Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

DR coming back?

Waspie

War Hero
With the possibility of GPS and IT systems failures or sabotaging.

Will Navigators be back to pencil sharpeners and dividers and those old fashioned paper charts to get us back home!!!!

I was talking about this when I was in and was firmly told, no-one can interfere with satellites!!! Haaa- De Haaaa!!!!!

BBC News

Firmly with you on that one.

A set of charts on standby for the intended area of operation would be sensible in my mind, but I presume someone in the head shed has done a risk / benefit analysis and used "number of times satellite / equipment failed" as <1 as the multiplier and decided it wasn't worth the money to procure and maintain them, just on the off-chance. And there is the possibility that as the tech takes further hold, we will find we have navigators who cannot read a standard nautical chart any more even if they did have one.

Then again, there must be some sort of back-up or contingency - re-routing to another system? (works in Star Trek)

There was a trend maybe even dependency on the technical aspect of navigation when I was flying 30 years ago. So much so after a systems failure in the North Sea I had to resort to DR to get us to our destination with a cabin full of SF who wouldn't have been impressed if the sortie would have aborted due to a GPS malfunction!! Much kudos to me and a great deal of back to basics for the Observer!
Even the Senior Observer failed a paper navigation test after the incident. Point proved.

There was a trend maybe even dependency on the technical aspect of navigation when I was flying 30 years ago. So much so after a systems failure in the North Sea I had to resort to DR to get us to our destination with a cabin full of SF who wouldn't have been impressed if the sortie would have aborted due to a GPS malfunction!! Much kudos to me and a great deal of back to basics for the Observer!
Even the Senior Observer failed a paper navigation test after the incident. Point proved.

Indeed. I bet you knocked him into a cocked hat.....

Indeed. I bet you knocked him into a cocked hat.....
Very good!!! (Rarely used that in choppers though).

Operating from land. Usually we will use 1 radar fix. Determine actual position, recalculate wind and go from there!!! (Seriously simplified). We call it a '6 minute fixed depart'!

As sea!!! All we get is; (hopefully), a good position, (Lat 'n' Long), then the ships intended movement!!!! Then it's all down to good old dead reckoning!!!! (And a sh1t load of luck that the ship is actually going to follow the route is passed to you!!!!) It gives a pucker factor of 10+ when after an hour plus you look up and WHAT - No Ship!!!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkccccccccccc

They would behind the GPS failure!! (Cough cough). So do you think they would allow us to piggy back their systems??

Only to access our data systems!!!!
There may have been a tongue firmly jammed in a cheek when my post was written! I'll use a smiley instead of just dots next time! ;)

There may have been a tongue firmly jammed in a cheek when my post was written! I'll use a smiley instead of just dots next time! ;)
I knew that, hence my 'cough, cough'!!!

Can't beat the spoken word to avoid these misinterpretations of the written word!!! Insert 'thumbs up', 'smiley face' etc blah blah blah!!

With the possibility of GPS and IT systems failures or sabotaging.

Will Navigators be back to pencil sharpeners and dividers and those old fashioned paper charts to get us back home!!!!

I was talking about this when I was in and was firmly told, no-one can interfere with satellites!!! Haaa- De Haaaa!!!!!

BBC News
Some navigators joke that the derivation of this phrase comes from “dead wrong,” referencing the unreliability of this technique. Others suggest it is a derivative of “deduced reckoning,” arguing that historical records sometimes refer to it as “ded. reckoning.” Research into the origins of the phrase does not support either of these claims, although the term itself dates to at least the 1600s, when it began to be used by English navigators.

Some navigators joke that the derivation of this phrase comes from “Dead Rong,” referencing the unreliability of this technique. Others suggest it is a derivative of “deduced reckoning,” arguing that historical records sometimes refer to it as “ded. reckoning.” Research into the origins of the phrase does not support either of these claims, although the term itself dates to at least the 1600s, when it began to be used by English navigators.
Corrected that to make D-R fit!!!

If it's so unreliable how come it works!!!!

Latest Threads