Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SILVER_FOX, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right! I'm getting a little fed up with all the negativity about the Country.

Recession, too many immigrants, people scrounging benefits which they're not entitled to, unemployment, big brother culture, knife crime, failing schools and hospitals, under funding of the military, allowing ourselves to be dictated to by minor nations of Europe and of course our inherent dodgy politicians.

Has it really gotten so bad? What annoys us most or makes us happiest about life in Britain today? Discuss if you can be bothered. :thumright:

2. I can understand (most of) the language :)

Yep, thats about it!
  3. The answer to all your questions SF is a resounding YES.
    If it were not for my children and grandchildren I would emigrate tomorrow (oh and my wife isn't keen on leaving).
    We have become a nation of workshy benefit scroungers, if it's there claim for it. Don't work for it, the government will give it to you.
    We once had the greatest health service in the world, we now have, dirty hospitals, long waiting lists and a dental service only the rich can afford to use.

The criminal society now have the upper hand, the law will not tolerate citizens arrest and the prisons have been turned into rest homes.

Immigration is at an all time high both legal and illegal. Fine if the immigrant is working and contributing but not if they come purely to enjoy our benefit paradise (we have enough home grown participants for that).

Parliament, which used to be known as the Mother of parliaments has deteriorated into a den of thieves, liars and scroungers. Members who are careful not to break any laws but able to legally milk the system for maximum gain.

Many people are emigrating, unfortunately for the government though these are in the main those who have worked or are working and paying taxes. They will of course continue to pay their taxes, but in a different country.
  4. Slim are you Norman Tebbitt?
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Try this for a week or so:
    1. Avoid watching the news or interacting with anyone or anything that is likely to regurgitate the daily speel of fear and outrage.(little of which actually has any effect on your day to day life)
    2. Watch your favourite movies for a few evenings, comedy is good.
    3. This time of year, put on your coat and take a walk in a nearby woods, make it an hour or so minimum, if you have a river or canal nearby even better.

Peace will be restored and you'll be better equipped to return to our depressing and negative media obsessed world.......... for about a week, then just do it again :thumright:
  6. See now THAT to me just seems like putting your head in the sand CT :)
  7. Sounds like you have been reading from the Little Book of Calm Chieftiff.

Wish I could go for a walk in the woods but me feet would get wet at the moment. Will have to wait until we put into shore again.

8. chieftiff

There's a saying "the happiest man in the village is the village idiot" I live in a village (with more than one idiot) and can vouch for that statement, what do they think of that keeps them smiling all the time?

I'm writing it :thumright:

Speaking of which the sea is meant to be calming, you obviously aren't spending enough time in the bar
  9. The sea is not in line of sight from the bar.

10. Just make it better. Shoot a chav or two. Makes you feel brilliant too.
  11. Is that a confession Proud?

12. No mate a dream.
  13. Ahhh! Well then may your dreams be as vivid as is legally possible.

14. Britain is still a great country to live in despite the politicians attempts to foul it up. We have become subject to pettifogging petty officialdom which seeks to grind us down and keep us in our place.We are spied on like no other nation on Earth in the name of security,yet quite happily let thousands of foreigners come and settle on the flimsiest of excuses.But we are complacent and keep rolling over to get shafted time and time again.
    Chieftiff suggests we all decamp the countryside and shut the nasty world out,I tried that but unfortunately nothing had changed for the better when I stuck my head over the parapet again.
    When I was in the mob we went got and got ratted at every oppotunity,perhaps that is the answer now.Cheers to that anyway.
  15. When I started this post I did it with a little "tongue in cheek" in mind. Now I realise there are serious aspects to this subject.

One of the biggest problems this country faces is the "Silent Majority". Many are unhappy with various aspects of life in the UK just now but we repeatedly fail to do a lot about it. Instead we sit back and grumble, moan and chunter about what's wrong and all the while allow the louder minorities to be heard.

In the end very little will ever change, indeed it will most likely get a whole lot worse, unless and until the majority stand up for what they want and what the perceive to be wrong.

16. chieftiff

Not quite, what I'm suggesting is; worry about the stuff that actually matters and even then try and strike a balance, there's a poem by William Henry Davies that reminds us what it is to be alive if only we took the time:

What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
  17. Was that poem written in a perhaps more "innocent" time ?
  18. chieftiff

Well he died in 1940 ish, some say he was in touch with the world and this was his way of expressing that. I prefer to think that he wrote it out of guilt having spent his life sat indoors writing poetry to pay the bills :thumright:

In all honesty it's as valid today as yesterday, it says take some time to balance stuff up, and don't live your life bound to the propoganda you are bombarded with every day, most of which has absolutely no effect on your everyday life but makes you go......arghhhhhhhhhh!!

It could have been written with 24 hour television news channels in mind :dwarf:
  19. As I thought, a more innocent time. That poem has no relevance today, at least not for me, anyway.
    The problem isn't 24 hour TV, its lots of different things to different people. I'm glad that you can "get away from it all" CT but I can't. I have three kids growing up in this sh1thole country, where, as a country, we are forced to be more "understanding" to the minorities with big voices than we are to our own service personnel, ex or otherwise, for example. Where someone can get a massive pay out for hurt feelings but a Soldier with limbs blown off has to look to charity to bring some kind of normality to his life.

Check out Pat Condell, I am one of his subscribers on YouTube. I agree with a LOT of what he has to say.
  20. chieftiff

I'm not saying there aren't problems or that you shouldn't get upset or angry about them. I am saying that we all need to strike a balance and take the opportunity to reflect on what really is important and what isn't (it will be different for each of us) I'm as guilty as everyone and have got outraged at some pretty irrelevant sh!t, of late though I have realised there's more to life than just being angry, I think the poem reflects that. It's stuck on th enoticeboard right above my desk.

Pat Condell is a comedian, he makes me laugh sometimes with his observational humour but that's as far as I'd go, he presents events and stories from a fixed perspective......... no balance, that's why he's headed for an early heart attack. :thumright: