Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dubai

Trooped_Again said:
Ah now, not that I would dare, I mean, never would I assume that you, well, would be, were, in fact, that you wouldn't, I mean, erm, you're not then?

So why are you green then?
Green with envy that I wasn't a sun dodger :pukel:

War Hero
Trooped_Again said:
The diving is good on the Fujeirah side of the Emirates, about an hour and a half away. Indian Ocean side.

I'd agree with that, really enjoyed it over there, but inside the gulf it was pretty lifeless.

Golf is bloody expensive and it's summer, so waiting for winter, cooler but EVEN MORE expensive.

Golf is always exensive :) I do my best to get a lot of value from the green fees ;)

ettridge

Badgeman
Bloody hell lads ,I was there in 65 for a run ashore from Gurkha.It was set up by my oppo at the time because his old man had contacts there.Cost us 50p insurance on a R.A.F flight to Sharja and a land rover to Dubai, staying at the Hilton which had just been built, only other hotel was Oasis.

ettridge said:
Bloody hell lads ,I was there in 65 for a run ashore from Gurkha.It was set up by my oppo at the time because his old man had contacts there.Cost us 50p insurance on a R.A.F flight to Sharja and a land rover to Dubai, staying at the Hilton which had just been built, only other hotel was Oasis.

The place has changed dramatically since then mate, tourism and oil rules, hotels are being thrown up at a remarkably rate, infrastructure, roads and railway all being constructed. Amazing.

Log on to a few of the tourist websites, particularly www.dubaitourism.ae, this gives a great idea of how Dubai looks now.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
RC: Maybe drop off PO Stoker here while you go shopping at the the Old Gold Souk!

To be honest Dubai is very Western-based in it's approach to shopping and entertaining, and has attracted some cosmopolitan influences from around the world, so it is not as cheap and exotic as it once was, but a great experience none the less! Shopping is a major pastime there, but evryday items like clothes are not much cheaper than in the UK. If you are looking for bargains, then stick to electrical items and jewellery. Prepare to spend half an hour or so bartering, but it is all done in a friendly and non-aggressive manner and, providing you know what you want and stick to your guns, you can make a pleasant bargain.

All gold worldwide is sold at the same standard price per ounce, but it is cheaper in Dubai as it is all 18 Carat or above (UK is 9ct), and the craftsmanship is superior to what you buy in Ernest Jones, and with lower overheads! I recently bought a 18ct three-colour gold bracelet for Mrs. SPB for no more than £200, but was valued in the UK at 3 times that price.

As suggested already the Wild Wadi waterpark is a good day wasted.

Dubai is awash with excellent restaurants to suit all tastes and wallets, however I spent more than one occasion in Spice Island (in the Renaissance Hotel), which serves a variety of cuisines from all around the world, so suiting yours and PO Stoker's palette. 91Dhs (around £12.50!) for an all-inclusive meal (all you can eat and drink) - I recommend the sushi and lobster sections; well worth it!

Many bars/clubs/restaurants offer deals during quiet times of the week; check out the English ex-pat orientated Time Out Dubai for more information.

SPB - If you're ever here on a Friday, give me a shout and let me take you (& your partner) to a true Dubai institution, Brunch!

For c.£30 you eat & drink for 3 and a half hours, beer, wine, cocktails, champagne, caviar, suckiling pig, cured hams, steaks, sushis, seafoods, shellfish, the works.

Went yesterday with my wife and a friend, rolled out at 4.30pm and went to the pub!

Back at work this morning, head sore, mouth dry, tongue leathery and I failed the toothpaste test.

Thank God for taxis!!

Dubai had only 20,000 people in 1950. Then part of Trucial Oman, the city had already doubled its population since 1900. Unlike his Persian counterparts, the local ruler, then as now from the Maktoum family, welcomed traders. Besides, there was a British air field, and oil exploration had begun--would transform the place after the discovery of oil in 1966.

One of the saddest things about Dubai today is the way they've demolished so much of their cultural heritage and architecture. The new buildings are spectacular because the Gulf states compete to have the most modern city with the tallest building, the widest road, the most luxurious hotel, the biggest airport or the longest corniche. This has all been at the expense of the old narrow alleyways with pre-AC (air conditioning) houses and other accommodation that had clever wind towers to catch the cooling breezes and provide ventilation.

This site contains some wonderful photos of the 'old Dubai' and it might be fun to try to find where they were taken. The photos on this site shows something of the remarkable transformation of the desert since then.

I agree that to lose cultural heritage is sad, but some of it has been retained in the Bastakiah Quarter in Bur Dubai, although not the original buildings, they have been recreated.

