driving in Europe

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by (granny), Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

With the undoubted, although unwanted, entry of GB into the EU in the near future, how long do you think that it will take before the directive arrives ordering us to drive on the right hand side of the road to conform with the rest?
  2. What with the state of some drivers in this country you probably won't know the difference!!
  3. GB? I don't understand. Great Britain has been in the EU for yonks, aside from assorted odds and sods like the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Gibraltar.
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I do apologise for my unmistakable 'gaff'. I of course meant..'now that the ratification of the Lisbon treaty has been signed'. I think that you knew what I meant but felt like being a little pedantic.
  5. It's impractical, we have over 30 million cars on our roads now.

The last time they considered doing this was in 1966 IIRC, only something like 6 million cars on the roads and it was reckoned to be undoable even with that few cars
  6. Well, as:

Antigua & Barbuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Channel Islands
    Falkland Islands
    Hong Kong
    New Zealand
    Papua New Guinea
    St. Vincent & Grenadines
    Solomon Islands
    South Africa
    Sri Lanka
    St Kitts & Nevis
    St. Helena
    St. Lucia
    Trinidad & Tobago
    United Kingdom
    US Virgin Islands

all drive on the correct side, maybe the Europeans should think seriously about converting. The spineless Swedes used to do it correctly but then decided to be different.
  7. Jesus you mean we don't? 8O

Well that explains a few things :roll: :oops: :wink:
  8. I wasn't being pedantic. Do I look like the kind of woman who could be that :roll: Sorry about that.
    Actually to make matters worse I thought you meant GIB, thought you perhaps lived there, and was having a dig seeing as one day soon it will be Spanish again, and return to its' correct name of El Penyon.
    If it does come about, which is unlikely (the change of road sides, not the change of GIB) perhaps the UK could do the same thing as Nigeria ie buses and trucks change on one day, and cars and motorbikes the next, and I kid you not!
    Given the state of some of politicos and pen pushers I can see that idea occurring to not a few of them. When they are not busy losing memory sticks.
  9. Seriously folks I can see nothing wrong with at least adopting kilometres as the roads are all designed and built that way in any case.
    Even the Irish did it after years of having distances in kilometres and speeds in miles, or Vikky Verka.
  10. Why and more to the point why should we? If this country were to change over, imagine the money which would need to be spent changing road signs, car speedos, car design, driving literature etc.

Mind you, I suppose it would make it easier for ex pats like yourself should they bring their foreign car to their old country eh? :wink:

Totally impracticable in my view and feck the EU, they are a bunch of no hopers who still cannot get over the fact we once had an empire.
  11. I dont think that will ever happen here .It would run into billions x billions to get it all in place :)
  12. I'm not an expat I'm a duopat thank you very much, and there ain't a Tesco within 1000 kilometres of here. :lol:
    But, have you ever seen a motorway sign giving the distance to an exit as 2/3 of a mile :wink: There are plenty of them and I wonder why?
  13. What is the relevance of 2/3rds of a mile, am I missing something? I have never seen 3/8ths of a mile either but I have seen plenty stating 1/2mile, and then it goes to hundred's of yards.
    And as for falling in step with Europe why would we want to.
    I'd rather be the 51st state, than a French or German clone. You chose the Spanish scene ..Your choice, ..I prefer the way things are.
    I adopted England(Britain) a long time ago and have stayed here because of how it is. If I wanted Europe then that's where I would have gone.
  14. 2/3 of a mile is near enough bang on a kilometre.
    If you want to get really pissed of the orgin of the word pint is generally thought to be of latin origin, in Spain its a pinta.
    Is there nothing truly british :roll:
    And I am pulling your leg, I love the place it has some of the best scenery, beer, lamb and cheese in the world, and despite the whingeing one of the lowest crime rates.
    The various EU countries are as distinctive today as they have ever been, that's one of the beauties of the place.
    There's a reason for my user name. I hardly ever cross the downs into England - damn foreigners.
  15. :thumbup:
  16. I agree that we should switch to Kilometres. We should also finish the job of metricating which we have half done in our usual inimitable style in this country.

This isn't an EU-related issue, it's about fitting in with the rest of the World, as the only other country not using metric measurements universally is the USA.
  17. The Samoans should be an example to us all; http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/07/samoa-driving-left-changes

Regarding kilometres (pronounced kill-oh-metres), it's too small a unit to be practical and, by the time you get down to small distances, yards are close enough. I once flew a French aeroplane with the airspeed indicator in KMH and the altimeter in metres. Bloody ridiculous.

While we're at it, lets go the whole barking hog and change from degrees of arc (makes nautical miles sensible) to mils (nearly makes kilometres sensible)?
  18. I agree that kilometres are not suitable for measuring speed, neither are miles. Personally I prefer points of a mach number 8O

19. Yeah, and what a fiasco that turned out to be! Everyone still thinks in miles, they drive in MPH and lots of road signs are still in miles… Hours of fun.