drifters taken for service in WW2

Discussion in 'History' started by mophead, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to find the wartime history of a Scottish motor drifter;can anyone point me in the direction of any information that may still be held by the RN please.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try this website and forum, there are some knowledgeble people on it.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. British Warships of World War II by Lenton and Colledge contains a whole section on trawlers and drifter, including requisitioned vessels. Cant lay hands on my battered 1962 edition, daughter been house cleaning. Believe it was updated in the 90s, good bet to try your local library.

5. Its little known that there was one based on Killybegs in Eire during the war,officially as a SAR asset. HMT 'Robert Hastey'.

6. Thank you all for your help....please keep the leads coming.

7. Try to get hold of a copy of "Harry Tate's Navy" by Jimmy Brown, ISBN 0 9522706 1 7 which was printed in 1994. This is the story of the Royal Naval Patrol Service who exclusively utilised trawlers and drifters during WWII. Don't know if he is still around but Jimmy's address was:

6,Strathburn Gardens
    Inverurie
    AB51 4RY

Red Sailor

8. What was the drifter's name?

9. Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. She's the "Soverign",built at Noble's,Fraserburgh in 1936,fisheries registration LH171

11. Yes,that's her....probably in the late sixties after she had been sold to a Hartlepool company.Perviously she was reguistered as BK29 at Seahouses,then LH368 at Port Seaton.It is the time from her orriginal registration as LH171 in 1935 to her registration as BK29 at Seahouses that I'm trying to discover;local legend says that she was requistioned for naval service during the war but no proff of this can be found....hence my query on here.
    My thanks to everyone for their replies.