Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving ban while signing up

RossM

Midshipman
Hi I signed up for air engineer passed entry test and interview. While I was in the process I got a drink driving ban of 3 years, which resulted in me fail8ng security clearance.
Does anybody know if I will pass security after my 3 years are up or if I'll have to wait another year for the rehibiltion process? So 4 years in total to re apply .
Thanks

Sumo

War Hero
Sorry can't answer your question, was the drinking alcohol then driving worth all the crap it has now caused you? To get a 3 year ban you must have been well over the limit?

RossM

Midshipman
It was certainly not worth losing my chance in the navy. But it is done now can't change that. But I hope to re apply as soon as I am eligible. Only just over second offence with in 10 years

tree_doctor

Badgeman
It was certainly not worth losing my chance in the navy. But it is done now can't change that. But I hope to re apply as soon as I am eligible. Only just over second offence with in 10 years
Just be aware that you'll probably have to discuss the bans in your interview when you eventually reapply. I don't know what your interviewers will be like, but I would be less than understanding.
And of course, try not to do it again within the next 4 years cos that would REALLY f*ck things up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RossM

Midshipman
Under the current rehabilitation of offenders act you must be 12 months clear of the conviction, fines paid, licence back. A three year ban is spent once you have your licence back. A fine is now spent once paid in full, 12 months after the date of conviction. It used to be five years!

Page 4 refers under 'fines' and 'disqualification': http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/files/cnr-pdfs/afo-mod-form-493-march-2014-version.pdf?la=en-gb

So I'm looking at 4 years from date of conviction? I paid the fine straight away. Just wondering with it being a 3 year ban I might not have to wait another year after. My careers advisor dealing with my application wasn't sure on this

RossM

Midshipman
The rehab periods run concurrently, as stated above. ie: Three years, not four.

Sorry yes I've just seen that so as soon I have my licence back I will get security clearance. Well an truly learnt my lesson. Going to spend next two years getting qualifications to save time when I join and start my training. Thank you very much for your help much appreciated

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just a shame the lesson needed to be learned twice. The service would've paid over £60,000 in wages over those three years.

Sumo

War Hero
Maybe you can get some professional help to discuss your drinking, it may help at interview to show you have reformed and sort help?

RossM

Midshipman
Maybe you can get some professional help to discuss your drinking, it may help at interview to show you have reformed and sort help?

I have helped myself I can count on one hand how many times I've had a drink in the 9 months since. I never had a drinking problem in the first place. I had 3 pints an drove 2 miles home around Xmas an got caught. Very stupid of me but it's in the past

G

guestm

I have helped myself I can count on one hand how many times I've had a drink in the 9 months since. I never had a drinking problem in the first place. I had 3 pints an drove 2 miles home around Xmas an got caught. Very stupid of me but it's in the past

If you make decisions that lead to events like that, then you do have a problem, that's a fact. Once is almost forgivable, but twice. Sumo's advice is sound.

I wouldn't employ you. I've known people kicked out of the forces for that. Be thankful you get a chance at all.

RossM

Midshipman
If you make decisions that lead to events like that, then you do have a problem, that's a fact. Once is almost forgivable, but twice. Sumo's advice is sound.

I wouldn't employ you. I've known people kicked out of the forces for that. Be thankful you get a chance at all.

No point getting help for a drink problem I don't have. I made a very bad choice the last one I'll ever make I can assure you. But with a profile picture like that I wouldnt listen to you. You don't seem to have the best decision making yourself putting that picture on here

G

guestm

No point getting help for a drink problem I don't have. I made a very bad choice the last one I'll ever make I can assure you. But with a profile picture like that I wouldnt listen to you. You don't seem to have the best decision making yourself putting that picture on here

Making that mistake twice means you have a problem, be it either with drink, or action and consequence. Having a drinking problem isn't as simple as a tick box as to whether you keep a bottle of vodka in the bottom drawer of your desk or not. As a result of drinking, you've experienced two life changing scenarios. Decide whether that is a problem or not, you already know the answer.

Your decision though, with your track record I'm sure you'll make the right one.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I will have my licence back at 27 months as they put me on a drink driving course. Would this make the time shorter or would I still have to wait 3 years?
Read the rehabilitation of offenders link, and the answer already given in post #7, see what you think.

RossM

Midshipman
It says until expiry of disqualification. Which would be 27 months as I'd have my licence back then. There for not disqualified

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Supercharging the future of driving this #WorldEVDay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Essex woman has her sentence increased for dangerous driving conviction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expired driving licences automatically extended by 11 months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA response to problems with driving test booking service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 4x4 drivers warned after group spotted driving in river MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving lessons, theory tests and driving tests to restart in Wales MoD News 1
pompeyexpat Cummings driving defence policy? Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS Driving lessons, theory tests and driving tests to restart in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving the change to greener vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Check your vehicle for these five things before driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving tests and MOTs for heavy vehicles suspended for up to 3 months to help tackle spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pivotal THINK! campaign calls on young men to step in and stop their mates from drink driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving complacency: 74% of drivers would risk life in flood water MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving commercial use of quantum technology: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Driving Permits (IDPs): the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to ensure safety of self-driving vehicles ahead of their sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA response to media reports about decade-low driving test pass rate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail Minister visits zero-emission technology driving the future of railways MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA reveals top driving test faults made in the first year of the new test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Becoming an Innovation Nation: Driving up private investment into research and development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary pledges support to automotive sector at ‘Driving the Future’ event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Driving Society surrenders Ofqual recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils favourite driving routes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Driving the future of the car industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils self-driving trucks set to speed up roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Updates to driving licences to include alternatively fuelled vans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: International Driving Permits (IDPs): the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Green light for dashboards in 2019 puts pension savers in the driving seat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: International Driving Permits (IDPs) – the facts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England footage shows dangers of driving too close MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Death by dangerous driving sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government moves forward on advanced trials for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
B Drink Driving on HMNB PORTSMOUTH Bases / Shore Est 20
MoD_RSS Press release: UK tests self-driving Martian robots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: THINK! Campaign urges young men to stop their friends drink-driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £1.3 billion industry/government investment in UK economy and new partnership driving early disease detection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Instructors' thumbs up for motorway driving lessons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: From science fiction to reality: People in London and Edinburgh set to be the first to trial self-driving vehicle services MoD News 0
eto89 Greenlane Driving Northumberland Motoring 2
S Driving License Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Navy Police driving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
M Failed driving test's! The Quarterdeck 0
I Driving conviction while waiting to join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Z Driving Lessons Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: DIO provides new accommodation at Europe’s biggest residential driving school MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch HGV Driving Instructor - Aylesbury - £24,210 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
B Driving lessons. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
janner Asian pile driving Diamond Lil's 3
taffscrivs Driving his van.... Miscellaneous 0