Dunkers' dits from Raleigh!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sir Alan West (previous 1SL) permitted the wearing of uniform ashore (including working rig, providing that it is of a high standard) to promote the image of the RN to the general public.

BR81 refers!

PartTimer

War Hero
dunkers said:
The assault course was next. Dragging yourself along on top of a rope, running through water, crawling through tunnels.. great fun! Oh, and now that the navy is now "pink and fluffy" (as PO Wren put it), it has to be safe too. In the last 4 weeks, some civvie health and safety types have looked at the assault course and told them that they need crash mats below the rope crawl, so if you fall off you don't break your neck on gravel, you break it on the crash mat instead :roll: I must stress that the staff DID adhere to the health and safety rules, but they made sure we knew that they were somewhat disgruntled about them - it was new legislation, not naval policy, that was making the changes.

Hmm, the crash mats I happen to agree with, and I'm surprised it's taken so long to introduce. I witnessed a (rather nice looking incidentally) Wren fall from the rope straight onto her face several years ago. We head the crack from where we were 100ft away. She went to Sick Bay but got told to come back the following morning as all the staff were on Make 'n' Mend!

Shakey

War Hero
When I fell off the rope crawl at Raleigh it was into gravel. I then had to low crawl the rest of the way over the gravel while the Chief offered me some encouragement by shouting "Get down! Crawl faster! You'd crawl faster than that if you had a sniper up your arse Shakey!". Chief Hutchings his name was, good bloke.

Our course PO was a wren who was a complete bitch who was happy at being made redundant and picked on me constantly.

Unfortunately our course officer is still serving so I am not at liberty to pass comment upon them.

dondon

MIA
sgtpepperband said:
Sir Alan West (previous 1SL) permitted the wearing of uniform ashore (including working rig, providing that it is of a high standard) to promote the image of the RN to the general public.

BR81 refers!

Saw a Matelot this afternoon in Crownhill , he was wearing No 8s negative beret and eating a bag of chips , he honestly looked like a bag of shite , if thats a high standard , then things have gone down hill , regulary see them in working rig with no head gear on :twisted: :evil: :roll:

D

Deleted 7

Crownhill, they still got the big marriage patch there? My mate used to live there and moi used to stay over ( had to have a break from being onboard!). Every one used to walk round in rig and no one would bat an eye.

PartTimer

War Hero
dondon said:
sgtpepperband said:

BR81 refers!

Saw a Matelot this afternoon in Crownhill , he was wearing No 8s negative beret and eating a bag of chips , he honestly looked like a bag of shite , if thats a high standard , then things have gone down hill , regulary see them in working rig with no head gear on :twisted: :evil: :roll:

Showing your age there - No 8s are now No 4s.

These matelots should be picked up for being out of rig. I fear that the long stint of not being able to wear rig ashore has meant the many are unaware of how smart they must be when in view of the public.

I thought No 4s were not permissable wear ashore anyway? IIRC it's No 1s or No 3s.

Ahh!

I remember Shovel Face when he was a Gunnery Officer!! :)

He wouldn't have stood for any nonsense.

I assume we are talking about the same person - initials DA?

Shovelface was at Collingwood when I did my basic training.
In those days, the top few in the course at the end of Part 2 got a loan draft as a reward. 5 of us got 3 months in Hong Kong. I was on the Beachampton. Seemingly Shovelface was the Jimmy, but I don't remember.

Perhaps I should have tried being sober.