Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duties when alongside

Tom James

This is probably a dumb question; but are there any circumstances where a submariner may not be fit for an active/underwater role but can still provide support/work alongside? Can this be a permanent role or would this be short term...say you've got an injury - or can you request time out?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You can't request time out and you'll be working somewhere suitable if you're downgraded medically but don't expect that to be long term. It all depends on the reason for the downgrade and projected timescale to reach full fitness again.

There are no permanent roles for those unfit for sea, you're just taking up a billet which someone whose due shoretime can't use. Long term unfit means a medical board to assess you and possible discharge medical.

The only permanent inboard people I know of, who are unfit for sea, are FTRS personnel.

soleil

War Hero
This is probably a dumb question; but are there any circumstances where a submariner may not be fit for an active/underwater role but can still provide support/work alongside? Can this be a permanent role or would this be short term...say you've got an injury - or can you request time out?

What prompted your question, TJ?

Tom James

I hesitate to answer, but honesty is the best policy - I know you've had some nosey journos snooping around these boards in the past. You guys helped me out a bundle and WreckerL I remember you in particular, were very helpful a few years ago while I was researching a pilot for C4 that got binned because they bought the Jude Law film "Black Sea" instead.

A few months back I was asked to resurrect the project as a potential feature film and though I've still got all my notes from the research I did back then, this story takes a very different approach and without taking up too much space on these boards, this was one issue I couldn't find an answer to anywhere else.

It's nothing salacious - I hear ITV are about to release a murder mystery on a submarine - :/ - which seems like a misfire in my opinion, not sure if you've spoken about it on here yet?

I've always been fascinated by the service, I was raised in quite a strict boarding school from 7-18 so I feel the pull of an institutional lifestyle, but yeah this film's very small and about loneliness and brotherhood.

In broad strokes It's about one submariner's very mundane trauma that manifests into an obsessive compulsive disorder, how he works to keep it a secret by trying and failing to keep to himself...and how the people he serves with first misunderstand him but eventually rally round him as one of their own.

Tom James

Lol - this is gonna sound crazy - but yeh that's what I'm going for and really gets me excited to hear.

Okay, so the ITV show is called Tenacity... Set on a T-Boat and it's a six part thriller....ahem:

"When a dead submariner is discovered aboard a British nuclear submarine, disgraced military detective Danielle ‘Dan’ Lewis is sent to investigate the accident. But when the case turns to murder it puts her in conflict with Tenacity's crew, her Navy superiors, and into the crosshairs of an assassin who has infiltrated her nuclear base with an agenda that will not only destroy national security but kill Dan and everyone she loves."

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Lol - this is gonna sound crazy - but yeh that's what I'm going for and really gets me excited to hear.

Okay, so the ITV show is called Tenacity... Set on a T-Boat and it's a six part thriller....ahem:

"When a dead submariner is discovered aboard a British nuclear submarine, disgraced military detective Danielle ‘Dan’ Lewis is sent to investigate the accident. But when the case turns to murder it puts her in conflict with Tenacity's crew, her Navy superiors, and into the crosshairs of an assassin who has infiltrated her nuclear base with an agenda that will not only destroy national security but kill Dan and everyone she loves."
Well, it seems to be pretty 'diverse' so far. Is she Caucasian? From Lebanon.... ;)? I take it the assassin is Glaswegian?

PS - ALL military detectives are disgraceful......!

Union Jack

Badgeman
I hesitate to answer, but honesty is the best policy - I know you've had some nosey journos snooping around these boards in the past. You guys helped me out a bundle and WreckerL I remember you in particular, were very helpful a few years ago while I was researching a pilot for C4 that got binned because they bought the Jude Law film "Black Sea" instead.

A few months back I was asked to resurrect the project as a potential feature film and though I've still got all my notes from the research I did back then, this story takes a very different approach and without taking up too much space on these boards, this was one issue I couldn't find an answer to anywhere else.

It's nothing salacious - I hear ITV are about to release a murder mystery on a submarine - :/ - which seems like a misfire in my opinion, not sure if you've spoken about it on here yet?

I've always been fascinated by the service, I was raised in quite a strict boarding school from 7-18 so I feel the pull of an institutional lifestyle, but yeah this film's very small and about loneliness and brotherhood.

In broad strokes It's about one submariner's very mundane trauma that manifests into an obsessive compulsive disorder, how he works to keep it a secret by trying and failing to keep to himself...and how the people he serves with first misunderstand him but eventually rally round him as one of their own.
I knew one submarine CO who undoubtedly had OCD, but it certainly wasn't a secret and made him very hard to rally round!

Interesting that the T-boat shares the name with the Vosper Thorneycroft FPB HMS Tenacity.

