Dual nationality?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I had my officer brief today, got the forms home and it asked me if I had a dual nationality. I asked my parents, because I'm mixed race and wasn't sure what they've done while I was younger and apparently I am a dual national.

I was born in the UK, lived here until I was 14, moved to Pakistan to "experience the world a bit" for about 8 months then came back and continued life as normal. Am now 17, nearly 18.

Is this going to mess up my application? Hopefully not as I was only 14 and didn't really have that much of a choice in this whole thing :)

Any ideas?
  2. Nationality and residence are different things and you'd be advised to speak to the AFCO in detail about the implications, you could quite easily be a dual UK/ Pakistan national without ever having visited Pakistan.

Essentially do you hold, or could you be entitled to hold, a passport issued by Pakistan?

I would strongly recommend having the discussion with the AFCO though, as they have sight of the most recent policy with respect to this issue.
  3. I don't have a passport from Pakistan no, not sure about the entitlement, going to have to ask my dad about that I think. I just have some "overseas Pakistani card." It just entitles me to go there without a visa because my dad's Asian, no big deal.

I think I might have to wait 3 years from the date coming back, which will bring me up to October which will be annoying, but what will be will be.
  4. Ah, turns out it was 2005 I went not 2006, and my Mum got it a bit wrong, which means the 3 years are over and it's not a big deal I don't think.

Going to get in contact with the ACLO tomorrow :)