Drink Yachting.......... to be outlawed

I thought a news item I've just encountered may be of interest to my fellow RNSA folk and others besides.

The Government are planning to extend the law prohibiting drinking whilst operating a yacht to gentlemen (ie amateur) yachties. The law, introduced in 2004, currently applies only to professionals.

I hope I have always behaved correctly (as crew, I should point out) by quaffing the wine and shellfish, etc only after mooring in late afternoon/early evening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk_politics/6749253.stm

I'd like to see that enforced during Cowes Week. Did I miss what the penalty will be? Can't exactly lose your licence. I agree with you, excessive alcohol only once secure alongside - but a stubby or 2 on a warm afternoon? Should be allowed.

Bergen

ADC
Let's hope that drinking and boating laws are never properly enforced in the US. It is one of life's small pleasures to watch the criminally incompetent and rat-arsed attempt to navigate the ICW. Usually at high speed.

Bummer :thumright:

RM

Bergen said:
Let's hope that drinking and boating laws are never properly enforced in the US. It is one of life's small pleasures to watch the criminally incompetent and rat-arsed attempt to navigate the ICW. Usually at high speed.

RM
What had you been drinking Bergs??!! :wink: Obviously NOT Budweiser!

Seems to me that in some countries any monkey with enough nuts can buy the most fearful of boats and take to the water.
A lot of other countries have compulsory training and insurance regimes, which must have cut down the annual attrition a bit.
Less dodgy decisions based on half a bottle will be welcome.
ps I'd change the first word of the name of that boat to 'Lifelong'.

Bergen

ADC
Always_a_Civvy said:
Bergen said:

RM
What had you been drinking Bergs??!! :wink: Obviously NOT Budweiser!

If you ever saw the chemical factory on the outskirts of Houston where Bugslider is concocted then you wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole either AAC.

I try to stick with Mexican beer with lime and it must work 'cos I haven't caught Scurvy yet.

RM

Bergen

ADC
sussex2 said:
Seems to me that in some countries any monkey with enough nuts can buy the most fearful of boats and take to the water.
A lot of other countries have compulsory training and insurance regimes, which must have cut down the annual attrition a bit.
I think that it was changed to HMS Nottingham........but that's only a rumour :bball:

Bergen said:
sussex2 said:
I think that it was changed to HMS Nottingham........but that's only a rumour :bball:
Que malo!

Ships_Cat

War Hero
I wonder if it will apply to narrowboats as well, since most are over 23ft (usually 68ft when full length), and although the limit on the cut is 4mph, most diesel powered boats can manage 7kts, eg on the Severn, Mersey, Trent etc. However, since there are pubs every few miles on most canals and anyone who has been on one can attest its practically illegal not to drink all day, leading to many "incidents" around locks and bridges, what are the chances of plod breathalysing punters in a new round of revenue capture? Canaldrifter beware of speed traps!! :nemo:

Ships_Cat said:
I wonder if it will apply to narrowboats as well, since most are over 23ft (usually 68ft when full length), and although the limit on the cut is 4mph, most diesel powered boats can manage 7kts, eg on the Severn, Mersey, Trent etc. However, since there are pubs every few miles on most canals and anyone who has been on one can attest its practically illegal not to drink all day, leading to many "incidents" around locks and bridges, what are the chances of plod breathalysing punters in a new round of revenue capture? Canaldrifter beware of speed traps!! :nemo:
I got done for speeding on the norfolk broads once...woops....boat full of booties sent there to "unwind" after a tour to NI...yeah right then, on the p1ss for 4 days then we jacked it in and went home, which is was we wanted to do in the first place.

Canaldrifter caught speeding in possession of a barge and a tinnie! :lol: :biggrin: :biggrin: Poor CD. Could he get out of it by registering his dog as skipper? :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS ‘Bounce back’ plan for agriculture, food and drink industry launched MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Letter from the Environment Secretary to the food and drink industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: CMA open letter to pharmaceutical and food and drink industries. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Growing global appetite for British food and drink exports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pivotal THINK! campaign calls on young men to step in and stop their mates from drink driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cheltenham recovery drink revitalises the UAE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: EU Exit guidance for food, drink and farming sector stakeholders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: No deal Brexit advice: guidance on food and drink labelling MoD News 0
B Drink Driving on HMNB PORTSMOUTH Bases / Shore Est 20
MoD_RSS News story: THINK! Campaign urges young men to stop their friends drink-driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: David Rutley tours UK food and drink industry MoD News 0
C Drink Drive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
soleil Telegraph: "Armed Forces Drink 'To Point Of Oblivion', Minister Warns" The Quarterdeck 20
D Can skimmers still drink at sea? The Fleet 82
soleil Telegraph: "Sailors Given Freedom Of The City ... Then Refused A Drink" The Fleet 26
Blackrat Drink - The Alibi of a Nation. Diamond Lil's 27
sgtpepperband USN Doctor Prescribes "Monster Energy Drink to Cure Scurvy! Health & Fitness 6
Guzzler Drink Problem? Diamond Lil's 39
BillyNoMates Good News! Now you can DRINK it. Diamond Lil's 1
scouse Pongos refused a drink Diamond Lil's 59
Drakey Drink Driving Miscellaneous 0
Stirling Passed on and left his mates 'a drink' The Corps 6
P ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU DRINK Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Paddy...........Did you have a bit to drink last night? Miscellaneous 0
E drink driving and the navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
O Ptsd and Drink Health & Fitness 146
sgtpepperband Navy man's drink-drive ban Current Affairs 80
P Doctor who used to drink now fit for work Current Affairs 5
daffy1 Drink driving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Rookie-WWFC Drink culture in the RN, Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
M Drink Driving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 106
Passed-over_Loggie Scotland and the Demon Drink Current Affairs 25
D Indias new soft drink. Diamond Lil's 1
NotmeChief You can drink and drive. The Quarterdeck 23
Guns Hot chocy drink with custard powder...... History 8
Vesper Coco drink? History 44
alhucoll Cut crime with drink tax - WTF! Current Affairs 8
N Faslane Drink 1st or 2nd Jan 08 Submariners 4
brazenhussy Do Brits drink to much!! Diamond Lil's 23
slim THREE-TIME DRINK-DRIVER AVOIDS JAIL SENTENCE The Quarterdeck 6
slim I want a drink anyone got a dog I can sell Diamond Lil's 12
UncleAlbert Drink Navy Diamond Lil's 45
andym New soft Drink Diamond Lil's 4
higthepig Drink and Drugs Current Affairs 6
soleil "Motor Boat & Yachting Tests A Royal Navy Frigate!" The Fleet 0
soleil Yachting Monthly: "Royal Navy Pilot Passes Yachtmaster Theory In Afghanistan" The Fleet Air Arm 0
SILVER_FOX New era begins as age discrimation outlawed The Quarterdeck 14