E-Book Readers

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by SJRM_RN, Oct 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are they worth it?

If anyone has one I would be interested to know what your thoughts are on it.

May also be in the market for a second-hand one if anyone has one for sale.
  2. I have been umming and ahhing about one, I am minded to go for the e-reader by Sony, the little pink one. I have been putting it off until they have a decent selection of books to download.

I am told by those in the know, that they will come down in price once the the format for the book things has been settled.
  3. Will it be compatible with the formats over here?

The e-ink is the cat's pyjamas, saw one in use recently.
  4. When you look at the ones in US, be careful. Alot of the features, mainly the on-line features, are not available in the UK atm
  5. I am looking at getting one of these for the missus and its interesting that some of you say not many books are available for downloading as yet, which sort of makes them a bit pointless right now.
  6. Go to the waterstones website, they have a list of ebooks for the ereader.

Judie xx
  7. They'll invent books next
  8. Nah it will never take off. the greenies will moan like hell about all the paper you're wasting! :lol:
  9. Not so good as real paper paged books.

The only colouring you can do is temporary, using Chinagraph.
  10. all very lovely but I am told that the software does not always work with the different ebooky things. This is the issue. Remember betamax and VHS?

Well you young sprogs wouldn't - it was when having a video recorder was considered the height of sophistication!
  11. That is what I intend to do for Mrs Brigham bud. Going to have a scout around the net for the best options to see which is the best one to get.
  12. I don't fancy carrying either of those around!
  13. I've still got my Betamax! Doesn't work anymore though.... :oops:

I remember the days before video recordings when one could rent 8mm and 16mm documentary films! :lol:
  14. Amazon are doing one in the states called Kindle (latest version Kindle2) which looks good. It can be purchased through Amazon. Waterstones have the two Sony things on display - you should be able to try before you buy...which helps.
  15. There's a website that has those old "adult education" films on it...allegedly :oops:
  16. The price of downloaded books is astounding. After all, it's just a digital file transfer. Tesco win, I'm afraid, two books for £7.00.

Not something to use if having a soak in the bath, methinks.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I was looking at the Kindle too as it seems a pretty good all-rounder & I like the idea that you can increase the font size for the hard of hearing if you can't find your reading glasses (again).

Can you use it as an internet browser Jim, or is it just to download books?
  18. I got a Kindle for Christmas. Still playing with it and finding out what it can do. I like it so far and have downloaded a few books. It takes MP3 files to you can download from your PC and listen to music while you read. You can use it for the internet but it is not really designed for this so it is limited in it's use. You can even visit RR on it.
  19. I now have the pink e-book. I took it on holiday instead of the usual 7 or 8 books I used to carry. So for that alone it has been well worth it!

I was easier to hold up whilst lying on my sunlounger and drinking a chilled drinky by the pool!
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Cheers for the feedback - I like the idea of listening to music whilst you read too.

I have a feeling I'll be getting one myself quite soon - somehow I doubt they will be reduced in the sales just yet.