their hands?

The phrase, as alluded by Blackrat: “I wouldn’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member”, springs to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Strikes me that all you want is a free ride on the back of being in the forces! OK everyone likes a grippo but its not something that you should expect as a right and just because the Spetics do something does it mean that we have to follow suit? There are several outlets in the UK that give discounts to the forces / emergency services which I doubt it is for any altruistic reason ... just probably means that they will attract customers from those areas and ultimately likely to sell more products.

I personally cannot think of any time that I have been refused entry / thrown out of a bar purely for being "in the forces" either singulary or in company with my Mess Mates. The answer is simples ... if you are refused entry its probably becasue others have been before and the landlord/owner experienced hassle and as a result doesn't want to repeat the process. At the end of the day it is his right to refuse entry / serve anyone he feels fit (no ifs/buts/reasons in writing required ... its the law whether you agree with it or not)... would you allow anyone entry to your house if they hammered on your front door demanding to be fed and watered free if you didn't know them from Adam? ... because if you would I suspect there are several RR members who would like to test the theory!

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

99.99% of the shit said about Marines is statistically shit 99.98% times out of 99.99%.

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This petition - and most other e-petitions, for that matter - are dead in the water as soon as they are started. They are unlikely to be discussed in Parliament so why bother in the first place?

If you feel this strongly about the pub/club "discrimination" towards service personnel, do what most other paying customers do - don't drink in that establishment! It's not rocket science. I've spent most of the last 25 years working with military collegues; why would I want to go drinking with them as well..?! :shock:

(Mind you, I get much better disounts with my Warrant Card than I do with my RN ID Card..!) :twisted:

18. witsend

:D

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm thinking about starting my own e-petition: "Ban UK Service Personnel Who Discriminate Against Pubs and Clubs Who Ban Armed Forces".

Who's gonna join me?

• Like Like x 1
  20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'm in, we'll need a catchy name though, your's is shit.