DUDT on UGAS

Boots45

Midshipman
Thank you for your wise counsel, it is much appreciated. There is a URNU at his university, hes going to Glasgow. He ll need to find out the time commitment first though, he ll be commuting there once remote learning stops. He can always do weekends though.

huwshpis

War Hero
There was a chap from Glasgow Uni on my AIB, very good lad. I think we both passed, but I never bumped into him again.

Boots45

Midshipman
Thanks Perry, your post has brought me much comfort and I feel somewhat vindicated. Im all too aware of my sons shortcomings, he certainly does not have the charisma or competence to lead others at 18. He wouldnt have been a superior rating either but this narrative of 'he couldn't cut it- end of ' is untrue. If he hadn't been a LH I believe he couldve been supported to pass out. Hes come straight from school and has only had leadership responsibilities as a pupil. It seems to me it would take an exceptional individual to make it to LH fast track at 18. That was never going to be my son.

Supportive Dad

Midshipman
Reading this with interest as my son has just turned 16 and with just medical and fitness stages left could well be off to Raleigh in a few months. He is obviously not looking at the LH level but these are just kids, starting out for the first time. Pass or fail, they deserve all the support possible to get them on in life. Sometimes one avenue closes, but as long as everyone stays positive, another chance will come. Very often the best lessons are the tough ones. At 18 I would have been a disaster in the forces. Best of luck to your boy.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I, like many others, joined at 16, as were most of my class and we all managed ok.

Apart from the physical side Phase 1 is basically look listen and learn.

crash_evans

War Hero
If I may throw my hat into the ring. I joined the RN just after my 16th BD. I didn’t have a great time at home, I had behavioural problems and massive chip (read chip shop) on my shoulder.

I wanted a fresh start. I wasn’t great at P-Org and how the RN wanted things doing. My phys was my only saving grace. I was back-classed into another division and the realisation that I could potentially be kicked out to go back to my life; that I was eager to distance myself from was the catalyst for me to try harder.

The RN is full of stories like this. It is mentioned time and again, from those that served in the 60’s to those that join today. One of my favourite quotes that is always on my pit (bed) is “I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

Every service person will be tested. I have been (both in combat and in peacetime) and the currency that you accumulate every time you are exposed to it, you ‘cash in’. It’s a matter of perspective as to how you view you experiences.

Take the knock on the chin, brush yourself off and identify your next plan. Identify your own shortcoming’s and TRY not to make the same mistake again.

I managed to reach the rank of Chief. There are only two others in my entry still serving.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general, the popularity of URNUs is such that they are often oversubscribed within minutes of the books opening during Fresher's Week...

@Boots45 Junior should be made aware of this and not to expect a 'shoe in'...

Boots45

Midshipman
Thank you both. I think he realises where he went wrong. Like I said racking up warnings too soon made it made it hard to redeem himself. Even in 6 weeks I see a more mature and serious person and he's looking great - fit and tanned! Now he ll be living at home he claims he won't let p org slide and will do all family ironing. His sister has taken his old room so he ll have to be very tidy. Thanks for the heads up on URNUs, he ll need to get on it ASAP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Advice needed after DUDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Rejoining after DUDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
chrismonc87 help after being dudt Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 76
C Ugas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C UGAS Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B UGAS PRNC and interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
C [UGAS] Royal Navy application age issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Question regarding UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C UGAS qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K UGAS Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C UGAS intakes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F UGAS interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
K ET(ME) vs UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Llama UGAS Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
JRATGEng Engineering Officer or UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D UGAS or University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Ninja_Stoker Introduction: RN Submariner - Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 104

Latest Threads