E(IS) Branch

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by u8dmtm, Apr 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering rejoining the RNR having discarded the idea of joining the regular RN due mainly to starting pay - i.e. with kids and a mortgage to pay I cannot take a pay cut.

However I read on another thread that the E(IS) Branch, which I don't think existed back when I was considering a regular RN career recruits officers straight into the rank of Lt.

I'm not so interested in what rank you get, but the pay. As this might be a financially do-able way to join the regular RN.

Can anybody confirm what the starting pay (at the start of Dartmouth) would be for E(IS) Officers?

2. Just been reading about the E(IS) - wonder what happened to the Comms WOs? That's what they did for years!

Anyway, you'll need a degree first. To quote the RN website "You must be a graduate to join the E(IS) branch. You will need a recognised first degree in a computing-based subject, 140 UCAS points and five GCSEs (A*-C), which must include English and maths. As an Engineer (Information Systems) Officer, you will join at a more senior rank than other Officers. The standard of your degree will increase your initial seniority."

For more, see http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.4997

"How your career progresses will depend on your choices and achievements. Promotion to Lieutenant is automatic, provided that you pass the training and perform to an acceptable level. After that, opportunities exist for selective promotion to Lieutenant-Commander and beyond if you prove your ability to lead and achieve certain career milestones.

"All Engineer (Information Systems) Officers join the Royal Navy on a 12-year Initial commission. After that, you may have the opportunity to transfer to longer commissions, which can give service up to the age of 55."

No idea what the pay is.... depends on age and seniority - I never met a poor Lieutenant, but it depends on what you call rich.

3. I'm also considering E(IS), are there any on here / does anyone know what they do day to day? (other than what it says on the RN site)

4. Well the RN site talks about information systems.... In my day the people who ran those were the stores people ashore (Oasis) or, on ships, the Communications department whenever it meant satellite or radio links... i.e. 3 types of tactical UK computer Links - Link 10, Link 11 and Link 14 (I believe there's another one now). Plus a RAF/RN computer network link and the US/UK one, JOTS, plus the standard strategic communications links with Opcon in UK. Nowadays the ships operate with reduced communications staff because of the use of automated message systems. Add any others that have come in during the 15 years since I was in, I'd say you have a fair amount of work to do - it must be more than maintenance of the hardware, so the software would be part of the remit of the E(IS) too.

Again, a shame that somebody has decided it needs an officer with a degree (and a probable handicap of being 'senior' rather than 'experienced', rather than an existing Senior Rating technician or supervisor. I'd have thought the OM(C) branch would have been a good source branch at the right level.

5. The current Information Systems department on a FF/DD comes jointly under the Weapon Engineers and Warfare. One of the WE officers is the Info Systems Engineer (ISE) (Note - he will be an E(WE) rather than an E(IS)) Then you have a CPOWEA as the full time IS administrator for all onboard systems and he will be assisted by the PO Communicators, who as well as being the RS and CY, carry out system administration.

As to the near future, we will be re-badged CIS and the CPOWEA will disappear back to being a pure maintainer. The PO(C)s will be the PO(CIS) and take over the IS admin under the figurehead of ISE.

My own perception of this is as the CY will no longer exist as he's handed over the bunting stuff to the Buffer, he'll become the IS Geek and do all the admin and the other PO will be the Comms Manager and run the MCO and maintain all connectivity.

As for the subject of E(IS) officers, I think I've only ever met one, who was at a training group within MWS. I believe some of them do go to sea but only on the CVS/LPH/LPD where they clearly have larger amounts of IS kit

6. E(IS) Officers will be soon known as WE(IS) or something like that and will serve on flat tops and LPDs. They train with the real WE officers at MWS and as such be able to fill the role of DWEO on OCEAN, ALBION and BULWARK. T45 will se then going to sea an real warships too.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that there is a ratings element to the CIS branch comprising people who were formerly titled OM(C). My reading of the various elements of training material that I've been seeing is that the new CIS branch is effectively old-school Sparker with added computery bits. From the perspective of a single platform, this is well within the remit of the ratings corps, however, when you're looking at overall network architectures involving surface platforms, forward operating bases, JTF HQs, etc and all means of green and light blue units, then perhaps there is a need for officer level too.

8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

E(IS) Officers are employed in a very broad spectrum of activity. One clear thing to note is that there is not currently a linkage between the CIS rating and E(IS) Officers.

E(IS) as a sub spec has arisen from the old Instructor Officers branch. Currently there are about 100 in the branch and are employed around the world, broadly speaking very few are "hands on", most are employed in business CIS (with AFPAA/2SL), operational CIS(PJHQ, FLEET, 3Cdo), policy/strategy (MOD), Procurement (DLO/DPA), training (PJHQ, FLEET, MWS, BRNC, RALEIGH).

There are sea appointments on the CVS, and LPD(R), LPD(H) platforms for CISO - These are junior LTs who undergo traditional SEMC training at MWS Collingwood alongside WE JOs and pass a WE charge board. They then act as a 2nd Section Officer for the WEO, running CIS and often all the Comms Systems.

In the future ASTUTE, T45, CVF and FSC will all have CISO, who will be E(IS), WE(IS) or the future hybrid.

These posts are largely seen as the only operational CIS posts which is incorrect as there are further posts with 3Cdo Bde, Marbatstaff, PJHQ (actually DCSA but supporting Ops) and a variety of IS's smattered throughout Iraq and Afghanistan.

In Sep this year there will be convergence with the WE branch. Initially that means a number of posts will be opened up to both branches as there so much commonalilty. Typically this will be a huge bonus for those with a WE charge board but increasingly the older duffers willl benefit to. Obviously as time moves on the convergance could ultimately lead to a single WE(IS) branch. I believe CE DCSA (a WE) is now the 2* sponsor of the E(IS).

There are a lot of good people in this branch, most very technically competant and equally good staff officers and increasingly with a relevant operational pedigree too.

9. wave_dodger

Flag_wagger - good point, a lot of the work undertaken by E(IS) is at a "higher level", architecture, policy, IM/IX etc. I'm intrigued to see if the CIS branch ever becomes able to grow people into E(IS) officers without them having to undertake an OU degree.

Jointery is also having a huge impact upon the branch. Once you get into the purple or coalition space and understand purple or blue services then you are very employable in a range of posts.

10. wave_dodger

I see where you come from but it just couldn't happen. Onboard DD/FF and even the capital platforms using CWEA and no doubt OM(C)'s as the system maintainers, and RS/CY as administrators works.

But generally you get find the Officers have a broader and sometimes more indepth knowledge. And you have to realise these posts are 'seedcorn' posts, the baby Officers learn about FLEET CIS, operational requirements etc and go on through the ranks using this knowledge and making better decisions because of the experience.

11. I think you'll find that there is a ratings element to the CIS branch comprising people who were formerly titled OM(C). My reading of the various elements of training material that I've been seeing is that the new CIS branch is effectively old-school Sparker with added computery bits. From the perspective of a single platform, this is well within the remit of the ratings corps, however, when you're looking at overall network architectures involving surface platforms, forward operating bases, JTF HQs, etc and all means of green and light blue units, then perhaps there is a need for officer level too.[/quote]

An interesting point is that there are quite a few of us Reservists who are equally qualified to do this sort of thing by crossing over our civilian skills. I am a Database analyst (Unix, SAS, Sql programmer) and I also deal with some of the issues you might encounter when setting up a network. I am also an AB1 (CIS) Rating.

12. Confused.com!

13. I still think of Comms Ratings being ROs!

Expecting an E(IS)'y reply ;) ...

14. wave_dodger

So do I