Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

double question

carl

Badgeman
1st part is about tax. How is it worked out? Is it combined with your civilian salary and taxed as one? Or is it done seperately, in which case I doubt you would get taxed much as you wont earn that much?

2nd part of the question is about cardiovascular training. Basically I have shin splints and am just wondering if I can subsitute running (taking 2 months off running- selection is in oct) for the cycling and rowing machines FOR NOW.

Cheers,

Carl

A

angrydoc

As a non-reservist, I don't have a clue about the first question.

Regarding the second, you don't have much choice do you! You can't run, so you'll have to make do with cycling, rowing and other non-impact exercises. This should maintain your cardiovascular level as long as you are doing it properly, but frankly it's academic as running is not an option.

carl said:
1st part is about tax. How is it worked out? Is it combined with your civilian salary and taxed as one? Or is it done seperately, in which case I doubt you would get taxed much as you wont earn that much?

2nd part of the question is about cardiovascular training. Basically I have shin splints and am just wondering if I can subsitute running (taking 2 months off running- selection is in oct) for the cycling and rowing machines FOR NOW.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, are you talking about your annual bounty, uniform upkeep allowance or payments for services rendered?

carl

Badgeman
I understand I have to make do with the rowing and cycling, its a bit of a b*tch but hey what can you do. IF my shin splints dont clear up by selection Id just go down there hoping for the best having only trained on the cycle,rowing and swimming o_O

thingy, as I understand it your annual bounty is tax free, but you get taxed on how much you have worked. I cant see it as being that much taxed though, im guessing it would be done through PAYE.

cheers,,

carl

dogsnaffle

Badgeman
carl said:
I understand it your annual bounty is tax free, but you get taxed on how much you have worked. I cant see it as being that much taxed though, im guessing it would be done through PAYE.

You are right there Carl. Basically you will receive a separate payslip from RMR for your work with them. The nice man in the pay office will sort out the tax and you will paye as normal. The difference is that this will be registered with the less-nice man at the tax office as a second income and you will be taxed accordingly. The trg bonus is as you say tax free.

Hope this helps.

War Hero
dogsnaffle said:
The difference is that this will be registered with the less-nice man at the tax office as a second income and you will be taxed accordingly.

Notwithstanding that, and subject to primary income, it's worth looking at self assessment, to try to claw a little of the tax back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New funding to double nursing apprentices and help deliver 50,000 more nurses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests £85m to double coronavirus charity fundraising MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to double efforts to tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peru and UK to start double taxation agreement talks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Repeat offender double glazing boss disqualified for 11 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK to double F-35 fleet with 17-jet order, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces' double win at UK Race Equality Awards MoD News 0
Good CO Sunday Times - RAF 'to double Fast Jet squadrons' in SDSR, Army to do badly... Current Affairs 27
S Double vision rfa RFA 7
soleil BBC: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier Costs 'To Double'" The Fleet 72
trelawney126 Did Boots do Double Points for Mrs Hulme Diamond Lil's 3
MoD_RSS News story: Double first for French and British fast jet pilots MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully First book competition of 2013 - double agent snow Competitions 15
Ageing_Gracefully December Book Competition #1 - THE DOUBLE GAME Competitions 22
Handler Double police shooting Current Affairs 10
BillyNoMates Double tappers web pages. The Internet - Best and Worst 0
T Double posted Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS HMS Campbeltown In Double Sea Rescue The Fleet 8
Salty_Dog Sportsmans Double Blue Jokes 0
The_Black_Pig Double Entendres Miscellaneous 1
labrum Double knee surgery Health & Fitness 10
Rem3pt Logitech Mouse double click stupidness! Bloody Computers 0
soleil 2010 Brings Double Honours For RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
NotmeChief Troop bonus to double Current Affairs 13
J Double entendre The Gash Barge 6
the.rea Double Bagger Diamond Lil's 12
S Double Jointedness? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
westwinds31 IRTC - £534 to double ? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Shakey Everest double glazing Diamond Lil's 2
L Double stacking magazines. The Corps 20
K Double Hatting Part Two Current Affairs 1
Lingyai More double standards regarding terrorists Current Affairs 3
A Teenage Double Murderer jailed Current Affairs 1
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Parliament approves veterans question in next Census MoD News 0
F Question about NSRT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Just a question regarding the initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Public given power to question ‘lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J pre-joining question regarding medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
A Question regarding pre-joining medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6