Jack

Tom James

@Union Jack
That's interesting. How did it manifest?

In my case, ship's company won't ever really get a true sense of his strangeness, just the audience, but the way the story plays out forces him to step up to each new challenge; which he does, and that's what earns him their respect.

In my notes I have an extract of a diary entry from an engineer who said he could (and would often) bake a potato by wrapping it in foil and stuffing it behind some of the boat's internal pipework... That possible? It's such a great idea that if you say no, I'll use it anyway - but I'm curious.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@Union Jack
That's interesting. How did it manifest?

In my case, ship's company won't ever really get a true sense of his strangeness, just the audience, but the way the story plays out forces him to step up to each new challenge; which he does, and that's what earns him their respect.

In my notes I have an extract of a diary entry from an engineer who said he could (and would often) bake a potato by wrapping it in foil and stuffing it behind some of the boat's internal pipework... That possible? It's such a great idea that if you say no, I'll use it anyway - but I'm curious.
Middle watch tatty's :)

We always kept a sack of spuds behind the lathe on every boat I was on, every middle watch taters were wrapped in tin foil and put on the throttles to be steam cooked, took a couple of hours and the shaft doing about 30 rpm was the best for cooking.

One one boat the skipper used to come aft every middle for his spud. It all got stopped when the feedwater had a chemical addition so the steam was contaminated and it was decided by the grown ups that the practice was banned :(

I don't know if they used to do it on bombers but it was definitely done on SSN's.

Sumo

War Hero
Middle watch tatty's :)

We always kept a sack of spuds behind the lathe on every boat I was on, every middle watch taters were wrapped in tin foil and put on the throttles to be steam cooked, took a couple of hours and the shaft doing about 30 rpm was the best for cooking.

One one boat the skipper used to come aft every middle for his spud. It all got stopped when the feedwater had a chemical addition so the steam was contaminated and it was decided by the grown ups that the practice was banned :(

I don't know if they used to do it on bombers but it was definitely done on SSN's.
Our Po Cook/caterer made the mistake of stowing his babies heads back aft, when they came up for scran menu, surprise , no babies heads could be found? lesson learnt only dry provisions back aft.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Swindon home furnishing company fails to meet recycling duties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor waives duties and VAT on vital medical imports MoD News 0
soleil RN Website: "‘Outstanding’ Sailors Ready For Royal Palace Duties" Bases / Shore Est 16
S RFA Logistics Supply Officer - Day to day duties? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Court bans Irvine contractor for dereliction of director duties MoD News 0
R Officer Duties and Responsibilities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Volunteers for Service Steward Duties at Wimbledon 2018 Sports and Adventure Training 0
vauxhall Flexible duties trial Finance & Pensions 0
Guns Junior Officers and real secondary duties The Fleet 1
2 Gangway duties, rules and regulations The Quarterdeck 45
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties" Current Affairs 32
D marine engineer job duties Submariners 15
MoD_RSS News story: 2 PWRR soldiers step down from ceremonial duties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy Merlins arrive at Yeovilton for Olympics duties Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS 45 Commando train for rapid reaction duties Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Sea King returns to duties after 18-month reconstruction Current Affairs 0
trehorn Home to Duties Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
MoD_RSS RAF Brize Norton resumes repatriation duties Current Affairs 0
W Duties of a Naval Pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 65
T what are the main duties of a casing officer? Submariners 14
Rookie-WWFC To my duties, quick march! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
A Failing AIB - Entering as a General Duties Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
slim Conservative Party 'to abolish death duties' Diamond Lil's 7
J JPA Home to Duties (question) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
MoD_RSS Space company takes to the skies alongside the NHS MoD News 0
D Enterprise alongside in Beirut Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS UK calls for states to protect immunisation programmes alongside search for Covid-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM confirms HS2 will go ahead alongside revolution in local transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government loans to build new schools alongside new homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New trains to be rolled out across the country alongside £48 billion investment to upgrade tracks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hizballah to be banned alongside other terrorist organisations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM statement alongside PM Shinzo Abe of Japan: 10 January 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy and Royal Marines train alongside partner naval forces MoD News 0
Klanky67 Shore leave whilst alongside in the UK RFA 16
barny006 ALL 6 Type 45s Alongside The Quarterdeck 24
MoD_RSS News story: Korean War veterans revisit country alongside Defence Minister MoD News 1
M ID Cards to go alongside Veterans badges Petitions 82
M What is a Warfare Officers role while alongside? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
justadrama Chef Submariner Alongside Submariners 31
BillyNoMates Alongside for the W/E Submariners 0
scouse HMS Tamar 70s F47 Alongside Bases / Shore Est 4
P Who is that alongside the Belfast? Current Affairs 7