Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sarah83, Jul 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys just a question

Some of you know that I have a mild form of Dyslexia and i was wonder can bar entry or promotions up the ranks?
    I have passed my recruit test already.

so i know the first part does not apply to me

2. In a nutshell...no

edited to add,,,when I was a Phase 2 DO I had a few lads who were sent for Irlen tests and some were diagnosed dyslexic and were given coloured specs, overlays etc. they were also given extra time in exams etc. The Irlen testing got binned just before I left as it was deemed too expensive but I have served with Senior Rates who were (genuinley) dyslexic.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. thanks its helped there was a reason i asked. I ahve coloured over lays from when i was at college

it has given me the confidence to go on achieve my goal of joining the RNR
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. =========================================

Hi Sarah,

Well done and welcome back,

Is your application for the RNR or the RN this time?

(If you'll forgive me I must add: "ZB" / "BZ". Same thing eh? :wink:)
  5. its still the RNR i had to take a break due to personal reasons.
    the second part of my medical is the 1/8/2012
    Thios last month has been harsh on me with loosing my grandpa a month ago today.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I have dyslexia and has just meant that I needed to work harder at certain things. But no, it will not hamper you unless you allow it to.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Here that from you Guns has made me feel like i can do anything and no one is gonna stop me
  8. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I have an oppo in the RNR with dyslexia, he is top drawer at everything, the barsteward, so no it doesn't hold you back.

Edited to add, I had another RNR oppo who passed their AIB and then went full time as an officer, so again doesn't hold you back.

Which unit are you planning to join?

Do you like fat men who sweat a lot?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  9. i am joining HMS Sherwood in nottingham As i live in Leicester But I am hoping to get my degree in nursing
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Excellent to see someone make a post that inspires others. Nice one.
  11. I know several people with dyslexia and all work very hard to overcome it. Those of you working hard to raise your fitness levels at your local gym may not be aware the the founder and owner of LA Fitness (Fred Turok) is dyslexic - and look where he has ended up!
  12. Other people with the gift of dyslexia include

Susan Hampshire (Actress)
    Tom Cruise
    Keanu Reeves
    Picasso (Painter)
    Alexander Graham Bell (Telephone Inventor)
    Richard Branson (Boss of Virgin)
    Muhammed Ali
    Steve Redgrave (Olympic Rower)
    John Lennon

so you are not alone.

My eldest son has dyslexia and he's gone on to be a Regional Manager of a well know German Food chain (not Lidl) and if Fred Epstein can go on to become one of the Country's leading Neuro Surgeons with dyslexia then becoming a nurse is not an issue.

Go for it!
  13. Sarah the only thing that will hold you back with Dyslexia, is how you feel about the stigma yourself. There is a book around "the gift of Dyslexia" which explains that we dyslexics are wired different before we are born. We think in the physical world and not the lexicon world. That is why a lot of dyslexics are does, engineers, Dr's, Nurses, builders etc.
    So aim your goals high and ignore the ignorant whom think Dyslexia is a sign of poor intellect.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. i have first hand experience of people who bully and put others down. I have openly admitted i am dyslexic And i am proud of myself for getting this far in the joining the joining the RNR. I am proud of my achievements but the one thing that worries me is pen and paper writing then when my dyslexia shows.

When i type on my computer i use a turquoise back on word so it makes it easer to see the text.

You guys and girls have been amazing hearing stories directly from you has inspired me to continue my journey.
  15. I use the same trick^~
    • Like Like x 1
  16. this is taken from the gift of dyslexia
    The mental function that causes dyslexia is a gift in the truest sense of the word:

a natural ability, a talent.

It is something special that enhances the individual.
    Dyslexics don't all develop the same gifts, but they do have certain mental functions in common. Here are the basic abilities all dyslexics share:

They can utilize the brain's ability to alter and create perceptions (the primary ability).

2. They are highly aware of the environment.

3. They are more curious than average.

4. They think mainly in pictures instead of words.

5. They are highly intuitive and insightful.

6. They think and perceive multi-dimensionally (using all the senses).

7. They can experience thought as reality.

8. They have vivid imagination.

This is me to a tee. Now I accept that I am unique and talented no matter what people say or think. Nobody has the right to make people feel useless because of Dyslexia.

My sister has just graduated with 2.1 degree in Youth Work and she found out she was dyslexic whilst at DeMontfort University Leicester. So if she can achieve what she wants then so can I.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

17. I brought the book and i am fining very interesting that Whoopi Goldberg is Dyslexic and the book is helping me with my confidence
  18. Sarah83

my 3 adult children and I are all Dyslexics all slightly different in severity, we have 3 Masters Degrees amongst us. MSc System Engineering, MSc Geology and MA pre-school learning, if you go down the academic route ensure you get the help available, it is there to put you on a level playing field as lexicon learners, not to give you an advantage as some think.
    When we are all talking together my wife gives up as our minds are wired differently, our thought paths are also different so we may answer a question 2 or 3 mins later, just as if we had responded straight away, we still know what the answer is to which question but my wife just gives up.
    We do not just think in pictures we think in 3 dimensional pictures, such as spinning a shape in your head and knowing what the shape will look like from a different angle, my wife has seen me cut out shaped backwards and upside down then just flip them over and fit them into the space, my wife was the only one, in our family, who could not see the shape would fit, weird people these lexicon learners, in my mind anyway. The age of computers and all in pictures suits us better than just books.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The book has been helpful and i am so grateful for allt he support that i have had it has really helped me
  20. Your welcome