Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Backpacker1uk, Jun 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So what ever happened about this? Is Dutchy still there? Some pretty high-powered people wanted him to stay, it seems.
  2. On a similar note, any of you collingrad inmates know if Jacks snacks are still there? I had frre food from them years ago cos the naafi were trying to muscle in and get them out and i helped them to stay. God those burgers were great when you were pissed up after a few at the colly club, but then again, all these burger vans etc. are great after a few cold ones. Long live the Burger wagon :!:
  3. Jacks Snacks is still at Collingwood. The wagon has been gone some years now and the big eats are now located on the top floor of the Southern Club.
  4. On a similar note, poor M..m..m..m..m...Miggins has been banished from Yeovilton to be replaced by the Shore T'You van, I refuse to buy snacks, however well cooked/priced from a van with a Chuckle Brothers line on the side.

Oh I'm looking forward to the end of leave to sample the joys and delights of PAYD!!!
  5. What about the Greasy Spoon in Portland,
    and the Messy Burger shop just outside Unicorn Gate (late 80's) when it was a shop and not a wagon
  6. Dots is still at DRYAD though - selling hundreds of burgers to Red Caps and Crabs!
  7. Dutchy's is still there. Though Jollies bar is currently closed for a refit.

8. The Greasy Spoon in Portland...Home of the "Everything Burger"...i mean, who else would put a sodding pineapple on a burgher for a hungry pissed up matelot....Genius!!
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Aah, the Greasy Spoon! The owner was an avid Wolves fan who used to flash when Jack would distract him and try and rob the scarves/posters off the wall. Didn't he relocate to Guzz when FOST moved down there? There was also a mobile Chinese wagon that went round Portland dockyard (an ex-matelot and his chinky bird), who would always argue in the lingo about the food... I think they got shut down for hygiene reasons..!

I've lost count of the big eats shops in Pompey, but the best at the moment is Mr. Ts on the top of Portsdown Hill. I've spent many times in the car park in the Provost van, looking down over the harbour, at all hours of the day and night. Mind you don't try to buy a cup of tea and a burger with a £20 note and expect to get change back at 4 o'clock in the morning!!
    Apparently it's owned by two ex-Royals and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 265 days a year... that's hard core!
  10. The trouble with memories about big eats places are that probably the Sarge, is one of the few people that actualy saw them whilst sober. My recollections are somewhat hazy due to the copious amounts of alcohol and that fact that it was normally deep into the middle watch when i entered said establishments.
  11. I take it thats meant to be 365 days a year Crusher , must be the excitement of approaching Guzz , hope yous all have a Ding Dong of an up channel night ,and bloody well welcome home to each and every one of yous :lol: