Drafted to NP Iraq

mariner

Hi Guys,
I'm off to serve in Iraq next month for a while :cry: .
I know pusser gives us loads of kit to take but was just wondering if anyone had any tips or what civvy kit is good to take.
I haven't got a clue how much locker space we get or what the living state is, just a bit nervous about going and any advice will be well received.

Cheers!

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
When I went out in 2003 I was issued an Arctic sleeping bag by Nelson - if they're still giving them out see if you can swap it for a Jungle sleeping bag, they are much better and take up a third of the space in your bergan.
Civvy sport socks are best with desert boots, better than pussers socks.
Find yourself a friendly pongo or bootneck and get them to assemble your webbing. Set yourself up a hotmail account (if you haven't already) and get yourself registered on the e-bluey website. Take your camera with you everywhere and enjoy the draft! I had a great time (apart from the occasional mortar attack or ieds)
I believe the mounting procedure and PDT is a bit better nowadays so you get quite a bit of training before you get out there.

Keep your head down and see you on here in 6 months with plenty of dits

mariner

cheers guys.
I am kinda looking forward to it, will be good to say i did it.
Yeah, i will definately take my camera but i'll just be careful where i get the film developed - lol.

Have a look at a 'Softie 6' sleeping bag. I have had one since just before Purple Star in '96. Easily fits into a side pouch (pooch to Army/RM's!) on your Bergan.

I have yet to go out there since the War (and I didn't get ashore then!), but join 846 NAS in September so it IS looming.

As nutty says, keep your head down and be safe.

Jim30

Lantern Swinger
If you're going to BAS then you'll have a reasonable amount of space. Living conditions are basic but comfortable, but what you'll be in depends on where you are and what job you'll be doing. You'll either be in tents or corrimecs. If you're a matelot, prepare to look good in CS95's as thats what you'll be wearing...

Happy to offer more specific details via PM if you want.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
digger84 Septic & French Engineers drafted to 23's Current Affairs 47
O Changes to SFA entitlement when drafted out of area Bases / Shore Est 8
soleil HMS Ark Royal's Personnel To Be Drafted to HMS Illustrious Current Affairs 5
W Engineering Technicans drafted to boats? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
N Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect? The Corps 32
D Just Been Drafted to Afghanistan Current Affairs 40
MoD_RSS UK personnel to drawdown from Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement following US airstrikes in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: Universal Periodic Review on Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement following attack on Camp Taji in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on attack in Iraq: 11 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of the Prime Minister's call with the PM of Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement from President Macron, Chancellor Merkel and Prime Minister Johnson on the situation in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on the situation in Iraq following calls with President Macron, President Trump and Chancellor Merkel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iran: UK responds to US airstrike on military commander in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iraq: UK condemns attack on US Embassy in Baghdad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on escalation of violence in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting the work of UNITAD in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting the work of UNITAD in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence response to allegations relating to the conduct of UK forces in Iraq and Afghanistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 34th Universal Periodic Review: UK statement on Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Continued violence in Iraq: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Iraq: Mr Stephen Hickey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Returning refugees home and securing lasting peace in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Iraq agree future defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Reconstruction, reconciliation and representation as the keys to progress in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trade Secretary announces £1 billion to support trade with Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Export Finance helps Siemens deliver energy security for Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister for the Middle East announces new UK aid package to help Iraq rebuild infrastructure and boost economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective Governance in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective Governance in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with Prime Minister Mehdi of Iraq: 26 October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Iraq election 2018: statement from Minister for the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PM statement following meeting with Prime Minister al-Abadi of Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK ramps up counter-terror effort in Iraq as Daesh caliphate crumbles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary statement on Kurdish/Iraq tensions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Statement to the Commons on the campaign against Daesh in Iraq & Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Iraq and Afghanistan Memorial unveiled in London MoD News 0
dapperdunn Iraq and Afganistan memorial Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS News story: Iraq Afghanistan Memorial to be unveiled in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD statement following death of soldier in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Daesh clinging to Iraq as UK marks anniversary of operations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM's phone call with PM Abadi of Iraq: 1 September 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: PM statement on the Iraq Inquiry: 6 July 2016 MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Government response: Copies of the Iraq Inquiry report for families MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO Minister: Reports that ISIL have murdered 70 Sunni tribesmen in Anbar, Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Update: air strikes in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: LATEST: air strikes in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Office Minister condemns cowardly attacks across Iraq MoD News 0
soleil Chris Parry CBE RN Retd: "Iraq Tales: What the Army Learned" Current Affairs 0