Dubai, like so many major cities, has had to sweep away the older parts to regenerate, sadly at a cost to the history of such a fine city.

There are still a few places that you can see 'Old' Dubai, Bastakiah, as I've mentioned, but the Dhow Wharfages are as they were, further afield you have the Hatta Heritage Village, and towns in other parts of the Emirates retain some of the original buildings, Al Ain, for example.

stirlingmw

Badgeman
York Hotel is well worth the visit (so I am told). I could get my baby chef's folder of attractions around the hotel if anyone is interested. he rates them by price and what they do for you (if you know what i mean). Honestly if you go stay away from there. Wild waddies is great, and the skiing is something else. Went shopping in the new gold souk (it wasnt there in 03), just next to the seamans mission, well worth it. The weather here in the gulf as TA will tell ya is Hot, so i'd wait a month or two. Its the only place we have been out here where the taxi drivers dont try and rip you off.

drwibble

Badgeman
There is a lot to do:

Shopping
Soak up the sun
Shopping
The Dubai Museum is actually very good
Shopping
Wild Wadi Water Park is great - you get to go uphill on a water slide
Shopping
Desert day out - especially if you go out for sunrise/sunset
Shopping
Take an abra up and down the creek
Shopping
Watch the dhows unloading and wander round the spice souk

Did I mention the shopping?

stirlingmw said:
York Hotel is well worth the visit (so I am told). I could get my baby chef's folder of attractions around the hotel if anyone is interested. he rates them by price and what they do for you (if you know what i mean). Honestly if you go stay away from there. Wild waddies is great, and the skiing is something else. Went shopping in the new gold souk (it wasnt there in 03), just next to the seamans mission, well worth it. The weather here in the gulf as TA will tell ya is Hot, so i'd wait a month or two. Its the only place we have been out here where the taxi drivers dont try and rip you off.

It's 46 today.....for a fat wee jock, that's damn hot!

re: The York.........brilliant......up there with the Cyclone, the Imperial on Al Rolla, the Snakepit and the Red Lion........

Not that I would know of course, a bad man told me! Probably Stirling or SPB, not that I would know as they are incognito, or in DG, not sure.

Taxis are good, everything is metered and as the cabbie gets paid on his metered fare, he can't rip you off (unless he takes you to the Gold Souk, from the Burj Al Arab via Oman!!

My most vivid memory of the Red Lion in Dubai was watching 'The Hollies' perform there in 1987. Despite getting on a bit, they were thorougly relaxed and enjoying their music as they had nothing left to prove. During their two hour gig plus numerous encores, I was amazed at the number of familiar songs they'd written. Apparently, they are still touring although only two of the original members remain.

brigham600

War Hero
Not been to Dubai since I was on the Nottingham and on a Gulf Patrol in 1992/93. Must get over there with the Mrs one day as she is busting to see what its like.

If I ever do, it would be good to hook up with TA for a few beers and some fine food.

Hopefully, it will be in the not too distant future.

brigham600 said:
Not been to Dubai since I was on the Nottingham and on a Gulf Patrol in 1992/93. Must get over there with the Mrs one day as she is busting to see what its like.

If I ever do, it would be good to hook up with TA for a few beers and some fine food.

Hopefully, it will be in the not too distant future.

If you make it across, and you bring your good lady or your wife, there is an invitation to Friday Brunch waiting.

Three and a Half to Four hours of quaffing champagne and eating some great grub.

Can't make any promises about the company, you'll need to take us as you see us, but I promise I'll not wear the White Dish-Dash and Red Chequered Gutrah.

If it's a short break, with no Friday available, then it's an invitation to Sundowners in the desert, back of the Land Rover job, picnic basket and chilled wine.

stirlingmw

Badgeman
TA, where do you go for your friday brunch. we couldnt find anywhere. We do the friday thing everytime we are in Bahrain though. In Oman at the mo.

brigham600

War Hero
Trooped_Again said:
p.s. Bring your Mortgage, there is toooo much shopping to be done!!!

Will do mate, but I must say in Mrs Y's defence, she HATES shopping, which is fantastic and we can just get mullered instead. :thumright:

Off to Dubai on Monday with work.
I don't usually get to see much of it apart from the inside of my hotel and the office. However I can recommend the evening 4x4 drive out into the desert wadi bashing then you stop at some camp for dinner, entertainment, camel riding and hubbly bubbly pipes under the stars.
Can also recommend shoppnig the Emirates Mall and the Souk Madinat Jumeirah,which also has some nice places to eat.