DVLA (2) how to get those points removed...

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Kurtz, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not so much as how to get points removed, but how do you know how many you have??

I was recently renewing my car insurance and I came to the section where I had to fill in details of previous convictions. So, I went to where I thought my paper counterpart was, and there it was - gone! I duly searched and after a while decided it was gone forever so I phoned a nice man at the DVLA. I explained my situation, and he promised me that he would send a duplicate piece of paper in exchange for £21. F***ing outrageous, I thought, but whatever. I asked him if he could give me details of my previous 'form' over the phone so that I could continue with my insurance application, which he then did. (still with me?)
    Thing is, he told me that I had 6 points, and gave me details of those two convictions (speed cameras in Devon - *******). I told him then that I believed that I had a further speed camera conviction - I vaguely remembered sending my paper counterpart to Cumbria County Court in Carlisle, and I was pretty sure that I had paid £60 quid and received my counterpart back with an additional 3 points on it. I had only a vague recollection of these events because they happened in December 05. (16th to be precise - Mam's birthday). Anyway - to cut to the chase - DVLA man said that if its not on the DVLA database, then according to the Law (and insurance firms) it never happened. He went further to add that this happens quite a lot, as the County Courts are so over-burdened with speed camera convictions that they often 'forget' to inform the DVLA that they have applied points to a person's licence.
    The next week I received my new counterpart licence, with two convictions from the Devonshire mafia and f'all else.

I just thought I would share this wee story with my fellow RR members, and encourage you all (or those with points, at least) to give the DVLA a call to check that the DVLA has registered those convictions that you have received for breaking the law, just as I did.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Erm... 8O :?
  3. I've a better one. When I moved to the Isle of Man several years ago I had 9 points on my licence. After exchanging my UK licence for a Isle of Man one the Manx licence came back with all my points removed because they arn't transerable and I was still able to drive in the UK which was where I did most of my driving.

Moral of the story - Got 9 points, about to loose your licence then move to the Isle of Man!
  4. Better still, don't do anything that will get you points
  5. It took me 14 months worth of increasingly annoyed letters, culminating in a personal one to the Chief Constable of a particular force, to avoid them.

They were reluctant to acknowledge that being 300 miles away from the camera, owning a vehicle which was a different manufacturer, model and colour to the one in their photograph might mean it wasn't me.

Three times they pretty much ignored the content of my letters and sent increasingly threatening letters about court actions. It would have been very easy to just take the points and the fine.

They did take the time to send me three different apologies in the end though :rambo:
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Kurtz, I believe that if you had a prang and your insurance company did their research they could disavow you for not declaring the conviction regardless of what Cumbria have or haven't done on the admin side - worth their while to do this if it was a financially heavy claim. In fact I think you have been technically uninsured ever since you failed to report your 2005 conviction to your insurer - read the small print of your policy!
  7. In fact I think you have been technically uninsured ever since you failed to report your 2005 conviction to your insurer - read the small print of your policy!
    This, as a law-abiding citizen that I am, I duly did. I have been declaring 9 points on each and every subsequent application / quotation for renewal. The way I look at it, if my current insurer was to attempt to verify my driving licence / conviction status, they could either ask me for my paper counterpart, or, more likely, apply to the DVLA for my record. I believe it to be extremely unlikely that they would contact each County Court to check the many thousands of fixed penalties. I am not a naturally dishonest person (I have a double garage, but its full of the usual crap so I declare my car as being kept on the drive) but, come the day of judgement, I consider it extremely unlikely that I would be 'found out'; and if so, I think a relatively simple defence would work.
    Anyhow, don't know why I'm bothering my arse to justify my actions - just thought I would share my little ditty to pass the time and (hopefully) provide a bit of light relief for those of us who feel aggrieved by the injustice of the 'random' speed camera.
  8. So all that shit makes you proud does it? You're one of the 'heads that push up the cost of insurance to the rest of us. I bet you drive a Saxo as well.
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Apologies Kurtz, I seem to have read something into your first post that wasn't there - my post was intended as advice, not censure. Some people don't twig that insurance companies don't check what they are told when they take the money but are much more careful when asked to shell out.
  10. **** you, and the horse you came in on. I could easily have posted this thread as 'ever felt seen off by speed cameras, but has the convictions process been completed?' or some such shite, but didn't. Ever heard of irony? You ******* patronising moron. Actually, I have 10 years + fully comp NCD protected, u-cant-bend-it insurance. My 2/3 convictions have all been by speed camera (mobile / temporary) and have ALL been on duty trips to unfamiliar parts of the country (M5 , Totnes, M6). And I drive a diesel...

Oh, and you threw the shit first, you timber-shifting cock.
  11. A fixed penalty notice, whether its endorsable or not, is not classed as a "conviction" anyway.

A conviction requires the involvement of a court, and you either pleading guilty or being found guilty. Your offences were deemed to warrant a FPN rather than court action, meaning they were lesser offences, or you have a good record etc.

You are however normally required to declare FPN's too for motor insurance.
  12. It matters not what you could have made the heading or what you were driving. Doing 'duty trips' does not give you the right to break the law, so why emphasis that.
    As for the fact that they were all mobile/temp shows you're not as cleaver as you think you are, and your response shows that I am correct.
    Being in unfamiliar parts of the country just confirms that you are an idiot, the speed limit is the same everywhere.

Here's to an automatic suspension before Christmas and a loss of beer money. Not that it will make a difference to the likes of you, you will probably still pull on that silly chav hat and drive your Saxo with the 'go-faster-stripes' and continue to disreguard the law.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So you were driving without due care and attention then?! Or contravening the Road Traffic Act by not complying with roadsigns which inform all drivers to maintain the national speed limit, regardless of familiarity with the location:

'Sympathy': in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphillis'... :roll:
  14. A diesel Saxo - Oh Help!