Drugs Testing

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Billiam, Feb 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, So I have read a previous thread regarding this issue and there has been a lot of negative response and not much genuine question answering. Being a teenager, I have dabbled in drugs and have regularly smoked cannabis. However, I would very much like to join the Royal Navy and will be cleaning up my act in order to do so.
    My 'drug usage' has not impacted my life negatively and I can say with the clearest conviction that I only smoke cannabis because I live in a boring little countryside town with a large hippy culture (I am not one) and not much else to do. Totnes if you're asking.
    Anyway, I have stopped all drug taking and I am beginning to start a fitness program in order to prepare myself. My question to all of you is what kind of drugs test will I be subject to upon my arrivial at HMS Raleigh? My concern is that, if it is a hair test, that I will fail. As hairs can hold evidence of drug use for years after the initial taking.
    Just to re-confirm, I have stopped all drug usage as I am committed to joining the Royal Navy.
    Many thanks.
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Totnes....... you have my sympathies, drugs capital and general biggest shithole in the South West.

Doing drugs and wanting to join up is dumb, I'm glad you recognise this. Keep clean, keep quiet and crack on with your general fitness and attempts to join up.

In laymans term, the softer the drug the longer it stays in your system so if you've been puffing the weed that'll stay in your system longer than if you've been taking cocaine, the more body weight you have also has an effect, weed stays in the system of a lard arsse longer than a bean pole.

You're joining the Navy so you'll do the normal piss in a bottle stuff, the makers of the American CSI series aren't conducting the tests so dont worry about your hair getting analysed

Now, stand by for heaps of (deserved) abuse for being a stupid young **** who's been on the weed. :)
    • Like Like x 3
  3. It's a piss test. The CDT team regularly visit Raleigh, especially after a leave period. Sniffer dogs are also brought in to go round the accommodation.
  4. If you're from Totnes you should also prepare to be immunised. The RN doesn't rate the effect of crystals in warding off life-threatening diseases!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. This is the bit I found most interesting. What will you be doing when you're stuck in a boring little messdeck?! But on a positive note, well done for taking a positive step to realising your dream/ambition.

I wonder if everyone in little countryside towns does weed....
  6. OMM

OMM War Hero

Aslong as you're clear at medical and understand that it's zero tolerance within the forces at interview then you should be okay.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Given that most branches of the RN have a wait in excess of 12 months to join, then a period of this length 'drug free' will usually suffice.Habitual recreational drugs use is a bar to service and the key issue is the individual's attitude to drugs. It would be unwise, for example, to infer or genuinely believe that boredom is considered an acceptable reason to indulge particularly in view of the fact the job may not be reet rivetin' 24/7.Any drug related convictions can be an issue & any trafficking offences an outright bar.Best o'luck.
  8. Living prof ladies and gentlemen! Winky thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I would add that just because some of us have confessed to dabbling in drugs while serving does not make it 'cool'.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I don't but my gardens full of the fecker's, does that count.
  11. Fully concur. Maybe shouldn't have posted that. Deleted.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. Like you, I used to partake in the odd bifta as a teenager. Like you, I also sacked it in prior to joining up. My last smoke was about 2 months before my medical.

Personally I was never drug tested until about 2 years into my career, by which time it was obviously well out of my system. There was a piss test at the medical which entailed pissing in a cup and watching the doc dip some coloured sticks into the piss, but this was a test for kidney function etc. As far as I know testing piss for drugs is a little more involved.

I know of at least two blokes (still serving) who had their last smoke on the train to Raleigh.
  13. I recall being in the favourite bar (the name escapes me) of the resident battalion in Belize, there was so much cannabis smoke in the room that I could hardly find my way to the bar, this was well before the days of drug testing.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Times are a changin'.

All recruits now undergo CDT during Initial Naval Training, 100% checks.

I've no doubt there are those who may have partook in recreational drugs up to the point of entry & that's why they are tested in training nowadays.

One of the most impressive acts of buffoonery in the mob occurred about 4 years ago & the chimps are still asking if they can re-apply.

Erm, no: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...e-of-18-crew-on-hms-liverpool-99623-21630279/

15. Ah, but the article says this:

Culture = actors and stuff.

Actors = recreational drugs, mostly cocaine.

Therefore, they were simply being good ambassadors and doing as the Romans do!

The muppets.