During College?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently I've been feeling that i want to drop out of college and join up, but logic says its better to stay in so im going to. I was thinking about joining the TA or RMR, to keep myself occupied and also show that I'm dedicated about joining up, is this a good idea or a bad one?

Theres a TA unit 15-odd miles from me for combat infantry, and 2-odd miles for artillery, leaning more to the infantry one because that's what marines do more than artillery.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So what's the question?! :?

3. Sorry =]

It's is it a good idea to join the TA or RMR during college instead of just dropping out and joining regular marines :)

I was really,really tired when i wrote the above stuff :D :thumright:

4. Don't ffs drop out of college. For a start the application process is long and you need to use the time to get fit(er). Also, the better qualified you are noe opens up more windows later in life.

5. I agree with Stumpy..

6. I agree with BigJayJr :dwarf:

7. Personally No, Was a part time pongo while I was at college doing public services but decided after finished course wanted to join the mob, so left TA and College and just joined The Mob, as all the things I would have got at college I am getting in the mob.
    However I geuss it all depends on personal prefrence and the course you are doing at college.

8. Certainly what you are doing at college is important, and if it will help with possible future employment opportunities it is valuable, also you have invested time in it so the qualification would have to be pretty crap to waste that time. I know that when you start in the services you are always considering a full carreer, but circumstances change for all sorts of reasons, some not either your fault or in your control, so having a second option is good, especially now when paper qualification are becoming more and more important to get in the door. As for which TA unit would be of most value some one with recent booty experience will know better than an old submariner.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The join up process is quite drawn out so stay in college and shag all the girlies. I dont know about the merits of joining the TA whilst at college, join a gym instead.

10. If it's the one i went to not alot really, Would agree with the joining the Gym and if wanting some spare cash get a part time job.

11. Stay in college untill you get in.
    Belive me im going through exactly the same thing right now.

I hate being in college and would drop out straight away if i could
    But just use the time to build up your fitness., plus the waiting times are rediculous!

Dont do what i did today though which is bunking off college to go to the gym haha

12. Haha cool =D

I guess I'll stick in college, long term its a better idea, get some A levels, 2 years of boredom is better than like 20 years hard graft when i leave the mob.

Topaz - Do you go to 6th form or a vocational college? I hear the vocational people have a lot more fun that the 6th form lot :(

Aha

13. I take it from what you have written that you are not studying anything to do with "how to make a Decision, whan pesented with facts and oppions them"

Stay at College, study hard, and then make the choice.

14. Urmm
    Well I think itd 6th form...
    But its not at my school

15. I think youll find in the post above that I did =]

And this is a forum to ask questions - don't expect everyone to know exactly what they're doing straight off the bat :thumright:

16. I was in the URNU when i was at Uni! Really got me ready for my AIB and now im off to BRNC next week! so in my opinion yes it helps during the process to get some good Leadership practice in.