DVD Competition - Spithead & other Naval Review 1914-1939

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Dec 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Here is a chance to win a fantastic DVD which brings together Naval reviews at Spithead & other Naval reviews showing the might of Britain's Navy at its height.

The DVD has been reviewed by Seaweed, who seems to have rekindled some old memories :)-D) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have a look at this review.

Spithead_Reviews.jpg

As ever the entry form is on Survey Monkey and can be found here - simple questions with all the answers on the 'tinterweb somewhere.

Have a go and see what Jolly Jack Tar drove before the invention of iPods!

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Morning Bump.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Done.......Bump

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Come on Folks! This is a superb DVD showing the Royal Navy all dressed up for the King & Queen.

This DVD is one that would sit well on the shelf of any naval enthusiast or any old salt who likes to hark back to the glory days of the Royal Navy.

Have a go and get the chance to own a record of history and something that will never be replicated. Read Seaweed's eloquent review in which he is unstinting in his praise for this DVD.

You have until Sunday 18th to get your entry in.

5. Ageing_Gracefully

Come on folks. This competition is going slower than an Admiral's Barge being pulled by a bunch of drunken Midshipmen.

6. Haven't entered the competition, but bought the DVD on your recommendation and watched it last night. Absolutely brilliant, and thank you for your heads up. The quality of the black and white film is astounding, particularly the early shots (1914 etc.). Being slightly older than the average on RR (?), it was like meeting old friends. Many of the ships were within my era, and watching them in action was an extra treat. I shall watch it again and again, ('cos I'm like that). Apart from Granny and myself, I would guess that there are very few Rumrationers who were born during the reign of King George V, and who were serving at the time of the Coronation Fleet Review of 1953.
    For those who never drew a tot, watch the expression on the face of the rum bosun trying to sneak away with "extras" before being hoisted back by the Bootneck on HMS Calypso!
    A thoroughly recommendable DVD and well worth the money. Thanks again A-G and Seaweed for the pointer.

2BM

7. To save your pacemaker from overheating....done (and I probably have been!)

8. Presuming it is the same one I bought to see if the Fighting 75 was on it at the SJ Review - I would, if I could, ( but as I say, I may have bought it already - I can't) ....... ;)

Very Good though, IMHO ! :thumbright:

9. Ageing_Gracefully

No reason why you should not enter the competition - this would make a nice present for someone.

Thanks for the comments - but the review is Seaweed's and the DVD is donated by StrikeforceTV if you want to have a look at what they do.

A-G

10. Done de done done done....

11. Ageing_Gracefully

OK Folks, this competition has now run its course and it is time to reveal the winners and answers:

The winners of this DVD are:

TrialsLife
    squeekingsapper
    Stokers-plaything
    polto
    White Rose

The answers I was looking for are:

Q1 47
    Q2 It was the Fleet Review in May 1944, prior to the D Day landings

Q3 The government of the day felt the cost was too much.

12. Ageing_Gracefully

FAO Stokers plaything. Your email has bounced back so if you can, contact me by PM with the name &address you want the book sent to.

the others who have not responded yet, please do so in order that the DVD can be sent out.