Dual citizenship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by oliver, Dec 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello! I'm new to this forum but it seems the right place for a question!

I'm an Italian and British citizen, lived in Italy and Greece most of my life(currently in USA for a few months) and I'd like to join in the near future the Royal Navy.

I have never been resident in the UK, but will I have a chance to join its navy?

Will it help to have a friend or a family component already committed to it?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you hold a valid British passport, you are eligible on grounds of nationality but will require a residency waiver to meet the full eligibility criteria.

In order to meet the criteria for waiver, you'll need a record of addresses over the last 5 years. In addition, for any country in which you've been resident for more than six months in the last 60, you would ideally need to produce a police check computer print to prove you have a clean criminal record. You will also need to produce evidence that you have no prior non-UK military service and are also free from compulsory mobilisation or reserve liability (even if the countries in which you lived do not have conscription).

In the first instance it's worth establishing contact with the overseas desk at London AFCO by email to confirm eligibility: [email protected]

Good luck.

3. Thank you so much for the help. I will soon contact the overseas desk!

Another little question. What is the minimum stay/commitment in the navy? I have read around that it is generally 4yrs but is it simple and "acceptable" to leave after that amount of time being that the contract is signed for 12yrs?

4. To quote Ninja Stoker in another thread:

SITP stands for Standard Initital Training Period, and varies by branch. Steward would be very short and something like Student Nurse would be long, for example.

ROS stands for Return Of Service.

The contracts are now for 18 years or to age 40, whichever is the later. I think. It might have / be changing due to the new pension scheme and new employment model.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The average length of service most complete is 4 - 6 years (same across all 3 services) but NS would be able to confirm that.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep minimum service is around 4 to 4.5 years for most branches (SITP varies). The "average matelot", if there is such a beastie, serves around six years, but contractually you are not obligated to serve beyond the minimum.

It does make me chuckle when people get the hump if anyone decides to opt out in the first six months or at the earliest departure point - it is their contractual right, not a snub to the service!