Dutch Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chockhead819, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. * Dutch military unions oppose mission extension

Two of the three Dutch military unions are opposed to extending the
    mission to Afghanistan which ends in August 2008. One of the unions
    said it would agree to an extension if the military receives an
    additional 400 million euros a year to replace equipment and hire
    additional personnel.
    The unions argue that the mission puts too great a strain on defence
    personnel and that materiel wears out very fast in Afghanistan. The
    cabinet is expected to take a decision soon.

Wonder if the Cloggies listen to the lads on the ground?, so more work for our lads & lasses but i expect no increase in funding.

2. indeed chockhead, but aleast they have someone representing them.

3. At last a country which can appreciate the fact that conflicts in Afghanistan are never won.
    Pull the troops out and spend the money on updating drug enforcement measures for the UK

4. Whilst I would agree that where there is both a determined military force working for the government and a determined insurection then a military solution is in itself not possible, it can create a set of circumstances where discussion can take place with both sides committed to a resolution. An insurection only ends when the passive support for it ends, then they must either negotiate peace or give up

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've never been able to get my head around the fact that the cloggies have a union for their armed forces. I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad.

It must be good to be able to apply pressure for decent kit etc but, to openly question decisions made by senior officers instead of dripping about them.....I dont know.

6. I think the union idea is a good one, it would be some sort of bargaining power against the powers that be, their decisions would have to be more balanced.
    Yonks ago I remember having Dutch marines on the Intrepid and having their ration packs, these were really good and much better than our own. They still managed to eat us out of house and home as well, them and the French Foregn legion. Nobody was going to argue with that combination.
    Holland as a member of NATO may have some obligation to provide troops, as do many other nations.

7. You are right. The union is there to make sure we don't get fcuked over all the time by our government. It stands up for decent payments etc.
    The Dutch forces are overstretched and standing on the brink of bankruptcy.
    We (Reserves) had to hand in our Minimi's for the troops in Aghanistan (which is a good thing,believe me) because they wear out very fast in the sandbox.The bad thing about it is that we are left with no SF weapons. The MoD is filling up one hole with another.

8. Until the Afghani campaign is extended into Pakistan (Waziristan, in particular), there will never be a defeat for the Taleban. But for Mushariff to allow that, or even ask that, would destabilise him and then we have Afghanistan II, but with a far greater impact on the UK society.

9. Until the Afghani campaign is extended into Pakistan (Waziristan, in particular), there will never be a defeat for the Taleban. But for Mushariff to allow that, or even ask that, would destabilise him and then we have Afghanistan II, but with a far greater impact on the UK society.

10. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Interesting. I havent found a news source yet for chockhead's post, but it is consistent with previous reports from NL.

In UK, BAFF (British Armed Forces Federation - not a Union) is precluded by its own constitution from commenting on operational or strategic matters. It can still find ways of commenting on inadequate resources and has, in fact, done so - a favourite line being that "commanders on the ground must be given the resources they say they need in order to carry out the mission".