Driving lessons/test and the navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by davie_rfc, Jun 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been having a debate with the family whether if the RN put you through your driving test while you are in it. I'm sure they don't but you get a grant for extra education. Is that the case?
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  2. A very small number of people are taught to drive - I think that Aircraft Handlers are - and, if you were ever to get a draft which required you to drive, this would be arranged for you.

However, you will have access to Learning Credits as part of your job anyway and you can use your credits for Driving Lessons, if you wish.
  3. Cheers mate. Bloody family think they know it all.
  4. Davie

The AA Driving School do a special offer for the Armed Forces - I will try to add the details later.

I think that the idea that the Navy automatically teaches personnel to drive might have become urban folklore, perhaps based on uncles who did National Service talking about guys learning to drive a few years ago.
  5. Do you know if there is any thing for motor bike lessons, or would that come out the learning credits?
  6. Like driving other vehicles Ginge unless your billet requires you to drive a motorcycle then you won't be put through lessons. I don't know of any billet that does require driving motorcycle unlike cars, lorries etc.

So I guess you maybe to use the learning credits towards lessons. But don't take that as gospel
  7. Thank you soleil. I'll be going in as a stoker. So I don't know if I will be able to get it through the RN.
  8. You can use learning credits to help pay for bike lessons provided its your first driving license, and its only £175 or so and a right pain in the arse with the forms...
  9. Ah cheers for that. Looks like im going to have to fork out for it all then, being ive already got my car licence :(
  10. Does that mean they owe me "Twice"? :?
  11. Bargain, "Weekend" lorry driving, bit of extra cash!!! :D