Driving ban while signing up

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by RossM, Aug 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I signed up for air engineer passed entry test and interview. While I was in the process I got a drink driving ban of 3 years, which resulted in me fail8ng security clearance.
    Does anybody know if I will pass security after my 3 years are up or if I'll have to wait another year for the rehibiltion process? So 4 years in total to re apply .
  2. Sorry can't answer your question, was the drinking alcohol then driving worth all the crap it has now caused you? To get a 3 year ban you must have been well over the limit?
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3 years is quite often a second offence.
  4. Yes it was a second offence
  5. It was certainly not worth losing my chance in the navy. But it is done now can't change that. But I hope to re apply as soon as I am eligible. Only just over second offence with in 10 years
  6. Just be aware that you'll probably have to discuss the bans in your interview when you eventually reapply. I don't know what your interviewers will be like, but I would be less than understanding.
    And of course, try not to do it again within the next 4 years cos that would REALLY f*ck things up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

8. So I'm looking at 4 years from date of conviction? I paid the fine straight away. Just wondering with it being a 3 year ban I might not have to wait another year after. My careers advisor dealing with my application wasn't sure on this
  9. Ninja_Stoker

The rehab periods run concurrently, as stated above. ie: Three years, not four.
  10. Sorry yes I've just seen that so as soon I have my licence back I will get security clearance. Well an truly learnt my lesson. Going to spend next two years getting qualifications to save time when I join and start my training. Thank you very much for your help much appreciated
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Just a shame the lesson needed to be learned twice. The service would've paid over £60,000 in wages over those three years.
  12. I will have my licence back at 27 months as they put me on a drink driving course. Would this make the time shorter or would I still have to wait 3 years?
  13. Maybe you can get some professional help to discuss your drinking, it may help at interview to show you have reformed and sort help?

14. I have helped myself I can count on one hand how many times I've had a drink in the 9 months since. I never had a drinking problem in the first place. I had 3 pints an drove 2 miles home around Xmas an got caught. Very stupid of me but it's in the past
  15. If you make decisions that lead to events like that, then you do have a problem, that's a fact. Once is almost forgivable, but twice. Sumo's advice is sound.

I wouldn't employ you. I've known people kicked out of the forces for that. Be thankful you get a chance at all.
  16. No point getting help for a drink problem I don't have. I made a very bad choice the last one I'll ever make I can assure you. But with a profile picture like that I wouldnt listen to you. You don't seem to have the best decision making yourself putting that picture on here
  17. Making that mistake twice means you have a problem, be it either with drink, or action and consequence. Having a drinking problem isn't as simple as a tick box as to whether you keep a bottle of vodka in the bottom drawer of your desk or not. As a result of drinking, you've experienced two life changing scenarios. Decide whether that is a problem or not, you already know the answer.

Your decision though, with your track record I'm sure you'll make the right one.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Read the rehabilitation of offenders link, and the answer already given in post #7, see what you think.
  19. It says until expiry of disqualification. Which would be 27 months as I'd have my licence back then. There for not disqualified

20. It says until expiry of disqualification. So 27 months as I'd have my licence back. Therefore not disqualified