Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by northernbootie, Jan 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got a draft to HMS Bulwark what can I expect as a bootie. I know its not going to be a doss (nothing ever is but there you go). But I'd like to know what I'll be doing day to day. Because I have a very short attention span and have seen lots of very good looking matelows of the female variety and if I can spend my days chatting them up I'll have less work to do later in Jester's.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oh dear, a warship AND heterosexual you say?

Hmmn, you're not going to like Thurdays, Royal.
  3. Are you a Bandy or a Commando? If you are a Commando, where are the rest of the boy`s? or are the cutbacks that bad that we only have one Bootie per ship??
  4. You must have been p1ssed.

At least you can borrow some clothes from them for the usual booty night out.

It's matelot, not matelow.
  5. Nope HMS Bulwark has its own squadron 4 assualt so there are lots of us...wait you were looking for a bite!!!! Bloody Red arrse mistake damn it!!!
  6. Notes mistake won't happen again.
  7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

You have a deployment to the Far East to look forward to. And no that is not an OPSEC breach.

Your Troop Officer should have written to you (OC Spt Tp or OCLC) and included a copy of the Longcast that gives details of visits etc.

If you are an LC then guess what, you will get to work on either the LCVP or LCUs. Other trades are Driver, working the Vehicle Deck or ABU(Heavy) - Sigs in the COR or ABU - VM working the Vehicle Deck.

The Royals that get the most from their time on board are those that accept being part of the Ship's Company and get involved. Those that don't mix and think they are something special and need not interact with the blue side of the team often find it dull and difficult.
  8. Thanks for that one. I'm a sig so now I know what I'll be up too.
  9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Your going to become a real expert in BOWMAN BCIS 5 that much I do know. You will work in the Ops Room as a Watchkeeper at first. Once you have proved you can hack it then there is a chance of moving to the Amphibious Beach Unit (ABU) and get to go ashore.

10. Lots and lots of water,so i have been told.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I was sigs on Fearless, get on the ABU if you can, you'll do fcuk all. Sit on a beach and talk to LCU's or the big boat. Every LCU has a signaller on board so you might end up doing that. Just be warry of RM seniors that have been in the LC branch to long and become a bit "matelofied". you'll enjoy it, and every wrens essence once you've been away a month or so.
  12. Put in for a Swap draft?
  13. Mate good effot for getting pinged for a ships draft, what SQ are you?

I did 2 1/2 years on the mighty O.

As part of the ASRM you will have to do your fair share of ships duties. As a marine you will have to do DHP (Dinning hall party) and Bosuns mate duties. As a JNCO you will have to do QM (Quatermaster) duties. The Bosuns mate and QM duties basically consist of you standing on the gangway for 6 hrs. These duties will probably come around once a week, ten days or so. Whilst on duty you will also have a secondary duties aswell.You will have your own part of ship to maintain as well (as an ASRM).

On the whole I enjoyed my time on ship and hopefully you will get some good trips out of it. The lads in the ASRM are always a close knit bunch who have a great deal of pride in being Royal on board a ship (hence you will be living in the Barracks not a Mess deck). During BOST there is also lots of cleaning to be done as it is a big ship with a relatively small crew.

The only negative things I had were the frequancy of duties and also some of the old naval ways used to frustrate me.
  14. Booties where always Cable Party :roll: :roll: :wink: on big ships. Watch out for the kai Tais in Singars :oops: Round the world go!! "What took you so long" ?? "I thought you said twice sarge"!!! enjoy the commission, and dont forget to tip the gully gully man?? no sneaking off
  15. Yer we did that a few times to, especially when the OM's were struggling.
  16. The RM Detachment we had on the Glasgow were given POS roles when entering and leaving harbour along with cable party. Nothing to do with OM's Struggling as we coped well enough without the detachment for BOST DOST and the rest of the time at sea lol

The RM Detachment did get used during our Far East Tour '99. When they had to secure a an F1-11 Crash Site on an Island during Ex Flying fish. And obviously East Timor kicked off then as well.
  17. Is this Nails in yet another disguise.
  18. This aint me homes. I don't know much about it but from what I'm guessing a Marine's duty aboard a ship is board enemy vessells during ship to ship combat and to shoot mutinous sailors.
  19. [​IMG]
  20. .[/quote]

Is this Nails in yet another disguise.[/quote]

It isn't and I know that for a fact!