Drowning Incident in Dover, 1909

Discussion in 'History' started by Repulse, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ahoy.
    Thought this might be of interest.
    This is a postcard of Seaman Martin's funeral cortège coming down the hill from the Royal Military Hospital in Dover, in December 1909. He was onboard the pre-Dreadnought HMS Prince of Wales and fell overboard, banging his head on a camel on the way, rendering him unconscious. The ships's logbook at Kew says they didn't find his body till the next day. He's buried in Dover. What's especially memorable about this story is that the Prince of Wales was moored at the Prince of Wales Pier, which was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1909, the year Martin died.

Attached Files:

2. What's a camel? I assume it's not the dromedary variety?
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A Camel in this context should probably have read Cat. the floating thing between ship and shore. A nautical Camel is used in salvage where its sunk alongside the distressed vessel and then has air blown into it to displace the water, as it comes up it brings the sunken vessel with it. Obviously several are used

Picture of Submarine Sidon being lifted in 1955, the objects either side of the bow are the Camels.

Stands by to be corrected
  4. Janner, I'm a bit confused. Did he hit his head on a cat or a camel? You imply the first and illustrate the 2nd. Just clarifing.

What do you mean by cat? Not the cathead? A catwalk maybe?

(p.s if you bang your head on a camel, do you get a hump? Sorry... I'll get my coat)
  5. A cat is a large lump of wood placed between the vessel and the dock wall, bigger than a fender.
  6. :thumbup: Cheers.
  7. Well, the newspaper report stated a camel... but we know how accurate the press can be...