Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Gollum, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the score with drafts after phase 2/3 training. I'm hoping to get onto SSN's but I understand that what you want isn't necessarily what you get and it mostly depends on where there are shortages. How likely are newbies to get their first preference?

Also regarding Plymouth and Faslane, I know that from 2012 all boats will be based in Faslane, so are people still being drafted to Plymouth? I'd like to get Plymouth as we have friends there, but either way I'm not too fussed as my family'll be moving with me anyway, regardless of where it is.

Thanks for any help :thumright:
  2. My bold. 2012 - really, where did you get that little "gem" from then?
  3. Gollum you will get exactly what you want mate :)
    As long as that's exactly where drafty wants to send you!
    As a first draft, you have no, erm, "leverage" of taking a crap "out of preference" draft for example so that you can have the draft you would like.
    Best thing is to just smile and accept what you are given even though you might be screaming inside.
    As far as I'm aware, the SM side of things is struggling at the moment, so you may just get your wish.
    Good Luck.
  4. I have a question for you - what trade are you? This obviously has an influence to some degree.

The bit about 2012 can be lifted/interpreted from certain parts of the Babcock literature, and let's face it - has more than just an element of truth about it...although as with all things pusser, the date is without doubt a wild stab in the dark...add a couple or five years...or so!

Drafts to Plymouth? Yes, of course. Ask yourself this - does the Trafalgar class run from Plymouth?
    Although....it has to be said that the greatest/most important need is 'probably' in Faslane.

The way it works is this...

You are somewhere in the training pipeline...

A man in training planning informs the waterfront (north & south) that about X amount of people are soon to complete training.

The waterfront submit their requirements to training planning in Raleigh.

Available manpower is apportioned appropriately taking into account (where possible) the preferences (and sometimes the personal circumstances) of those trainees.

There you go...sorted!!
  5. You want to goto Faslane? put in for Plymouth. You want to go to Plymouth? put in for Faslane.

Drafty is fantastic like that and will always look after you as best he can.

Personally if I wanted a Devonport boat I would put in for the next bomber due into LOP(R)
  6. notafourknotfudgepacker: I was told 2012 by the careers office.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  7. They're talking bollocks!!
  8. Gollum, do London Wasps have a B team?
  9. Lujon, that made me chuckle...
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I got stung by a bee the other day. £20 for a jar of honey! 8O :oops:
  11. So somethings still havent changed in 30 years then ?

I wanted a P and O Boat based in Pompey (as I lived in Sussex ) and got a Bomber out of Faslane !!( mind you I did enjoy it in the end )
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I've had two Leanders and five Type 42s and have never joined any of them in Pompey; two T42s were Rosyth-based (before being re-assigned to PORFLOT), both Leanders and one T42 were Pompey-based but in refit in Rosyth at the time, the other two T42s were deployed in the Gulf at the time... 8O

The only time I've joined a Pompey-based ship in Pompey was HMS Bristol, in 15 Dock, in 1987!