Drinking-Cut it out?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Honour_Courage_Respect, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently training for my POC which is at the end of January. I've cut down drastically on my drinkin, to only one night a week if that and even then im good in the morning. Im just wondering whether i should completely cut it out in the next couple of months, in case it has an effect on my training.
    Any Tips?
    HCR

2. A little of what you fancy does you good, so they say. Probably doing the right thing though.

3. Drink as much as you want as long as your willing to train harder to make up for it.

Sounds sad, but when I'm out drinking I count how much calories I have drunk and then do the amount of exercise extra the next day to get rid of it, and then my normal fitness.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are not expected to live the life of a temperance preacher during your physical preparations however, as with all things, moderation is the key. You would be well advised to consider that this may be your only shot at POC, so it would most likely be to your benefit to desist from the New Year onwards.

5. Yes it does.

6. Doctor: "do you drink?" - Patient: "of course I drink, I'm a Naval Officer !"

Everything in moderation, the occasional binge is perfectly acceptable and "standard practice".

Counting the calories - now that is just f*cking sad :thumright:

7. How much do you want to pass the test? It's a one off which leaves you plenty of time ahead to get wasted. And you probably will!
    P.S. A glass or two of red wine a day is reputedly good for your well-being.
    Good luck.

8. Yeah pretty sad but the only way to control your body fat percentage. Would be pretty handy to just have an eject button for all your unwanted crap in your body really :(

9. Red wine is fermented with the skins, allowing the wine to absorb the resveratrol, whereas white wine is fermented after the skin has been removed.

The point that has not been mentioned is your age. The senior types amongst us only have to look at a pint of guinness and we put on a stone. Drinking along with eating the thing to remember take more out than you put in.

10. Just remember though its really really dangerous to exercise after a night of drinking, I NEVER do it the day after, probably will get ripped for saying this but I rather be wise than sorry

11. Drinking-Cut it out

No, its the only think keeping me from Killing all the Idiots, you would not like it if I CUT IT OUT

LOL

12. I religiously cut out all the newspaper articles on the dangers of drinking, and then read them while I'm imbibing my nightly tipple. But then, the only test I have to pass, is getting up in the morning - or sometime!
    It's great being beyond the age of responsibility!

2BM

13. I haven't touched alcohol since I was 15, that's 5 years ago now. Personal choice really. Don't miss it one bit :)

But I'm not going to be a jerk about it. If someone want's me to drink because of tradition than I don't want to ruin anyone's traditions.

14. It is not for me to condone going out every night and getting pissed out of your brain...............................but it has always worked for me.

15. Why, exactly?

16. I was wondering the same thing. Every Saturday morning I wake up with a stonking great hangover and I work it off by swimming 1km. I think if alcohol really did affect your health if drunk before exercise then half(or more) of our armed services would be dead by the time they hit 30.

17. Alcohol has some serious effects on the body and muscles,most notably dehydration with the water flushed out of the muscles which they need for survival. Alcohol also decreases protein synthesis an integral part of muscle growth and muscle maintenance,thus if protein synthesis is decreased your gym session will be a waste of time as your muscles will not grow.This is more aimed at weight trainers not so much at the hamsters on treadmills.As i mentioned earlier dehydration,which can cause muscle catabolism which occurs when your body uses muscle cells as energy.You drink alcohol you get dehydrated ,your muscle cels get drained so the body canot rehydrate itself.As a result muscle cells can no longer be used by your body for anything but energy.Therefore the next time you exercise you will not be burning off fat but those depleted muscle cells instead.Alcohol consumption causes testosterone to decrease and this can cause an increase in the levels of cortisol a hormone that destroys muscle.So in a nutshell you are wasting your time drinking and exercising. I work in saudi arabia i am off the drink for 3 months at a time i am 45 i have never been bigger and stronger than i am now and this includes my time during field gun,the secret hard training and no alcohol.But i am home for xmas so i will have a few guinnesses ,magners ,kopperberg cider and maybe an odd baileys over the festive period lol.