Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

DSA (Dental Surgery Assistant)

Amyshickers

Midshipman
I'm currently in the process of joining the royal navy as a DSA. Can anyone tell me what the job is like? How fast promotion is? And if I will have alot of opportunity to work on a ship? I would really appreciate any words of wisdom :)

Amyshickers said:
I'm currently in the process of joining the royal navy as a DSA. Can anyone tell me what the job is like? How fast promotion is? And if I will have alot of opportunity to work on a ship? I would really appreciate any words of wisdom :)

Must be a minimum of 36" D cup. Witsend is the current authority :wink:
Better still Ninja on second thoughts. Best of luck

Amyshickers said:

From my experiance Amyshickers ( 70/80s ) you will be ferkin lucky to get loads of sea time,if its sea time you wanted you should have joined as Seaman/Seawoman,but there again there are loads of modern Navy chappies/chappeses on this website so they can bring you up to date better than i can,by the way whilst i am on here do you have big breast or what ?,i am doing a national survey of DSA`s breast measurements,what coulor knickers do you wear ?you probably think i am, some pervy old git from a by gone age ,well your right cos i am :bootyshake:

From my limited knowledge of the DSA branch. Their is sea time available, mainly on the carriers (not sure if Ocean, Bulwark and Albian have dental sections as well). You will not see sea service on anything smaller.

In fact you're probably more likely to see service in Afghanistan! Largish dental section in Bastion, and you get to go out and visit outlying positions while you're there to help the dentist carrying out treatment.

Most of your time I would think would be in shore establishments.

Career path for DSA's tends to be either as a Practise Manager or DH (additional 2 year course these days).

Edited for mong spelling mistake.

Yep, I'd go along with PartTimers words of advice.

Fang-Farriers Assistants currently have a waiting time of about 20 months to join - it's a very small branch & we require few new joiners.

There is no guarantee of being streamed as a Dental Hygienist, the Recruiting Test Score required for DSA is amongst the highest & it would also be true to say there are few seagoing billets available. The branch is predominantly female although the trade is open to males & females. Promotion is not particularly rapid going by the last time I enquired.

Looking to the future, I can imagine there being one or two new opportunities for sea time as a DSA once the Queen Elizabeth class come on stream, as they will have Dental Surgeries on board.

Yep, the current carriers do have dental surgeries also, but dentists & DSAs tend to join for a few months to sort everyone's tooths, then disappear shortly after.

Possibly the newer carriers, if they ever happen, will have a full time dental practice. It'll help pass the time anyway as it's doubtful they'll have any planes. :lol:

does anyone know about the training, does the navy put you through the national cerificate qualification? i have seen that the dsa level 3 is now no longer recognised as a registerable qualification.

Your initial 14 week course at the defence dental school at Aldershot will prepare you for the further training/practical skills required to gain the National Certificate in Dental Nursing. your future course could take youin the direction of Dental Hygienist or towards a diploma in practice management issued by AMSPAR.

You in reality will spend little time at sea, mainly working in tri-service military based environments around the world. Naval bases, air stations or even Army camps. Also as previously stated you could go out to theatres of military action around the world. There are also chances to work abroad in some of the UK based military camps in places like Naples, Gibraltar or Falklands (to name a few).

Hope this helps

Supermario

:)

Amyshickers said:
does anyone know about the training, does the navy put you through the national cerificate qualification? i have seen that the dsa level 3 is now no longer recognised as a registerable qualification.

Not a ferkin clue,sorry,but i am interested in the size of ya bazoomers ? :wink:

NorwayChris said:
Amyshickers said:

Not a ferkin clue,sorry,but i am interested in the size of ya bazoomers ? :wink:

Behave yourself, You can only operate for 6 months of the year, When you go back to Tromso its far too cold. Leave the bazoomers to Rumrat & Wits :D :D

devonport126 said:
NorwayChris said:
Amyshickers said:

Behave yourself, You can only operate for 6 months of the year, When you go back to Tromso its far too cold. Leave the bazoomers to Rumrat & Wits :D :D
But its me hobby (bazoomers) honest,and we live 6 hours drive by car north of Tromsø,45 mins by plane, 8)

Latest Threads